Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Woodstock ‘99 on HBO is actually not bad. I thought it would glorify and be a campy nostalgic view pop/rock music at the time…but it’s actually pretty critical and accurate of those genres at the time.

It’s funny, hip hop gets criticized for not respecting its legends and some other **** and de-evolving… But if you actually look at the history, it’s the exact opposite. Especially with the co-opted pop/rock etc of the late 60s til now.

We’ve always had instincts of how hypocritical “white music” is….when they cast mysoginy, un-seriousness, violence, gangsterism etc of black music (particularly hip hop). But this doc does a good job of exposing the hypocrisy, and giving a real view into what Woodstock actually was.

I swear I started watching random performances of that show the other night...glad you brought it up :lol:

Watched another video after about how disgusting the campground conditions became during the show:sick:

Woodstock ‘99 on HBO is actually not bad. I thought it would glorify and be a campy nostalgic view pop/rock music at the time…but it’s actually pretty critical and accurate of those genres at the time.

It’s funny, hip hop gets criticized for not respecting its legends and some other **** and de-evolving… But if you actually look at the history, it’s the exact opposite. Especially with the co-opted pop/rock etc of the late 60s til now.

We’ve always had instincts of how hypocritical “white music” is….when they cast mysoginy, un-seriousness, violence, gangsterism etc of black music (particularly hip hop). But this doc does a good job of exposing the hypocrisy, and giving a real view into what Woodstock actually was.

The singer Moby put it perfect when he said when white people mimic hip hop they ignore the R&B and Funk elements of it. It was like the start of hip hop really taking over. All those rock bands was influenced by hip hop. That was a real disrespectful time. The music, movies, Jerry Springer was poppin, even wrestling was crossing lines when I think back. We was in school telling girls to suck it.:lol:

Still crazy none of these rappers promote black owned jewelry places like they do Icebox and nem

I've been saying this for awhile too. It's too racist and hard for up and coming black jewelers to get in the diamond and jewelry game alone. I remember Ben Baller said this too and kept it 100.

If I remember right some folk were saying all these rappers would have to do is put the money behind some black jewelers and fund them and theyd be bigger than Icebox etc plus get even WAY better pricing.

I've been saying this for awhile too. It's too racist and hard for up and coming black jewelers to get in the diamond and jewelry game alone. I remember Ben Baller said this too and kept it 100.

If I remember right some folk were saying all these rappers would have to do is put the money behind some black jewelers and fund them and theyd be bigger than Icebox etc plus get even WAY better pricing.
When I "make it" this is literally one of the first things I'm doing

Finding a dope *** black Jeweler and using my platform to shine a light on him or her

When I "make it" this is literally one of the first things I'm doing

Finding a dope *** black Jeweler and using my platform to shine a light on him or her

Same with a black automotive company. I don’t know how much Elon Musk needed to fund Tesla but its egregious that we don’t have not ONE black car manufacturer. We are great at giving money away.

not saying black people should never buy a benz or Ferrari, but let’s level the playing field. Coexist and get a share of that money.

Last edited:
Tons of black engineers, industrial designers, architects and mechanics. We Should’ve been had a namesake car brand

1627754484984.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom