Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

:lol: I mean that's like the definition of underground.

He was affiliated with the Native Tongues too. That just entrenched him more as an underground producer.

As far as who he worked with though/big names, I guess you're adding Erykah and D'Angelo to the list? Still don't think its comparable to Premier being in demand so much in the 90s which really only continued to a good degree in the 2000s.

So Erykah Badu, Common and D'Angelo were underground?

Being in demand doesn't mean you aren't underground. He was doing beats for Krumbsnatcha and Afu Ra.

So Erykah Badu, Common and D'Angelo were underground?
No.. What are you reading? I just added Erykah and D'Angelo to the list with Busta :lol:

I said that list aint comparable to Premier's. He's worked with every mainstream NYC rapper from the 90s to the 2000s. Then a bunch of mainstream rappers all over like Luda and Game.

Being in demand doesn't mean you aren't underground. He was doing beats for Krumbsnatcha and Afu Ra.
When you're in demand from mainstream artists it does. He was producing for Krumbsnatcha and Afu Ra one day and then Jay-Z and Nas. Just cuz he likes to work with a lot of lyrical lesser known rappers doesn't mean he's the underground one. He's worked with Kanye, Dr. Dre, and Christina Aguilera. Think it's clear he's not just an underground producer. Dilla don't got anything comparable.

The whole thing about underground is not being known by the masses. Premiere was not that.

No.. What are you reading? I just added Erykah and D'Angelo to the list with Busta :lol:

I said that list aint comparable to Premier's. He's worked with every mainstream NYC rapper from the 90s to the 2000s. Then a bunch of mainstream rappers all over like Luda and Game.

When you're in demand from mainstream artists it does. He was producing for Krumbsnatcha and Afu Ra one day and then Jay-Z and Nas. Just cuz he likes to work with a lot of lyrical lesser known rappers doesn't mean he's the underground one. He's worked with Kanye, Dr. Dre, and Christina Aguilera. Think it's clear he's not just an underground producer. Dilla don't got anything comparable.

The whole thing about underground is not being known by the masses. Premiere was not that.
and yet the average rap fan has no clue about any of that, which is underground.

Doom wasn't underground because he had a Nike too, huh

Bink and 45 King were a mainstream producers because they worked with Jay-Z. That doesn't even make sense.

and yet the average rap fan has no clue about any of that, which is underground.
What's underground isn't decided by the average rap fan. I wouldn't even know what they look like now.
Doom wasn't underground because he had a Nike too, huh

Bink and 45 King were a mainstream producers because they worked with Jay-Z. That doesn't even make sense.
Doom was underground.

You're naming one thing in these rebuttals with Dilla and now Doom but I listed more for Premier.

One thing is usually not going to suddenly make an underground act mainstream.

It's not the same.

I get what Master Zik Master Zik is saying. Premier is Boom Bap. Not “underground”.

No different than what Zaytoven is to trap music

Magic33 Magic33

That's underground. You can say Premier hasn't been close to mainstream in 20 years.

Two generations would have no clue who he is and if they went back and listened to his catalog, what would it be composed of, Gangstarr, Jeru, Group Home, Royce, MOP, OC, All City...

So a couple of mainstream rappers hooked up with him for boom bap rap and he's mainstream?

What's underground isn't decided by the average rap fan. I wouldn't even know what they look like now.

Doom was underground.

You're naming one thing in these rebuttals with Dilla and now Doom but I listed more for Premier.

One thing is usually not going to suddenly make an underground act mainstream.

It's not the same.

So was Mike Dean a mainstream producer, before Kanye?

That's underground. You can say Premier hasn't been close to mainstream in 20 years.
Two generations would have no clue who he is and if they went back and listened to his catalog, what would it be composed of, Gangstarr, Jeru, Group Home, Royce, MOP, OC, All City...
This is an entirely different argument.

This like saying Rakim is underground cuz he hasn't been that relevant in 20 years. Nah. That's just an older act that's not as relevant.

You're pretending like Premier was underground in the 90s and 2000s.

So a couple of mainstream rappers hooked up with him for boom bap rap and he's mainstream?
So exactly how many mainstream rappers equal a couple to you?

Premo has worked with most likely over a dozen mainstream rappers and a few commercial artists overall.
So was Mike Dean a mainstream producer, before Kanye?
He wasn't underground. I know that much.

He's what I'd call a southern hip hop producer. I wasn't checking for him even when I saw his name on a bunch of Scarface songs.

Let me ask you though, is DJ Quik an underground artist or not?

This is an entirely different argument.

This like saying Rakim is underground cuz he hasn't been that relevant in 20 years. Nah. That's just an older act that's not as relevant.

You're pretending like Premier was underground in the 90s and 2000s.

So exactly how many mainstream rappers equal a couple to you?

Premo has worked with most likely over a dozen mainstream rappers and a few commercial artists overall.

He wasn't underground. I know that much.

He's what I'd call a southern hip hop producer. I wasn't checking for him even when I saw his name on a bunch of Scarface songs.

Let me ask you though, is DJ Quik an underground artist or not?

Quik was going platinum and one of the biggest names an artist aside from producing.

I don't think Premier was ever mainstream and a lot closer to underground and what it is. If he was mainstream, the artist he worked with wouldn't have been able to afford him.

and he worked out of ****in D&D Studios.

And they worked with Premier to give them a street sound, not pop to go to radio, mainstream

Look at the dude lex Luger for instance. He was huge in the early 2010s... is he considered underground now?

Back
Top Bottom