Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Nothing stopping me from giving it a try, just felt like I've outgrown the music. Didn't really like Wolf to begin with either.

You've outgrown Tyler, but still listen to Drake?

and you'd rather proudly proclaim something is album of the year, without actually listening to albums...

Since Thank Me Later dropped in 2010 Drake has been on top of the rap game. When he raps, he goes. Whats the issue?

He’s only on tops because of lack of talent and competition around him.... This era is cut with so much water. Of course he gone stand out amongst all this trash.

It’s like Alabama playing some D3 school. I wish people would stop acting like he’s doing something so great. His contemporaries literally have no talent. Most of them.

Jay-Z and Nas, Pac, Big, Rakim, etc were in eras which the competition was legit high caliber.

You've outgrown Tyler, but still listen to Drake?

and you'd rather proudly proclaim something is album of the year, without actually listening to albums...
Yeah, what's wrong with that?

I don't listen to a lot of stuff/artists though. I'll give a few songs a chance, but too many releases to keep up with.

There’s plenty of talent is just drake got a level of marketability we have never seen before. And it’s a complete different era of access

the talent comparable to the 80s, 90s and 2000s? I doubt it

It’s all subjective. Not even a drake fan but there’s plenty of enjoyable music from this generation.

but drake doesn’t have competition because we ain’t never seen the combination of what he has going for him. That’s why he can make average music

I dont even think Drake has been "the top guy" all this time. What are we basing it on? Popularity? When was the last time Drake had album of the year or most people said "this Drake album is a classic"?

Kendrick, Future, Cole have all had years when they dropped better music, did great #'s, had a big influence.

It’s all subjective. Not even a drake fan but there’s plenty of enjoyable music from this generation.

but drake doesn’t have competition because we ain’t never seen the combination of what he has going for him. That’s why he can make average music

When did I ever say there’s no enjoyment out of some of today’s music? I never said that. I listen to plenty modern day artist. These kids don’t care about lyrics.

again, the competition is WATERED down. I’m not talking about marketing. The sheer level of competition and balance is completely different than in the past. MOST these new dudes ain’t nice with the pen. They relying strictly on beats

People call Big Sean “corny” but Drake isn’t....? When they basically have the same aesthetic. Sean was basically the US version of Drake. I’ve always been a Sean fan too. Maybe it’s just NT who disliked big sean. But stuff like that is what’s laughable to me.

Sean and Meek Mill get criticism for their music, personas, literally everything. Drake does corny a*** ****, is an opportunist and is teflon by the fans. It really confuses me.

I dont even think Drake has been "the top guy" all this time. What are we basing it on? Popularity? When was the last time Drake had album of the year or most people said "this Drake album is a classic"?

Kendrick, Future, Cole have all had years when they dropped better music, did great #'s, had a big influence.

Exactly. It’s the fans IMO. The newer consumers of hip hop, fans not knowing the history of rap, the “everyone gets a trophy” generation. If you don’t like certain artists, you’re a hater or you don’t go outside or party :lol: :lol: :lol:

When did I ever say there’s no enjoyment out of some of today’s music? I never said that. I listen to plenty modern day artist. These kids don’t care about lyrics.

again, the competition is WATERED down. I’m not talking about marketing. The sheer level of competition and balance is completely different than in the past. MOST these new dudes ain’t nice with the pen. They relying strictly on beats

these seem like contradictory paragraphs. There’s plenty of competition because you can legit avoid both drake and Kanye’s releases and find great music. It’s always going to be microwave music

these seem like contradictory paragraphs. There’s plenty of competition because you can legit avoid both drake and Kanye’s releases and find great music. It’s always going to be microwave music

Bro, we’re talking about the competition Drake has faced since 2009/2010. Not Kanye. We aren’t talking about Kanye. Someone said Drake is the best since 2010 (no qualms about it from me). However, is he big because the competition is great? Or is he big because the competition is below average? And in my opinion, especially with new hip hop fans, teens, 20s, etc who really don’t even care or notice it, that’s why he’s big. These kids only want viral music. He’s only big because of the competition being average as hell. Cole and Kendrick and Wale have always been better than Drake IMO. But again, the average rap fan who’s between the age of 18-32 really doesn’t care.

So he is crowned be default. Default of the masses not caring about the competition. People literally called Meek a bully and said beef has no place in hip hop... when beef has ALWAYS been a part of it. It just shows how out of touch these new fans are.

Drake is only huge because of hip hop has an influx of newer, younger fans. People ages 14-25.

Only a matter of time before "sonically" is said.
F39B5DE6-2612-4B2F-94B2-2E422870C9F7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom