Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

They left Def Jam because Rick and Russ were trying to run their whole operation and take the bulk of the profits

allegedly

I know they were a punk band first and I think their first rap song was just them playing around and I wanna say Rick picked them up? Def Jam basically took creative control etc and had them doing what they wanted.

they left and went back to making what they wanted

I’m saying this from memory, def missed some stuff but it’s more complex than you made it out to be. Ad-Rock made the beat for LL first single :lol: I can’t call these dudes vultures

seems like some white boys that bit off more than they could chew. anytime somebody withholding your royalties and earnings I can’t blame you for bouncing.

That reminds me, I need to watch their Apple doc.

How old is LL here? His poise and how he’s handling those questions are remarkable.

A lot of rappers back then knew how to conduct themselves in interviews at a young age.

I thought about it one day. I was telling someone how they only put out one album on Def Jam and had only one rap album.

Yeah.

Was Fight For Right even considered hip hop back then?

That reminds me, I need to watch their Apple doc.

did not know about that, I’ll check it out

they have a book too I just haven’t had time to get it and start it as I have a long backlog but apparently they talk about the Def Jam situation in depth in the book. it was an open secret in the industry I guess.

I want Rick to come out and give his side so we can kinda figure out the real story

Do they have a dominican twitter?

not really, most Dominican girls use Instagram.

Twitter lends itself more for complaining or news. Dominican girls really aren't trying to tell you something they're trying to show you something.

It's 2 AM and this man got Splinter on his mind, bringing Nip name in it for validation. What is wrong

he's making a big mistake because Nipsey Hussle ironically got killed for calling out a snitch a snitch....

let's keep it a buck here, Meek Mill sees a way for him to level up as a potential foil for tekashi69 because he's such an electric figure right now that if you even stand next to him your trend and that is always good 4 metrics and analytics.

they're looking like they're complaining and once you complain you look salty. they need to just let da 69 thing play its course.

people don't seem to understand is that Onyx flow he uses gets old eventually that's why Onyx didn't have a real long career... he's going to have a longer career by default because he can jump in and out of hip Hop and do reggaeton which is also highly profitable but if he's not super high-energy da songs aren't what they are and I'm not sure he can sustain that for a long stretch.

Meek Mill though needs to chill out cuz he looking like somebody complaining about Foul call :smh: :lol:

paulwall3.gif

I thought about it one day. I was telling someone how they only put out one album on Def Jam and had only one rap album.

Yeah.

it's not as clear-cut as da presumption would be, Beastie boys left Def Jam because Russell Simmons stop paying them royalties until they got back to da studio and churned out a second album which resulted in the group giving him a collective Fu and leaving to Capitol records

Russell was like, if you don’t go in the studio, then I’m not paying you…His calculation was that we would all be like, ‘Oh we want our millions. OK, Russell we’re going to do it.’ But we were all immediately, “**** you

Russell Simmons has since apologized. basically he tried to strong-arm them since they were a cash cow and it backfired on him.

this where it starts to get murky for me cuz they were punk rock first so they were doing hoodrat **** already

punk is a counterculture movement just like hip hop

punk rock/metal and Hip-Hop we'll all interacting in da same circles in da 80s you had Madonna hanging out with Fab 5 Freddy hanging out with Beastie boys hanging out with run DMC hanging out with the Ramones etc.

remember hip hop literally was created in New York so at that time they were performing in all the places that were geared for Rock when it wasn't park jams.... a lot of early rap music had a lot of guitar riffs so fight for your Right was definitely hip Hop. look no further than run-dmc-rock-box.

Cuz they werent brain dead from mad drugs

I attributed more to people being more well-read and literate because this is a era without internet so reading a book by default would make you more articulate...

look at early Nas early Prodigy early tragedy khadafi early rugged child... many of those kids were erudite and well-read but were still hoodlums end products of their environment.

you'll never see young rappers that articulate anymore because they aren't going to be exposed to that type of literature Young and also be in da mix with Street culture.

I attributed more to people being more well-read and literate because this is a era without internet so reading a book by default would make you more articulate...

look at early Nas early Prodigy early tragedy khadafi early rugged child... many of those kids were erudite and well-read but were still hoodlums end products of their environment.

you'll never see young rappers that articulate anymore because they aren't going to be exposed to that type of literature Young and also be in da mix with Street culture.
Probably a mix of both. You defintely right about pre internet era having to read books.

This younger gen has everything in the palm of their hands. Spoon fed everything via short video clips etc. As well as being doped tf up. I hear some of these interviews like these dudes gotta have the IQ of a shoe.

Beastie Boys were originally a punk band, it’s no surprise their shows were wild. In fact, Russ and Rick encourage the juvenile behavior at the shows to sell more tickets and records. By the next album, Paul’s Boutique, they definitely turned down the antics and started to mature. In fact I think they are one of the best examples of any artist to mature and you could hear it through their music.

Ad-Rock was the one who kind of discovered LL.

That tweet is funny cause LL just interviewed them not too long ago, may have been for documentary now that I think about it

Back
Top Bottom