Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

If ya'll never been to a Bayou Classic weekend, you missing out.

Almost went last year. My wife went to Southern and I've always wanted to go. Cash Money and No Limit ain't around like that though so I needed to go back in 98-00.

So Far Gone is a classic. In this day and age where an album isn’t discernibly different from a mixtape, I don’t want to hear that “it’s not an album” semantics stuff. :lol:

Also, mf’s gonna come around to Scorpion in time. That album was a solid effort. Watch.

I’m not Drake’s biggest fan. ****, to this day I still haven’t listened to either Take Care or NWTS in full. But to deny son’s run, and overall place in rap is wild imo. Being as objective as I can be, no one’s seent a run like Drake’s.

When was the last time you played so far gone? You ain’t even divulge details NWTS and Take Care. None of us is denying his presence, but we’re saying his success is tainted.

“In rap” no one’s seen a run like Drake :rofl:

2pac, jay-z, OutKast, Wayne, runs have ALWAYS happened. Not to mention, hip hop wasn’t embraced in totality back in the 80s, 90s, etc.

Nowadays everybody wants a piece of rap music. These new acts are beneficiaries

Drake has great albums and makes great music but an emcee not writing their rhymes might not bother yall but it does change the way I look at them. I’m a dinosaur though.

A few reasons why I'm not a fan of Drake

1. He's a pop star, he makes pop music but many consider him a rapper cause he's half black. He makes a lot of very generic and radio music, I don't consider him a rapper. Some of y'all think it's hate, it ain't. He's a pop star.

2. He can't sing. I listen to mad R&B, I want to hear people that can really sing. Not what he does.

3. I also think he gets passes and advantages that black rappers don't get because they're black so his streak isn't as impressive. If he was black and dark, career wouldn't be anything like it is. Drake is some **** families listen to together on a road trip or at a wedding. His music is safe, rap ain't safe to me. He doesn't make music for me.

4. Drake got some fire songs, I've heard 4-5 of his albums and not a single classic or a great album for me.

+ I'm listening to WFAN (NY Sports Radio Show) right now. Bart Scott says white families love Drake, NON THREATENING BLACK GUY. Just said that **** after I posted this.

Nobody considers him a rapper because hes half black :lol:

Nobody considers him a rapper because hes half black :lol:

Yeah right, he doesn't have the rapper image or sound. If you were blind, you would put him with MGK and G Eazy before you put him with YG or Jay Rock.

When he does his rapper act, it's an act and people find it funny.

Last edited:
Yeah right, he doesn't have the rapper image or sound. If you were blind, you would put him with MGK and G Eazy before you put him with YG or Jay Rock.

When he doesn't his rapper act, it's an act and people find it funny.
I get what u mean
But it just sounds like u grasping
I get why folks don’t like dude
I really do

Drake has great albums and makes great music but an emcee not writing their rhymes might not bother yall but it does change the way I look at them. I’m a dinosaur though.

tenor.gif

I never understand the Drake hate on NT

He’s gonna go down as one of the greats at this point, all the semantics *****s argue don’t even hold weight when it comes to those “of all time” convos for artists

That’s not me saying he’s THE goat, that belongs to Jay, no argument

But the people who wouldn’t place him on there would’ve never placed him there even before the QM ****

I ain’t going back and forth about it neither

A5D7F4DD-A032-448C-A8CF-45D9B734EC8E.gif

Because his music reeks of kotex and estrogen

I always judge fans off if they still play some of these "great" songs and albums by said musicians. Or, will they dismiss, and blame it on their "short attention" spans.

One those "i forgot about that song. I haven't heard it in YEARS" type people :lol:

When he doesn't his rapper act, it's an act and people find it funny.

When he does his rapper act, it's an act and people find it funny.

And what is the rapper image and sound? I'm honestly not getting what you're saying in this instance. Because all it seems like you're saying is hes not black enough. Break it down a little more for me if you like

And the putting him with the MGK / G-eazy statement is false. MGK raps and occasionally does rock ****, while G eazy just raps. Just cuz he dont rap about street **** dont mean he closer to them than to Jay Rock and YG. The fact that he has music that fits more in line with a Jay Rock and YG tells you that. Drake got his buzz from rapping. I and many have heard of him from rapping over the A Milly beat and Kanye Say you will beat and killing it. You make it seem like he make bubblegum pop music and he doesn't rap at all when the majority of his **** is rapping with singing sprinkled in. He has yet to have a project where he's full on out singing.

And what act does he put on. It's not as if he's ever tried to fit into the traditional rapper street ***** act.

The rapper "image" is that of one who doesn't pander to the government or play both sides. Hip is a byproduct of guys like Curtis Mayfield and James Brown who fought for the disenfranchised.

Drake wears blackface. So, he doesn't fit that image. Rap is of the hoods and ghettos. Drake ain't that.

MGK and G-Easy aren't of it either. Therefore, he fits in with it.

Drake got his buzz off people recognizing him from Degrassi. And he has had tons of ghostwriting so, who knows how much he's really penned on his own.

He's a professionally trained actor...

Lastly, a pop artist

I get every point Hahahaha Hahahaha is making. It’s the same thing with The Rock and is movie career. That safeness and racial ambiguity really helps him out.

For a long time, The Rock would deny being black and wanted to be white and samoan or some ****. Times have changed now The Rock wants to talk about being black and put his fist up and blah blah. Nah fam, I remember what you were doing back in 98.

You can't play both sides, same reason why Drake said what he said about racism in in Canada. He didn't experience it and he doesn't see colors. Cause he doesn't want to make anyone from his fanbase mad and keep those Arab/Asian/White fans that are allowed to listen to him at a kids birthday party. "Oh Susie, that's Drake" turn it up. FOH

The rock was in the Nation of Domination.

Pretty sure he didn't want to be in there but Vince placed him there.

I mean this is over 20 years ago but there were a lot of reports about him telling people he was samoan and didn't want to be referred to as black or something along those lines. I haven't watched wrestling in probably 20 years but I'm sure there's people on NT that are familiar.

Drake wears blackface. So, he doesn't fit that image. Rap is of the hoods and ghettos. Drake ain't that.

MGK and G-Easy aren't of it either. Therefore, he fits in with it.

I'm not arguing the case that him being half white hasnt benefited him. I'm talking strictly about being considered a rapper

If what is bolded is the basis in which what a rapper has to be under to be considered a rapper then that is BS and I'm not rockin with it at all. That's close minded, restrictive nonsense.

And I know I'm gon sound like I'm defending him and yall gon get the jokes off and call me a stan and all that. That's cool. But if this is the consensus of what a rapper has to fit, then that's complete BS

Last edited:
I never understand the Drake hate on NT

He’s gonna go down as one of the greats at this point, all the semantics *****s argue don’t even hold weight when it comes to those “of all time” convos for artists

That’s not me saying he’s THE goat, that belongs to Jay, no argument

But the people who wouldn’t place him on there would’ve never placed him there even before the QM ****

I ain’t going back and forth about it neither

A5D7F4DD-A032-448C-A8CF-45D9B734EC8E.gif
It's really nothing to understand. Everybody's music ain't for everybody. It's people that don't like Jay, Pac or Big. No rapper is above having haters.

Drake is talented and he's made some good music but a lot of music is empty. He just sings and raps about safe, easy to digest topics and at this point he's not even creative with it. And of course the ghostwriter **** is gonna follow him forever.

Pretty sure he didn't want to be in there but Vince placed him there.

I mean this is over 20 years ago but there were a lot of reports about him telling people he was samoan and didn't want to be referred to as black or something along those lines. I haven't watched wrestling in probably 20 years but I'm sure there's people on NT that are familiar.
Rock definitely tries to be racially ambiguous. He knows how to play the game. I will never forget that movie where the world was ending and his daughter was white as ****. :lol:

It's really nothing to understand. Everybody's music ain't for everybody. It's people that don't like Jay, Pac or Big. No rapper is above having haters.

Drake is talented and he's made some good music but a lot of music is empty. He just sings and raps about safe, easy to digest topics and at this point he's not even creative with it. And of course the ghostwriter **** is gonna follow him forever.

You see I respect this. If this is the basis on why you dont like him that's understandable. The problem for me when it comes to these debates is that people have this irrational hate for dude goes beyond music. To the point where its seemed like a personal bias.

Back
Top Bottom