Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

You argue like Joe

Name all these rappers that talked about drugs other than weed, besides Wu?

Hot Boys
DMX
Eminem
Joe Budden
Big L
UGK
3-6 Mafia
The ENTIRE sub genre of “screw music”
State Property
West coast *****

This just off the top of my head. I’m sure if I wanted to, I could dig a Lil deeper :lol:. But you get the picture. “Designer drugs” are always going to be popular in hip hop because they aren’t as Accessible. And there’s always been a part of hip hop culture where bragging about what you can do, and what others can’t do.

Crack in the 80s...was the down bad junkie drug. But Coke....coke was the cool, expensive social drug. It’s like these pills and lean are seen as the cool, expensive, hard to get drug. But Meth and injecting heroin....nah, that’s not “cool“.

It's funny that you're going through decades and genres to come up with names and think your argument is legit :lol:

The original POINT of me doing that was in response to @Lakers talking about how “now, people IDOLIZE drug users” in music. My point was that the image and “idolatry if you will”....comes from the sex, drugs and rock n roll persona....that artists accross genres and decades have presented of themselves as such for a long time.

this is ONLY the top 10 songs in hiphop right now & half the list mentions some form of pills or lean..... yet the promotion of hard drug use isn't higher than ever
tenor.gif

Two things can be true. And I’m glad you pointed this out...because that’s def problematic.

But I’m of the firm opinion that once “Lean and Pills” aren’t the “cool, EXCLUSIVE social drug”....people won’t rap about it anymore.

Mozzy, whose one of the most heavily respected New west coast rappers...and defiantly not a “mumble rapper”...shed some light on this at 1:45

The original POINT of me doing that was in response to @Lakers talking about how “now, people IDOLIZE drug users” in music. My point was that the image and “idolatry if you will”....comes from the sex, drugs and rock n roll persona....that artists accross genres and decades have presented of themselves as such for a long time.

That has never been prevalent in rap until now

Nobody started smoking crack and weed together because of Wu.

Nobody started drinking syrup because of Beans

They didn't encourage it's use. They talked about what they did. That was their reality. They didn't promote it. Most people didn't even know what they were talking about.

Hell, Joe is a just say no to drugs. Eminem spoke out against drug use.

When did DMX encourage drug use? Big L?

The references throughout the years are key tho because that's what _'s are growing up on

Are we really surprised that a generation heavily influenced by people like Wayne are more forthcoming and "braggy" about their drug use?

To me, the "extreme" end of emo drug rap like Peep feels like it picks up right where **** "I Feel Like Dying" left off

They didn't encourage it's use. They talked about what they did. That was their reality. They didn't promote it. Most people didn't even know what they were talking about.

And that’s what some of these ***** do now :lol:. Y’all just don’t see it (or want to) a lot of the time.

One of the most popular rap songs this year (XO Tour life) does this. Yet people will say that it “promotes drug use”.

These are literally the lyrics in this song:

“Xanny numb the pain yeah
Please, Xanny make it go away
I'm committed, not addicted but it keep controlling me
All that pain now I can’t feel it, I swear that it's slowing me

Now how is THAT so much different From what you just said up there?

I say that to say this. There is a lot of trash today....and it rises because of the internet. And yeah, these new ***** be on some other ****.

But to pretend and twists this up like it’s some crazy new phenomenon in hip hop and music culture....and feign being surprised at musicians OD’ying from heavy drug use because of “today’s climate” is crazy.

Two things can be true. And I’m glad you pointed this out...because that’s def problematic.

But I’m of the firm opinion that once “Lean and Pills” aren’t the “cool, EXCLUSIVE social drug”....people won’t rap about it anymore.

Mozzy, whose one of the most heavily respected New west coast rappers...and defiantly not a “mumble rapper”...shed some light on this at 1:45

Bro Lean & Pills are life wrecking addictive substances... this ain't just some lines of coke or some **** where people are just stopping when they want. These ****** are addicted to this. This is more than just some flossy expensive ****, people are forming habits they can't kick & when the money aint there they going to cheaper alternatives to stop the withdrawl

Starts at 3:19

trynafeelmink trynafeelmink

***** wasn’t just up and quitting coke habits....:lol:. These functional drugs like coke, lean, pills etc almost always lead to other drugs once the tolerance level raises, and funds get low.

Prescription Pills & Lean = New Coke
Injected Heroin & Meth = New Crack

Purple Pills and Sippin on Sizzurp was like the only songs back then was kinda mainstream talking about this stuff. It's thousands of Purple Pills and Sippin On Sizzurp now. :lol: And when radio stations found out what Sizzurp was they stopped playing that song. D12 had to change it from pills to hills.

Every month it's a new fiend rapper poppin up. I **** with a lot rappers now but the whole rap game is filled with fiend rappers. Hip Hop wasn't like this. I don't see why ya'll debating this.

Look man i'm not gonna get into which drug is more addictive. Point blank, Rap right now is promoting the use of hard drugs at a much more rapid pace then ever & is encouraging a junkie lifestyle amongst young children.

it has never been this rampant & never been more socially accepted in hiphop than now.

I don't really see a big difference in promoting drug dealers / murderers vs. drug use to be honest. All of it promotes a lifestyle that's gonna get you caught up one way or another.

Yeah, we can try to make hip hop more positive but if you're being influenced by Offset or Lil Pump to do hard drugs on the regular, you're probably looking for some sort of escape anyway. You'll find that escape with or without rappers talking about it. Negativity is everywhere. That's the real issue. If you value your life and well being, music isn't going to change that.

This whole conversation just proves that Hiphop can be poison for our youth, a lot of it really is self genocide music. I don't like that conversation though because people get defensive about it and act like a brotha rapping about killing a bunch of other brothas is an okay thing.

And I'm a hypocrite because I listen to it, and enjoy it.

I don't really see a big difference in promoting drug dealers / murderers vs. drug use to be honest. All of it promotes a lifestyle that's gonna get you caught up one way or another.

Yeah, we can try to make hip hop more positive but if you're being influenced by Offset or Lil Pump to do hard drugs on the regular, you're probably looking for some sort of escape anyway. You'll find that escape with or without rappers talking about it. Negativity is everywhere. That's the real issue. If you value your life and well being, music isn't going to change that.

and people spoke out against hip hop promoting negativity. But I suppose we should have used the argument that Johnny Cash talked about violence so it's ok. :lol:

and I think it's different now with drug use, because they're promoted as social and party drugs. As if it's alcohol or weed. I feel a type of way with how alcohol is also promoted in our society.

This whole conversation just proves that Hiphop can be poison for our youth, a lot of it really is self genocide music. I don't like that conversation though because people get defensive about it and act like a brotha rapping about killing a bunch of other brothas is an okay thing.

And I'm a hypocrite because I listen to it, and enjoy it.

The older I get, the more I believe this

It changed with 2 Live Crew and NWA. When they realized negativity was marketable and could sell.

Now it promotes a lot of the negative and people are influenced by it.

Crack in the 80s...was the down bad junkie drug. But Coke....coke was the cool, expensive social drug. It’s like these pills and lean are seen as the cool, expensive, hard to get drug. But Meth and injecting heroin....nah, that’s not “cool“.

Cocaine was mainly hot among celebs and white folks. There was no sub genre of cocaine using rappers.

Cocaine was mainly hot among celebs and white folks. There was no sub genre of cocaine using rappers.

Just sayin'. Coke has been in and around Hip Hop since it's inception, and there are times where it has been glamorized. It wasn't the basis for everything, the way things seem to be now, but ****** was definitely getting right at the Cotton Club.

That's what happens when Birdman supplies you at 10 years old

Listened to an interview with Turk where talked about how it was different down in NO and some parts of the south. And how Heroin and Coke was seen a song designer drugs, and they were neighborhood super stars because they were seemingly functional and getting money.

This old baby song goes. Idc :lol:

:lol:

I recall many times hearing Combat talk about all the Coke going around when he was a lawyer for Bad Boy back in the day. The shiny suits make sense now.

Back
Top Bottom