Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I’m going out on a limb but

Eminem wouldn’t be as big as he is, had his career came about in this era...

Imagine the tape of him saying the N word coming out today...L

Imagine him talking about killin his mom ex girl etc today?

Idk if he ever mentioned rape but did he did RIP, feminists will castrate him (not really mad at them doing that, that rape **** is weird)

People are already turning on him today and he ain’t even do anything bad these days.

He would still sell ala g eazy, mgk, etc but no way he gets respect and stuff from the hip hop culture like today he does.

In this error the song Kim would've got Em banned from every radio station and award show

Also on Eminems very first single with Dr. dre he was advocating for a dude to rape a girl who was drunk and passed out

Dude been had to go. He hasn't resonated to the core hip hop culture since 04....and been making the same corny, pop anthems with pop features since 09. Almost yearly. Macklemore, Logic, MGK, G-Easy exist in that lane now. With G-Eazy at least attempting to touch the consciousness of the base of hip hop culture with "FDT" and "It ain't safe"....and touring with Bay Area legends.

To Em's benefit and detriment....he became solely a pop rapper that appealed to mostly white crowds and his core fan base after a certain point. He trended way too far into being solely a pop rapper, and not a rap, rapper that touches the hip hop and pop bases. He lost touch a long time ago.

Honestly i think he should just continue to cater to his fanbase & people who wanna hear extremely lyrical rap. I didn't hear the song but based off the explanation they gave he seems to be confused as to why the broader hiphop fans don't relate. Take a look at the **** the broader hiphop fans are accepting... why in the **** would Em who's a rap nerd & loves every detail of the culture want to appeal to people who don't care about any of that.

He's making this hard on himself artistically by trying to please everyone, Em's gonna forever sell. So if he thinks the newer generation doesn't accept what he wants to bring to the table **** THEM & make the music for those who do like what he brings. Just release a CD full of Raps & **** who don't like it, it's that simple. He's one of the few afforded that luxury.

I remember being young and cringing hard as **** at these :rofl:

I didn't really know anybody outside the hood yet so I was just confused like who is bumping this ****? :nerd:

Imagine being a young adult seeing that. :lol:

I was befuddled, his music is and never was for me. Nothing I can relate too.

Just goes to show, even with all the the trash out here these days like future ( :nerd: wavy wya)

It’s not easy to make it in these times...a lot of these old dudes if they came it today people wouldn’t even rock w/ them

Just goes to show, even with all the the trash out here these days like future ( :nerd: wavy wya)

It’s not easy to make it in these times...a lot of these old dudes if they came it today people wouldn’t even rock w/ them

What? People think Lil Yachty can rap. Lil Pump has fans. It's easier than it's ever been to make it in hip hop.

I was never a huge fan and always wondered why he was being put on such a high pedestal. When I first heard "My name is" I thought it was cheesy as hell.

But songs like Renegade, Stan, and White America put him on a super high lyrical tier.

His subject matter just isn't for me and never was. He just came at the perfect time and filled a void honestly.

Em would be just as big if not bigger in this Era.... as far as mainstream went a lot of his superstardom came from pissing people off & doing Comedic ****. In this Era of PC people & social media Em would be just as successful.

People have become real prisoners of the moment when it comes to Em. He gave people a real opening to try to tear down his legacy.

His last few albums have been borderline trash (I kinda liked Relapse and Encore isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Maybe I'm buggin', though.

Imagine being a young adult seeing that. :lol:

I was befuddled, his music is and never was for me. Nothing I can relate too.

I feel like I'm walkin' a tight rope without a circus net
Poppin' Percocet, I'm a nervous wreck
I deserve respect but I work a sweat for this worthless check
I'm about to burst this Tec at somebody to reverse this debt
Minimum wage got my adrenaline caged
Full of venom and rage, especially when I'm engaged
And my daughter's down to her last diaper, it's got my *** hyper
I pray that God answers, maybe I'll ask nicer
Watchin' ballers while they're flossin' in their Pathfinders
These overnight stars becomin' autograph-signers
We all long to blow up and leave the past behind us
Along with the small fries and average half-pinters
But player-haters turnin' ***** like they have vaginas
Cause we see them dollar signs and let the cash blind us
Money'll brainwash you and leave your *** mindless
When snakes slither in the grass spineless

I can only speak for myself, but Eminem has a lot of music that is VERY relatable if you grew up not so well off. It seems like we always have to get into hyperbole when we discuss Em. Him not being relatable is kind of perplexing to me.

And I try
Sit alone and I cry
Yo I won't tell no lie
Not a moment goes by
That I don't pray to the sky
Please, I'm beggin' you God
Please don't let me be pigeon holed in no regular job
Yo I hope you can hear me homie wherever you are
Yo, I'm telling you dog I'm bailing this trailer tomorrow
Tell my mother I love her, kiss baby sister goodbye
Say whenever you need me, baby, I'm never too far
But yo I gotta get out there the only way I know
And I'ma be back for you the second that I blow
On everything I own
I'll make it on my own
Off to work I go
Back to this 8 Mile Road

Is this not relatable? Is the swapping of 'trailer' for 'tiny one bedroom apartment' really that big of a difference?

Honest question, because I've always heard people say they can't relate, but there are a bunch of Em songs I specifically relate to growing up poor and frustrated.

Honestly i think he should just continue to cater to his fanbase & people who wanna hear extremely lyrical rap. I didn't hear the song but based off the explanation they gave he seems to be confused as to why the broader hiphop fans don't relate. Take a look at the **** the broader hiphop fans are accepting... why in the **** would Em who's a rap nerd & loves every detail of the culture want to appeal to people who don't care about any of that.

He's making this hard on himself artistically by trying to please everyone, Em's gonna forever sell. So if he thinks the newer generation doesn't accept what he wants to bring to the table **** THEM & make the music for those who do like what he brings. Just release a CD full of Raps & **** who don't like it, it's that simple. He's one of the few afforded that luxury.

Eminem could be a "rap nerd" or great technical rapper all he wants. That doesn't excuse the fact that he made (and continues to make) "Just lose it", "Asss like that", "Not afraid", "love the way you lie", Rap God, the monster etc etc etc. Just because he's an "extremely lyrical rapper" doesn't mean he's making good music.

He's just been flat out wack since 04. Great rapper in his prime. Been washed for over a decade. We know his formula now. Big stadium anthem/call and repeat single with a pop star singing on the hook. And uninspired tracks throughout. That's what he does now.

Crack a bottle and Fast Lane were dope though :pimp:.

People have become real prisoners of the moment when it comes to Em. He gave people a real opening to try to tear down his legacy.

His last few albums have been borderline trash (I kinda liked Relapse and Encore isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Maybe I'm buggin', though.

I can only speak for myself, but Eminem has a lot of music that is VERY relatable if you grew up not so well off. It seems like we always have to get into hyperbole when we discuss Em. Him not being relatable is kind of perplexing to me.

And I try
Sit alone and I cry
Yo I won't tell no lie
Not a moment goes by
On everything I own
I'll make it on my own
Off to work I go
Back to this 8 Mile Road

Is this not relatable? Is the swapping of 'trailer' for 'tiny one bedroom apartment' really that big of a difference?

Honest question, because I've always heard people say they can't relate, but there are a bunch of Em songs I specifically relate to growing up poor and frustrated.

speaking personally it's the Image that throws people off, if people hear your first singles & they're usually bad. it's gonna steer people away from the music as a whole. I honestly haven't even attempted to listen to ann em project in 5+ years & i KNOW he could come with real ****. So imagine a teen who never really heard his full projects, or mixtape verses etc etc.

They're looking at him like Macklamore with more respect, because they're basing it off the singles.

Em would be just as big if not bigger in this Era.... as far as mainstream went a lot of his superstardom came from pissing people off & doing Comedic ****. In this Era of PC people & social media Em would be just as successful.

Lol this makes 0 sense...that’s that old head bias. U know damn well Eminem in this day in age isn’t getting HALF of the endorsements and sponsors he had rapping about rape and killing females. You guys don’t know what kind of world we living in today

Reebok DROPPED Rick Ross for saying some **** about Molly in a drink. The way the world is hammering down on white supremacy(at least vocally) there’s no way Eminem is as successful as he was, today.

Lol this makes 0 sense...that’s that old head bias. U know damn well Eminem in this day in age isn’t getting HALF of the endorsements and sponsors he had rapping about rape and killing females. You guys don’t know what kind of world we living in today

Reebok DROPPED Rick Ross for saying some **** about Molly in a drink. The way the world is hammering down on white supremacy(at least vocally) there’s no way Eminem is as successful as he was, today.

Aite fam :lol:

Bro not to mention, remember when dude was beefing with females?? :lol: Mariah Carey? social media would have eaten his *** up today.

Face it, certain old heads benefit not being in this era... it can’t just go one way

I think consensus is with Eminem Show being a classic.

Yep. It's his most balanced album from beats to rapping, and probably his only album that holds up well today. People try to boost up Relapse, but I don't think about album full of garbage accents, screaming, yelling, and mediocre Dre beats should be talked about in positive light.

And I try
Sit alone and I cry
Yo I won't tell no lie
Not a moment goes by
On everything I own
I'll make it on my own
Off to work I go
Back to this 8 Mile Road

The "I can't relate" is a copout. Mad black and hispanics grow up with family and friends addicted to pills, having issues with their parents, poverty and depression. Now, you can say you see him and don't look like him, that's a problem but the I can't relate **** is BS to the fullest.

As for Em, people still check for him out of respect but true rap fans all have the same expectations and that's trash music. I liked "Relapse" a lot but everything since then, I'm good. I haven't heard his new song and I don't care to. I'll download the new album out of curiosity but I'm sure it won't be what I want to hear.

Most people call his first three albums a classic. That's normal to hear it with those names.

SSLP >>> MMLP>>> TES but all three are classics in my book and I still listen to them.

I have no clue if Em would be huge or irrelevant if he dropped today BUT he opened the door for all these trash *** white rappers being accepted today so I'll always hate him for that.

Rick Ross is black.

Logic sells records. If you think Em wouldn't flourish today coming out you are underestimating how relatable he is to hip hops largest customer base.

The Eminem hate is pretty strong :lol:.

I get it though. Realistically, The Eminem Show was his true last great project. Encore might've been the beginning of his demise, but there are some great tracks on there for sure. Relapse had some good songs but most of them were pretty forgettable with the exception of "DeJa Vu" and "Stay Wide Awake". The subject matter on Recovery was great but I can not stress enough how bad he was rapping on this. I seriously cringed every time he gave his those awful punchlines...

"He's married to the game, like a **** you for Christmas
His gift is a curse, forget the Earth, he's got the urge
To pull his **** from the dirt, and **** the whole universe
Okay quit playing with the scissors and ****, and cut the crap
I shouldn't have to rhyme these words in the rhythm for you to know it's a rap

Cause the way I feel, I'm strong enough to go to the club
Or the corner pub, and lift the whole liquor counter up
Cause I'm raising the bar"

..hate it mannn :lol:. MMLP2 might've not been great either but a few tracks on there really show he might still have something in him. 'Bad Guy', 'Brainless', and 'Groundhog Day' are def gems from that project. But then he has the audacity to release those TERRIBLE tracks on the Shady Records project :sick:

Regardless of all that, dude is a legend for everything he's done in the past. His career up to TES is so incredible. Happy I witnessed it all going down. I'll be lying if I say I don't check everything he drops, hoping one day he'll stop working with all these damn pop artist and surprise us but I know its very unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom