Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I understand why cats can get "triggered" by the dusty comment and the sentiment some hiphop heads have towards older hiphop. There isn't a real respect for the OG's that laid down the foundation and hiphop fans are for the most part fickle. Legends get routinely disrespected in this artform and its something you don't see in other genres.

You can still see some of the biggest artists in other genres sell out arenas and yet most older artists in hiphop have to go overseas to be appreciated and sell out shows. I remember seeing a video of a Rakim set and the God was rocking the MIC while *****s was just standing around messing with they phones. They ain't give one single ****. It was like people didn't care what he had to say and was waiting for the next pill popper to hop on stage. There's a real disconnect in this culture between the old and young and I don't know how you bring em together.

I try my best to give everything a chance even if I know in my heart that it might be a weed plate. As long as I keep an open mind to listen and expand to other lanes inside this artform, I feel like it can bridge the gap kinda bit. idk man, let me stop ramblin.
I don't think anyone is triggered by the term "dusty", I think its the fact that its kind of become a catch all way to dismiss lyricism. Along with "boring" or "old". Like rapping well at a high level is exclusive to people above the age of 35, I hope that's not the case

We talking passed each other. I think y’all are kinda missing the point. Yes, @the 7th mile went to the extreme. That should’ve been obvious :lol:. And delete1234 delete1234 seems to be returning energy...and is clearly on a young ***** over everything campaign :lol:. I think y’all really
Caught up on the “dusty” part tho. Y’all make jokes 24/7 about “Drake fans”....you think a shot ain’t going to be returned. And this is objectively from the outside looking in.

When I go to a Boosie concert...I know what type of crowd I’m mostly running into. Ratchett and Country. All the Scammers going to be at an A Boogie or Money Man Concert. Drake concert....pretty much everybody and pop crowd. Cole Concert...Everyman, fake smart people and people who grew up on him. Eminem/Logic going to have “THOSE” type. You know what you’ll get at a Trippie red/famous dex crowd. Etc etc. Doesn’t mean within that, there can’t be appreciation too.

But please understand...people who don’t feel subsets of any of those sub-genres are going to say something slick. That’s how it goes :lol:. Being from the golden era, or resembling it today doesn’t make it exempt.

I hadn't previously associated the angry guy with those tactics before (or hadn't noticed it)...but when I seen Wavez tag in...I knew what time it was and checked out of that whole back and forth :lol:

He been low key doing this for a minute now :lol:

Ever since that sabbatical he took last summer...he hasn't missed an opportunity yet :lol:

We talking passed each other. I think y’all are kinda missing the point. Yes, @the 7th mile went to the extreme. That should’ve been obvious :lol:. And delete1234 delete1234 seems to be returning energy...and is clearly on a young ***** over everything campaign :lol:. I think y’all really
Caught up on the “dusty” part tho. Y’all make jokes 24/7 about “Drake fans”....you think a shot ain’t going to be returned. And this is objectively from the outside looking in.

When I go to a Boosie concert...I know what type of crowd I’m mostly running into. Ratchett and Country. All the Scammers going to be at an A Boogie or Money Man Concert. Drake concert....pretty much everybody and pop crowd. Cole Concert...Everyman, fake smart people and people who grew up on him. Eminem/Logic going to have “THOSE” type. You know what you’ll get at a Trippie red/famous dex crowd. Etc etc. Doesn’t mean within that, there can’t be appreciation too.

But please understand...people who don’t feel subsets of any of those sub-genres are going to say something slick. That’s how it goes :lol:. Being from the golden era, or resembling it today doesn’t make it exempt.

Man eff what they talking about :lol: when you coming back to Houston bruh

OVO Boyz Unruly.

Maddas. :pimp:

:rofl: :rofl:

****** still mad I didn’t give them that satisfaction last year :lol: #DealWitIt

giphy.gif

I don't think anyone is triggered by the term "dusty", I think its the fact that its kind of become a catch all way to dismiss lyricism. Along with "boring" or "old". Like rapping well at a high level is exclusive to people above the age of 35, I hope that's not the case

What percentage of hiphop listeners do you think care about lyricism over a catchy beat and hooks? Depending on the circles you travel in, you might see different, but in my day to day most people could care less about lyrics. They just want some catchy to listen to while riding in the whip, being in the club, or chillin in the crib.

What percentage of hiphop listeners do you think care about lyricism over a catchy beat and hooks? Depending on the circles you travel in, you might see different, but in my day to day most people could care less about lyrics. They just want some catchy to listen to while riding in the whip, being in the club, or chillin in the crib.
Hip-Hop listeners is too broad for me to give you a number. Its consumed world wide so who knows but in my day debating, comparing, and memorizing verses were very important. It was the main reason we used the phrase "Nice" and it was a way to measure skill or talent

Back
Top Bottom