Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

paulwall3.gif

Slim thug has the most memorable verse..but imo between Paul Wall or Cham they had the best verse on here

it's not as clear-cut as da presumption would be, Beastie boys left Def Jam because Russell Simmons stop paying them royalties until they got back to da studio and churned out a second album which resulted in the group giving him a collective Fu and leaving to Capitol records

Russell was like, if you don’t go in the studio, then I’m not paying you…His calculation was that we would all be like, ‘Oh we want our millions. OK, Russell we’re going to do it.’ But we were all immediately, “**** you

Russell Simmons has since apologized. basically he tried to strong-arm them since they were a cash cow and it backfired on him.

What did they do hip hop, add to hip hop or for hip hop after 1988?

They ushered in the Linkin Parks and RAGE's cool, but they stopped being hip hop after their first album.

They took from hip hop had a Tyreke Evans rookie year and then jetted.

Late 70s-Early 80s NYC music scene was the most exciting time ever in music, that was golden era of NYC. Hip Hop and Punk Rock along with Disco and House

punk rock/metal and Hip-Hop we'll all interacting in da same circles in da 80s you had Madonna hanging out with Fab 5 Freddy hanging out with Beastie boys hanging out with run DMC hanging out with the Ramones etc.

remember hip hop literally was created in New York so at that time they were performing in all the places that were geared for Rock when it wasn't park jams.... a lot of early rap music had a lot of guitar riffs so fight for your Right was definitely hip Hop. look no further than run-dmc-rock-box.

**** is heartbreaking. No sense of urgency by NYPD at all

Whoever did it hit him with a shotgun and they just let him bleed to death

The commentary was sort of funny. Very Brooklyn.

Old heads need to sit these kids down. It's too much beefing when they're supposed to be enjoying their fame and money.

What did they do hip hop, add to hip hop or for hip hop after 1988?

They ushered in the Linkin Parks and RAGE's cool, but they stopped being hip hop after their first album.

They took from hip hop had a Tyreke Evans rookie year and then jetted.

Paul’s Boutique is definitely a hip hop album and their best album overall. The production and sampling on that album is amazing. Plus they improved as rappers from their debut.

So that Rocnation **** was started because someone had a plane hat in the video. :lol:

That's why I didn't even comment on the **** at first. I just wait until stuff plays out, because I know the internet is going to internet.

Same thing with the Boosie **** that didn't even happen.

Dudes just drop his name in any and every situation, making up ****, and people who don't like dude run to attack hm.

Paul’s Boutique is definitely a hip hop album and their best album overall. The production and sampling on that album is amazing. Plus they improved as rappers from their debut.

it's probably also da last hip hop album that had completely no holds bar sampling with questionable legality.

What did they do hip hop, add to hip hop or for hip hop after 1988

this was on yo! MTV raps constantly when I was little.

remember a lot of hip hop after da 80s left & turned into da 90s was gangster rap and Beastie boys were not about that life so they gravitated more 2 Rock sounds and sailed it over damn near the entire gangster rap era... they would score with older rap groups and newer rock groups.

they always had raps in their album tho...

this was da album that was a return to their boombap/breakdancing friendly tracks.

this was on yo! MTV raps constantly when I was little.

remember a lot of hip hop after da 80s left & turned into da 90s was gangster rap and Beastie boys were not about that life so they gravitated more 2 Rock sounds and sailed it over damn near the entire gangster rap era... they would score with older rap groups and newer rock groups.

they always had raps in their album tho...

this was da album that was a return to their boombap/breakdancing friendly tracks.

Ehhh, I think So What'Cha Want was, but Intergalactic, no.

I think they were hip hop like I think Linkin Park and Limp Biskit.

They birthed a whole other genre and weren't hop hop.

Ehhh, I think So What'Cha Want was, but Intergalactic, no.

I think they were hip hop like I think Linkin Park and Limp Biskit.

I think you're looking at the problem backwards.

you have to understand that Beastie boys literally were around when hip-hop was forged from the ashes of poverty and drugs in downtown crazy white boys and Puerto Ricans and break dancers and punk rock dudes..

a lot of those guitar riffs and things that you would associate with Suburban rock with hip hop appeal was actually an organic feature of Beastie boys.

if you look at Beastie boys from a rap mechanical point of view they were a rap group stuck in da 80s flow wise and instead of altering like LL Cool J and there are other contemporaries they remained with that 80s b-boy flow and literally we're stuck in a time capsule, their production started to incorporate more grungy sounds when Nirvana and Pearl Jam and stuff started to make their rounds but rapping wise they were literally a 1969 charger while da rest of hiphop was on 300ZX nissans.

imagine if Beastie boys had to collaborate with NWA, their style would mesh very well with their first album but would be out of step by 1991.

Beastie boys old 80s flow still sounded good with guitar riffs that's why you're making da extrapolation that it's more Linkin Park and limp Bizkit than traditional rap.

in conclusion Beastie boys are basically old 80's rappers that didn't have to evolved because they had punk rock sensibilities which allowed them to retain their original 80s yelling rap flow and repurpose it two more GarageBand friendly sounds. their original DNA is later seen in groups you've named because Beastie boys ruled Suburban America.

Back
Top Bottom