Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Full on boycott would be the most sensible thing as a collective, but cats not about that life.

I’m rolling my eyes because it’s all lip service with a majority of these situations. Folks don’t really care.
i could afford gucci
but i wont support them

Yeah i'm not interested in no unorganized boycott calls. Problem is folks want to shout it but no one wants to own it and put a plan in action, and that's not just posting how you feel it should be on social media.

We sell ourselves short bro (word to Ye).

People hear or see black-owned and won’t pay for 500 the polo.

Then they go to Gucci drop 595, rock that **** to the club/ vacation/ all over the gram.

Make the kids (white and black) think it’s the new wave since it’s all over their gram and help them (Gucci, Louis, etc) to earn more money/ respect in our community smh.

The whole time they they making blackface sweaters and paying for their kids tuition with our bread.

Last edited:
I watched Mike's interview and a lot of that is applicable to a host issues that call for boycotts. Mike is solid in my book.

But for the sake of discussion, lets isolate this to the conversation of Gucci, Dapper Dan, and Clifford.

Gucci pulled some ****, black people recognize that it's foul. One of their solutions is to patch things up with Dan, who was propped up in the black community for decades, but only gained a seat at their table within the past 2 years.

If Dan, the man the urban community applauded and championed, chose to walk away from Gucci and start his own brand, it's conceivable that his stand for solidarity would be reciprocated by the black community in supporting his brand.

I rock with TI, but I stand by what I said when I called boycotting for 3 months some asinine ****. That's like cheating on your spouse and taking them back after you get lonely and think your absence has caused them to suffer enough, when the reality of the matter is that you may be better off growing a backbone and walking away.

Mf's really calling for putting Gucci in time out.

Cats don't realize that black culture influences the world in more ways than we even realize.
I don't know if Dapper Dan he has took steps to starts his own or how much he's relying on the money he gets from Gucci. It sounds good to tell him to leave but we ain't in his shoes.

From a technical standpoint Dap operated his own store and brand for years.

The question is would dudes have paid the same for double DDs instead of Double Gs?

It’s clear dude knows how to make a good product and he knows his ****. The question is how much do we value his name?

I don't know if Dapper Dan he has took steps to starts his own or how much he's relying on the money he gets from Gucci. It sounds good to tell him to leave but we ain't in his shoes.

Nah that’s absolutely fair to say.

Just speaking from the perspective of a black consumer, I’d imagine a lot of us would support homie if he made that move.

It’s his call ultimately, and I’m no one to knock him if he chooses to stay with the company.

Just looks funny in the light.

Idk if y’all got **** like this in other areas....but in DC/Baltimore, ***** used to blow big bread on these back in th day. Some them sets $300 and up.

A1CFB4FF-7179-47B7-A7F7-9502FADA6C98.jpeg
47AF846C-B307-45A2-84C3-7A33ED628B61.jpeg

Yeah i'm not interested in no unorganized boycott calls. Problem is folks want to shout it but no one wants to own it and put a plan in action, and that's not just posting how you feel it should be on social media.
imo boycott aint gotta be organized
u do it for ur own reasons
not because everyone else is or isnt doing it
like nfl i dont care if folks watch
im not watching caus i dont want to
gucci did some ignorant ****
i dont need ti
or dapper dan or anyone else to try and persuade me
in my mind
what they did was outta line and offended me
as a black man and human being
so idc if no one else is boycotting
but im not gonna give them my hard earned dollars

From a technical standpoint Dap operated his own store and brand for years.

The question is would dudes have paid the same for double DDs instead of Double Gs?

It’s clear dude knows how to make a good product and he knows his ****. The question is how much do we value his name?
Yeah he definitely has relationships and a customer base but he was remixing Gucci's clothes for rappers and athelets I don't know if he woulda been that big if it was his own brand.
Nah that’s absolutely fair to say.

Just speaking from the perspective of a black consumer, I’d imagine a lot of us would support homie if he made that move.

It’s his call ultimately, and I’m no one to knock him if he chooses to stay with the company.

Just looks funny in the light.
I agree as far as customers boycotting cuz it's a lot of other brands to rock. I've never been into any of these high fashion brands so I don't know what people should do if they've spent thousands on Gucci. Burn it? Throw it away? Does Guwop need to change his name?

But it's tough to tell somebody to walk away from a job when people ain't doing that in regular society.

Yeah he definitely has relationships and a customer base but he was remixing Gucci's clothes for rappers and athelets I don't know if he woulda been that big if it was his own brand.

That’s the mind**** bro. We clearly know this dude knows quality and designs but you’re right people won’t buy it for the same prices if it’s just that ‘Dap ****.

That’s what I mean when I say we don’t value our own the same way.

The fact that this is even a real topic is crazy. ****** don’t need $300 socks or headbands ever. How asinine is it of us to act like a day boycott of an extremely luxury item is doing something lol? To even make that public makes us as a people look like a joke.

Last edited:
Really man the **** just gotta start giving more attention to ****** who only rock black designers. That will change **** for these fashion houses real quick.

Full on boycott would be the most sensible thing as a collective, but cats not about that life.

I’m rolling my eyes because it’s all lip service with a majority of these situations. Folks don’t really care.

We gotta stop thinking a full on boycott is happening for anything and make realistic goals. And also stop focusing so much on the ones who ain't reacting the way we want.

Another ironic thing is almost all hip hop related clothing brands were started because the white brands wouldn’t embrace or show love to our culture.

Adidas wasn’t showing RUN-DMC love so Russ started Phat Farm.

I believe iceberg wouldn’t show Jay love so they started Rocawear.

Obviously other brands followed suit after seeing the success.

For a while the rapper related clothing brands were all the wave but I guess that too kinda changed in the mid to late 2000s.

Recently there’s been a huge trend in luxury goods but it wouldn’t be so bad to revisit that era. We just have to value it the same.

The hard part about a purely luxury company is that at beginning someone has to say this is worth it. Virgil was lucky to Kanye and his legions of Stan’s willing to buy whatever Ye said was the wave. Kanye really should’ve just kept Off-white and Just Don under Donda but maybe that wasn’t an option.

Last edited:
Give all the Gucci to the homeless.

We’re talking about a group of people who have spent their whole check on one outfit. We know that ain’t happening bro. I hate to downplay us like that but it’s true.

What’s funny is it is really easy to just not buy anymore of the new ****. Dudes can still rock their old **** if they gotta I ain’t judging. If that’s all you got that’s all you got.

Granted it’s easier than ever to resell even your old luxury **** now so that’s probably not a good excuse after like 30 days.

We gotta stop thinking a full on boycott is happening for anything and make realistic goals. And also stop focusing so much on the ones who ain't reacting the way we want.

Glad this wasn't the mindset in the civil Rights era and the early 1900s. A boycott is realistic. We used to do it. Problem is nothing unifies us anymore.

Back
Top Bottom