Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

A few points i want to make

- Debating with Joe Budden.... man all i can say is Tax was 100% right with his frustration :lol: . Son literally made Nadeska define a word out of the dictionary, then when Ak is explaining why he thinks Meek hasn't been humbled Joe States "why do you put so much value into words" :rofl: :rofl:....... this ***** really is a psycho, makes great points at times but damn does he debate just to debate
- Hiphop is A lot more accepting of Feminine energy from a male these days..... They are not more accepting of being Gay. So while the Migos can walk around in blouses & more feminine looking styles they are gonna garner support. Let one of those ****** come out and straight up be a 100% in support of homosexuality (not small hints, not the "assumptions") just straight out fully coming out the closet i guarantee a large part of their CORE fanbase is moving along. Now because they garnered some mainstream success they may get shown love in that light, but those clubs appearances, that show money provided by the "streets" is gonna see a significant slow down

- As far as this constant argument between the generations and what they chose to wear, style themselves etc etc. It's correct, clothing alone doesn't determine your sexuality. I think the main difference between the 90's and now is that

1) Busta, Andre, etc etc were FAR from the norm (and they also got heavy flack for what they were wearing). Nowadays it's almost 50/50 with these rappers wearing seemingly feminine attire
2) It's more than just the clothes with these dudes, it's almost like dudes wanna erase gender as a whole. With those styles or not Busta, Pac, Dre, Quik etc surely kept a heavy masculine presence. these days, alot of the mannerisms, the statements, the slang, & the actions dudes use are heavily feminized. A lot of these newer cats aren't moving like men at all.

Quote:

Personally this is dumb as hell. Using one's clothes to relate to sexuality in any way is ridiculous but in any event, Hip-Hop's obsession with overt and excessive machoism in the name of pride is and has been self destructing, dangerous, and the "Feminizing" of Hip-Hop isn't a 100% bad thing to me. Could use a little of it in my opinion.
It's a classic case of hood definition meets the real world.

But yea the convo has reached it's peak

I was with you until the last part. You was the main one saying these rappers represent a miniscule portion of hip hop, its niche, they not that big blah blah. Can't be both ways bro :lol:

As far as #2, I don't really see a lot of dudes using feminine slang or making feminine "actions"

Edit: I will also say I think because of the demographics of hip hop fans these days that it IS a lot more accepting of being gay for the simple fact that this **** is a whole lot bigger than the streets now. As we've seen with ppl like Logic, G- Eazy, Kyle etc you don't really need the streets at all. The biggest consumers $$$ wise I.e. The ppl cashing out $10 on albums that are completely free and buying $75 merch shirts are a lot more open than the old generation

Last edited:
A few points i want to make

- Debating with Joe Budden.... man all i can say is Tax was 100% right with his frustration :lol: . Son literally made Nadeska define a word out of the dictionary, then when Ak is explaining why he thinks Meek hasn't been humbled Joe States "why do you put so much value into words" :rofl: :rofl:....... this ***** really is a psycho, makes great points at times but damn does he debate just to debate
- Hiphop is A lot more accepting of Feminine energy from a male these days..... They are not more accepting of being Gay. So while the Migos can walk around in blouses & more feminine looking styles they are gonna garner support. Let one of those ****** come out and straight up be a 100% in support of homosexuality (not small hints, not the "assumptions") just straight out fully coming out the closet i guarantee a large part of their CORE fanbase is moving along. Now because they garnered some mainstream success they may get shown love in that light, but those clubs appearances, that show money provided by the "streets" is gonna see a significant slow down

- As far as this constant argument between the generations and what they chose to wear, style themselves etc etc. It's correct, clothing alone doesn't determine your sexuality. I think the main difference between the 90's and now is that

1) Busta, Andre, etc etc were FAR from the norm (and they also got heavy flack for what they were wearing). Nowadays it's almost 50/50 with these rappers wearing seemingly feminine attire
2) It's more than just the clothes with these dudes, it's almost like dudes wanna erase gender as a whole. With those styles or not Busta, Pac, Dre, Quik etc surely kept a heavy masculine presence. these days, alot of the mannerisms, the statements, the slang, & the actions dudes use are heavily feminized. A lot of these newer cats aren't moving like men at all.

Agreed on all points. I didn't catch that Joe **** either :lol:, dude will really twist words and logic whatever way just to make his point right

And definitely agreed on that last point, it's more than just clothes nowadays

I was with you until this. You was the main one saying these rappers represent a miniscule portion of hip hop, its niche, they not that big blah blah :lol:

Uzi particularly 

I'm talking EXCLUSIVELY about the fashion... It isn't just Uzi, Thug & Yachty wearing clothing that would be deemed "feminine" i mean everyone from Ye, Pharrell, Wayne, A$AP Mob, Odd Future, Future, Pusha etc etc are all guys who i have seen be brought up when talking about "feminine clothing" . So yes those artist don't represent hiphop culture as a whole & they may be extremes to a point, but as far as the styling in hiphop it's def A LOT more feminine on a whole compared to a few doing it in the 90's.

Uzi is a perfect example, he's the "extreme" portion of feminine energy in hip hop. So while everyone doesn't dress or act like him, i will say that many rappers are more open than ever to wear clothing that in the past would be seen as "metro sexual" or wouldn't be seen as "manly".

Everyday struggle really going to pretend like 21 Savage didn't just drop one of the best albums of the year :nerd: [emoji]128580[/emoji]

I don't think they even discussed "Issa". Was interested in Joes take.

Last edited:
I'm talking EXCLUSIVELY about the fashion... It isn't just Uzi, Thug & Yachty wearing clothing that would be deemed "feminine" i mean everyone from Ye, Pharrell, Wayne, A$AP Mob, Odd Future, Future, Pusha etc etc are all guys who i have seen be brought up when talking about "feminine clothing" . So yes those artist don't represent hiphop culture as a whole & they may be extremes to a point, but as far as the styling in hiphop it's def A LOT more feminine on a whole compared to a few doing it in the 90's.

Uzi is a perfect example, he's the "extreme" portion of feminine energy in hip hop. So while everyone doesn't dress or act like him, i will say that many rappers are more open than ever to wear clothing that in the past would be seen as "metro sexual" or wouldn't be seen as "manly".

We are also coming off of the the hyper masculine, baggy era. There are some cats stuck in that era that call skinny, slim or fitted jeans "feminine" :lol:. Hell, Cam used to get heat and all he did was rock 5x pink tees and **** :lol:.

And yachty doesn't dress feminine at all. He just gets lumped in with that because of his age range...but dude literally wears nautica, sneakers and jeans all day.

I will say the The fitted clothes and high end fashion era lends to dudes dressing what's more feminine today though. I do believe that. Social media let's us see all this **** too. The Uzi/wiz/asap type dudes represent a niche that isn't reorientative of the entire culture.

Everyday struggle really going to pretend like 21 Savage didn't just drop one of the best albums of the year :nerd: [emoji]128580[/emoji]

I think You already Got Joe's response to the album w/o him even having to zero in on it. He's stated several times that the rap that moves him is lyrical, conceptual, introspective music. He's also stated that he's like album by future, Migos, Uzi etc. Thing is he categorizes those as High quality, low quality music & while some take that as a diss it's about as correct as your gonna get & isn't a lie.

I listen to Future more than most other artist, but i would be lying if i said i'm going into a future project dissecting it or expecting to unlock new things about the project as it grows. Future makes his music pretty face value, there isn't some overwhelming concept, themes stringing things together. It's a project meant to do EXACTLY what most of his projects do & that's great production, excellent melodies & Blatant brass lyrics.

The formula is simple in hindsight but the product is great, with that said i'd be bugging if i was to say Future put as much effort/thought into a project as say Kendrick did with Damn, or Jay did with 4:44.

I've always felt that there is several ways to be lyrical. And imo "Issa"surprisingly is very lyrical. He's telling you exactly what these young dudes in the trenches are thinking... it's pretty dope how he did it. And I was expecting that at all from dude.

Just because you don't have to go back and dissect every word or it's not a million double entendres doesn't mean it's not lyrical. Not saying anybody said that but that's usually the consensus.

I've always felt that there is several ways to be lyrical. And imo "Issa"surprisingly is very lyrical. He's telling you exactly what these young dudes in the trenches are thinking... it's pretty dope how he did it. And I was expecting that at all from dude.

Just because you don't have to go back and dissect every word or it's not a million double entendres doesn't mean it's not lyrical. Not saying anybody said that but that's usually the consensus.

Thank you.

+1

I was with you until this. You was the main one saying these rappers represent a miniscule portion of hip hop, its niche, they not that big blah blah :lol:

Uzi particularly 

You just lumped a whole bunch of _'s in based on misconceptions tho :lol:

I don't think I've seen Yachty wear anything that could be deemed as feminine clothing or gay, ever. If you can find a pic post it. I don't even think he wear skinny jeans.

Odd Future? These _'s are skateboarders that almost exclusively wear skate brands :lol:

The reality is clothing has always changed to fit the trends and there's always been ppl pushing those to the edges. 80s had a distinct more fitted and colorful style. 90s-early 00's was super baggy, workwear/jerseys and then transitioned into tall tees. Now in 2017 you got grimey _'s in the trenches w face tats and strikes fitted up in skinnies :lol:

You also gotta remember these _'s are entertainers tryna build brands, how they look and dress is almost as important as the music. The old Migos in Versace sweatsuits are getting nowhere near a GQ magazine. ASAP without all the high fashion **** would still be a dusty _ in Harlem.

Last edited:

We are also coming off of the the hyper masculine, baggy era. There are some cats stuck in that era that call skinny, slim or fitted jeans "feminine" :lol:. Hell, Cam used to get heat and all he did was rock 5x pink tees and **** :lol:.

And yachty doesn't dress feminine at all. He just gets lumped in with that because of his age range...but dude literally wears nautica, sneakers and jeans all day.

I will say the The fitted clothes and high end fashion era lends to dudes dressing what's more feminine today though. I do believe that. Social media let's us see all this **** too. The Uzi/wiz/asap type dudes represent a niche that isn't reorientative of the entire culture.

_'s are literally wearing woman's clothes. Thug is licking _'s chains, calling men pet names. :lol:

But if you throw it out there that maybe these dudes are just gay "it's OMG how could you say that"

:lol: **** outta here.

That's one extreme from the super gangster times early 90's to 00's to another extreme. Luckily they don't represent all of hip hop.

If all that **** stopped getting reactions they would prolly stop tho. Its like a game.

Thug has literally tweeted "y'all need to chill out coming at me with that gay **** i dont even know where yall get that from", days after doing some blatantly gay **** on IG:lol: .

That thick white girl that used to be his "stylist" said that he would do some **** like paint his nails and put up a pic and then him and his _ would smoke gas and pass around the phone laughing at the flurry of comments that come in. Its a instant viral cheat code.

Last edited:
More like "Albeit odd behavior, since he's not f***ing a guy he's still technically not gay"

We understand this rule book and scale you're using to determine "gay" behavior but outside of having sex with another man it's all conjecture

I still don't fully get the "slim jeans is femine" thing when it comes to hip hop and fashion.

Hip hop originators wore slim and fitted clothing. The baggy era came later. I think it's just cyclical like everything else in fashion. People act like black folks in fitted or slim clothing is some alien concept.

I think it has to do with age ranges too and ardent "real hip hop" supporters tend to cite the 90s artists as real hip hop, so the whole imagery of 90s rappers is used as the baseline.

Now the blouses and dresses, that is clearly European fem fashion influenced but I wouldn't consider that hip hop anyway :lol: But I remember my grandma telling my little 4x tall tee wearing cousins that they looked like they had on dresses or nightgowns and clown pants. That always sticks out to me when this conversation comes up.

But they were wearing super tight jeans and going to discos and **** back then so I don't know. Fashion cycles are weird.

I still don't fully get the "slim jeans is femine" thing when it comes to hip hop and fashion.

Hip hop originators wore slim and fitted clothing. The baggy era came later. I think it's just cyclical like everything else in fashion. People act like black folks in fitted or slim clothing is some alien concept.

I think it has to do with age ranges too and ardent "real hip hop" supporters tend to cite the 90s artists as real hip hop, so the whole imagery of 90s rappers is used as the baseline.

Now the blouses and dresses, that is clearly European fem fashion influenced but I wouldn't consider that hip hop anyway :lol: But I remember my grandma telling my little 4x tall tee wearing cousins that they looked like they had on dresses or nightgowns and clown pants. That always sticks out to me when this conversation comes up.

But they were wearing super tight jeans and going to discos and **** back then so I don't know. Fashion cycles are weird.

Well ****** said!

I still don't fully understand the idea of these ****** wearing or saying things to "troll".

Who's the joke on? If Young Thug calls a man his hubby and I see it...that doesn't equal an album sale or a stream...so what's the point?

I think most of these ****** are simply being themselves and you *****'s believe they're "trolling".

I remember my grandma telling my little 4x tall tee wearing cousins that they looked like they had on dresses or nightgowns and clown pants. That always sticks out to me when this conversation comes up.

Bruh...first time my mama saw me and the homies draped in tall tees she said the same exact ****. She actually got mad :lol:

Literally the first thing I thought of tho when ASAP went on 106 and everybody said he was wearing a dress.

Last edited:

Savage Mode is way better. There's easily 10 albums you can put in front of Issa. And if we're including mixtapes, yikes...

Last edited:
Relevant to this thread, Vic Mensa had heels on when he went on "Wildn' Out" recently

View media item 2490502
I feel like this pic itself shows how rappers from the 90's look vs rappers today look. One looks "outdated", one looks a little sweet.

I still don't fully understand the idea of these ****** wearing or saying things to "troll".

Who's the joke on? If Young Thug calls a man his hubby and I see it...that doesn't equal an album sale or a stream...so what's the point?

I think most of these ****** are simply being themselves and you *****'s believe they're "trolling".

Exactly. It ain't trolling. Thugger is blatantly either bisexual, or gay. Ain't no way around it. No full grown man is going to joke around like that. Isn't he like 25 or 26 years old? Men in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. were obnoxiously feminine with their style of dressing. The 90s and early 2000s were really the only time oversized and baggy clothes were trendy.

It lasted a good 15 years. People have overblown the era of baggy clothing, as if it lasted for a century. But as far as content, the sexual innuendos these dudes use blatantly signify that their a bit feminine or are homosexual (I'm talking music ONLY, not clothing. The clothing is irrelevant). Not to mention these dudes doing all sorts of hard drugs, pills, etc. that for sure contributes to their sexualities. Drugs, especially the rave style drugs these dudes partake in, really does make them feminine.

I see it first hand in the hood. All the dudes who pop pills and other type of drugs like that, are suspect. Ever since molly, exstacy, etc. reached the hood, it has feminized these dudes.

Last edited:

This is where we are just gonna agree to disagree, If a ***** tell me he just go in the studio & say the first thing on his chest, sure it can equal good music but it's not gonna be good lyrically. If your not putting real thought and effort into what your saying i'm not gonna call it lyrical, minimal vocabulary, lacking detail, showcasing emotion in the blandest way possible doesn't equal a good lyricist/writer to me. Now you can make impactful meaningfull music w/o being lyrical (ex Jeezy) but that's usually translated by having incredible charisma & wit.

Has anyone came up with an explanation of this yet :lol: I remember seeing it on twitter years ago and being perplexed and a little upset w/ myself because I couldn't deny that the song went hard :lol:

Back
Top Bottom