Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Unpopular opinion:
Drake isn’t a rapper, he’s a pop star.

Don’t disagree, but I think that what someone else in here was getting at when they posted that Drake’s competition is Diddy and Taylor Swift. Meaning, I don’t think it’s that unpopular of an opinion.

People call Big Sean “corny” but Drake isn’t....? When they basically have the same aesthetic. Sean was basically the US version of Drake. I’ve always been a Sean fan too. Maybe it’s just NT who disliked big sean. But stuff like that is what’s laughable to me.

Sean and Meek Mill get criticism for their music, personas, literally everything. Drake does corny a*** ****, is an opportunist and is teflon by the fans. It really confuses me.

I don't get the Sean hate, but at the same time they'll big up Drake

I was just listening to this the other day

and dudes will act like Sean can't rap.

and reveals more of himself in his music, even to the point they mock what he does reveal.

When a Drake fan says Meek, Wale or Sean are corny :smh: It's truly revenge of the nerds on the internet.

Im rolling with Drake as a pop act more than a rapper. The problem is he talks rapper **** to producers in rap songs but doesn't put out rap albums. Quite the niche he's carved out for himself. He's teflon.

Drake is an "artist". The same way Kanye is. Only difference one got their start solely as a producer. A more current version would be someone like Travis Scott. I suppose Dr. Dre would be an older example of this (to a certain degree).
I'm sure there are other past and present examples if I think longer about this (Will Smith?).

Their ability lies in a combo of various skills (i.e - rapping, songwriting, producing, singing (i guess), collaborating with other talented people., and curating it all together and packaging it through themselves as performers.

There is a separate category of people that rap (call em rappers, emcees, whatever) that they are excluded from and that's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't take ANYTHING away from their success.
Let's think throughout history and the people we place on these lists...and imagine this being the first time the "top rapper" in the game is asked to rap on Hot 97 in front of Flex.

This should have told everyone that the guy isn't a pure rapper. We know ****** don't "freestyle". But every pure rapper has a plethora of 16s to shuffle through in their heads to recite on the spot.

Get him a pen in a room w/ some other ****** with some pens and it's not bad tho.

Not really competition because drake will always win name wise— but tory lanez does (or copies whichever you want to go with) the same lane and just as good imo
Unless you mean Drake's longevity when you mention 'name wise', I'm not sure wat u mean when Post is definitely doing those type of numbers and winning those type of awards.

Unless you mean Drake's longevity when you mention 'name wise', I'm not sure wat u mean when Post is definitely doing those type of numbers and winning those type of awards.

He’s also (Post) an artist that folks who don’t listen to much rap/hip hop love.

1630789494997.png

YES PLS. KDOT X 3 STACKS I NEEEEED DAT.

Back
Top Bottom