Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

:lol: :rofl:

Bruh on his lil government issued tracfone still selling me out. The h**** always been hot in then pants for me so, I mean that’s water under the bridge

Calling it dusty is funny to me. None of the youngins I know call it dusty music though. That dusty sound is iconic. Iconic like beats by the pound, g funk and them lex Luger drums

Homie on here jumped the shark when he said we can’t listen to benny unless we are on the block.

Ehhh some of this new stuff cool, a lot are some weirdos and trash. Let's not act like there wasn't trash back in the day too.

Don't act like your favorites aren't sampling these "dusty old heads" though.

Gotta respect the older generation and the foundation too.

We talking passed each other. I think y’all are kinda missing the point. Yes, the 7th mile the 7th mile went to the extreme. That should’ve been obvious :lol:. And @mrwavez seems to be returning energy...and is clearly on a young ***** over everything campaign :lol:. I think y’all really
Caught up on the “dusty” part tho. Y’all make jokes 24/7 about “Drake fans”....you think a shot ain’t going to be returned. And this is objectively from the outside looking in.

When I go to a Boosie concert...I know what type of crowd I’m mostly running into. Ratchett and Country. All the Scammers going to be at an A Boogie or Money Man Concert. Drake concert....pretty much everybody and pop crowd. Cole Concert...Everyman, fake smart people and people who grew up on him. Eminem/Logic going to have “THOSE” type. You know what you’ll get at a Trippie red/famous dex crowd. Etc etc. Doesn’t mean within that, there can’t be appreciation too.

But please understand...people who don’t feel subsets of any of those sub-genres are going to say something slick. That’s how it goes :lol:. Being from the golden era, or resembling it today doesn’t make it exempt.

there's obviously a disconnect.
when I was younger I feel like we had more respect for what came before our time but that's probably because it was still being played on the radio. a lot.
now there's a whole generation out there that have never heard artists that we feel like everybody knows.

if you're born in say 2000 you're 19 or about to be 19 this year...that means all you know is mumble rap at this point unless your parents drilled the stuff we came up with in the 90s and back in your head as a kid. most didn't, obviously so here we are now.

I think the appeal of Griselda is the consistency, the quality and the little details. like its the most authentic thing (IMO) I've seen and heard in a long, long time.
watching westside gunn move is like seeing any one of us that have a real love for hip hop being able to live out our dreams and working with exactly the ppl we grew up listening to making the exact music we would want to the way we would want to do it.

I grew up on 96-end of 97 nWo
I grew up on wutang, mobb deep, cnn, etc.
I get all of their references and all of that because we're in the same age group.

its right up my alley.

but if I was 19 and grew up on future and drake I would look at ppl rocking with Griselda as weird and not understand it.

but its not solely about NY stuff that sounds like the 90s or anything. its about quality. I rocked with bankroll fresh hard. he was consistent and he dropped quality music. he could write. he was nice IMO.

its a shame that ppl would rather name call then be honest about the quality of mainstream music going down.
however its dope seeing ppl that come from nothing live out their dreams and basically save hip hop for those of us that rock with their style of music.

We gotta find middle ground we need balance
that's the problem. there isn't any balance. its 4242342342 rappers that can't rap, that don't rap and that can't sing singing on the radio about absolutely nothing.
then r and b artists can't sing and want to rap.

meanwhile we have to go through 30 pages of bull on youtube just to find someone underground to lead us to underground artists doing what should be done in the mainstream.
it wasn't like that before at all but everything is about a dollar now so here we are. labels chasing the next ybm lil jay jay...

Look....I **** with Wu, Mobb etc etc.

But y’all acting befuddled at the thought of 20 somethings calling that type of music from the early to mid 90s “dusy” or old :lol:. It’s a pejorative, and at times misplaced catchall on hallway, boom bap rap...like y’all do with “mumble rap”....but as with the latter...there’s some truth in there.

Ever been to one of them concerts where them types of dudes are performing? I’ve been. and you going to see ***** dressed like its 2005, reeking of Newport’s and E&J...and hating everything new :lol:. That doesn’t mean the music doesn’t have a time and place, Audience, appeal or isn’t great. Just a certain segment not going to feel it. That’s ok.

Damn, not even Henny or Dusse...E&J :lol:

We talking passed each other. I think y’all are kinda missing the point. Yes, the 7th mile the 7th mile went to the extreme. That should’ve been obvious :lol:. And @mrwavez seems to be returning energy...and is clearly on a young ***** over everything campaign :lol:. I think y’all really
Caught up on the “dusty” part tho. Y’all make jokes 24/7 about “Drake fans”....you think a shot ain’t going to be returned. And this is objectively from the outside looking in.

When I go to a Boosie concert...I know what type of crowd I’m mostly running into. Ratchett and Country. All the Scammers going to be at an A Boogie or Money Man Concert. Drake concert....pretty much everybody and pop crowd. Cole Concert...Everyman, fake smart people and people who grew up on him. Eminem/Logic going to have “THOSE” type. You know what you’ll get at a Trippie red/famous dex crowd. Etc etc. Doesn’t mean within that, there can’t be appreciation too.

But please understand...people who don’t feel subsets of any of those sub-genres are going to say something slick. That’s how it goes :lol:. Being from the golden era, or resembling it today doesn’t make it exempt.

Who are all these people upset and offended?

Drake's fans get clowned into oblivion because some of them act like what he's doing musically has never been done before and some of them refuse to accept any kind of honest criticism towards his music. They dismiss it as hate and look for any opportunity to leap frog him ahead of others. He cant even do features without ****** calling It "charity" like he ain't ******* seek some of these people his self. They're stans disguised as regular fans

Cudi and Meek :" He killed him, he's the g.o.a.t, aint no lines being crossed they started it no mercy"
Pusha: "Man who cares, he raps about the same **** all the time, he foul he aint have to put that in a song, he's irrelevant"

that's the problem. there isn't any balance. its 4242342342 rappers that can't rap, that don't rap and that can't sing singing on the radio about absolutely nothing.
then r and b artists can't sing and want to rap.

meanwhile we have to go through 30 pages of bull on youtube just to find someone underground to lead us to underground artists doing what should be done in the mainstream.
it wasn't like that before at all but everything is about a dollar now so here we are. labels chasing the next ybm lil jay jay...

Painting with broad strokes. The underground is always going to be underground. That’s why it’s called....the underground. They’re going to have their success (ie- Griselda). One can look at Joey B4da$$, action Bronson etc having success on a major, mainstream level.

Not only that...y’all really overstate the impact and staying power of the “lil’s” y’all claim are dominating the rap game. The cream alway rises to the top...and what lil gimmick kid that’s a clone without real talent...will be disposed once the kids who are his fans grow....and another comes along.

It’s cyclical. There’s a disconnect for sure. Take a grander look at the music scene from another eye view. I think you’d see a more diverse market than you think. The barrier to entry and roadblocks have been removed...and there is space for literally, everything.

Yes..there’s a lot of trash. There’s also a lot of good. There is a lot of....ALOT...because of the internet. There’s something for everybody out there man.

Drake's fans get clowned into oblivion because some of them act like what he's doing musically has never been done before and some of them refuse to accept any kind of honest criticism towards his music. They dismiss as hate and look for any opportunity to leap frog him ahead of others. He cant even do features without *****s calling It "charity" like he ain't ****ing seek some of these people his self. They're stans disguised as regular fans

Cudi and Meek :" He killed him, he's the g.o.a.t, aint no lines being crossed they started it no mercy"
Pusha: "Man who cares, he raps about the same **** all the time, he foul he aint have to put that in a song, he's irrelevant"
Stopped reading once you changed your font to Times New Dusty.
3EFF2D1A-A65B-4841-B354-CADC05FF3577.gif

I understand why cats can get "triggered" by the dusty comment and the sentiment some hiphop heads have towards older hiphop. There isn't a real respect for the OG's that laid down the foundation and hiphop fans are for the most part fickle. Legends get routinely disrespected in this artform and its something you don't see in other genres.

You can still see some of the biggest artists in other genres sell out arenas and yet most older artists in hiphop have to go overseas to be appreciated and sell out shows. I remember seeing a video of a Rakim set and the God was rocking the MIC while ****** was just standing around messing with they phones. They ain't give one single ****. It was like people didn't care what he had to say and was waiting for the next pill popper to hop on stage. There's a real disconnect in this culture between the old and young and I don't know how you bring em together.

I try my best to give everything a chance even if I know in my heart that it might be a weed plate. As long as I keep an open mind to listen and expand to other lanes inside this artform, I feel like it can bridge the gap kinda bit. idk man, let me stop ramblin.

Back
Top Bottom