Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

That Doja Cat song a got damn banger :pimp:. Love it

ABCDFF27-58F1-4842-8D0A-D5F2272AED2B.gif

I thought about it one day. I was telling someone how they only put out one album on Def Jam and had only one rap album.

Yeah.

They left Def Jam because Rick and Russ were trying to run their whole operation and take the bulk of the profits

allegedly

I know they were a punk band first and I think their first rap song was just them playing around and I wanna say Rick picked them up? Def Jam basically took creative control etc and had them doing what they wanted.

they left and went back to making what they wanted

I’m saying this from memory, def missed some stuff but it’s more complex than you made it out to be. Ad-Rock made the beat for LL first single :lol: I can’t call these dudes vultures

seems like some white boys that bit off more than they could chew. anytime somebody withholding your royalties and earnings I can’t blame you for bouncing.

I thought about it one day. I was telling someone how they only put out one album on Def Jam and had only one rap album.

Yeah.
It's like they used rap as an excuse to do "hoodrat **** with their friends"

Thus messing up the bag for people from the culture

It's like they used rap as an excuse to do "hoodrat **** with their friends"

Thus messing up the bag for people from the culture

this where it starts to get murky for me cuz they were punk rock first so they were doing hoodrat **** already

punk is a counterculture movement just like hip hop

I think Def Jam promoting them as a rap group should not have ever happened

white boys get away with stuff black boys do not. should have been marketed as punk crossover group from the start

they had folks stealing VW emblems off cars to wear as chains lol

I do believe elements of the group knew how to benefit from and exploit the black co-sign but I think Ad-Rock at least was all in until the politics behind the scenes. he was and is a true hip hop supporter and contributor.

Back
Top Bottom