Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Imma hafta be the one to say it.

When i think about the different media outlets and spaces mike has been trafficking in the past couple of years, the bill mahers, the joe rogans, the view, etc., im pretty sure those grammy wins had a political angle.

Not to say that his album wasnt on point but i do kinda feel like there was another side to it.

Dude been regularly parlaying with all the right figures recently…

Content, lyrics, and substance wise none of those albums were messing with Mike's. People complained about the Grammys just letting whoever win the best rap album for years but now that they've finally become more stringent with their voting, that's a problem too. New generation needs to tell their favorite artists to be more creative and make music with actual substance.

All this who is Killer Mike reminds me of the newer generation on basketball. I forgot who exactly but that one player said Paul George is his GOAT (which is ridiculous regardless :lol:). I think some of the younger players might even say KD/Steph is their GOAT. Just different eras imo.

When i think about the different media outlets and spaces mike has been trafficking in the past couple of years, the bill mahers, the joe rogans, the view, etc., im pretty sure those grammy wins had a political angle.

Not to say that his album wasnt on point but i do kinda feel like there was another side to it.

Mike's album was fire, but I had to give him the side eye when I saw extreme right wingers propping him up cause he wouldn't endorse Biden. Now they're pushing him getting arrested as a conspiracy for not supporting the left :lol:

All this who is Killer Mike reminds me of the newer generation on basketball. I forgot who exactly but that one player said Paul George is his GOAT (which is ridiculous regardless :lol:). I think some of the younger players might even say KD/Steph is their GOAT. Just different eras imo.

Brandon Miller

The wild part about that, is that kids have more access to the past but are even more ignorant about things. Just like with streaming, we had to buy, share or illegally share. These kids can stream damn near every album since 1960.

Grammys and all these awards are not 100% about the art. There is a campaign aspect to it. He delivered a phenomenal album and made sure to hit every corner of the media circuit. He did everything right and the win was well deserved.

Plus he's close in age to the voters.

It's a school president, it's a popularity contest also.

And you kno what, since i said it about mike, imma say it bout jay.

Wtf did they award him for? bein alive?

They gave him a grammy and in return he gave them a dicey lil acceptance speech moment.

Cmon bruh…

They gave him a grammy and in return he gave them a dicey lil acceptance speech moment.

Cmon bruh…

No win situation, he was supporting and defending his wife. I have no problem with it.

Cmon bruh…
I think some of it was nervous rambling. He probably said more than he wanted to.

She never won album of the year b/c her albums haven't been good enough. Both things can be true. She can have all those grammys for different categories but it doesn't automatically equate to "The Best Album". False equivalencies to make an arbitrary point... Listen, I'm a r&b head through and through so again 'Dangerously in Love' is her only album that ever had the argument for album of the year imo. Her albums since 2010 have ranged from mid to above average at best.

Killer Mike’s Grammy wins triggering political conspiracy theories - is basically discrediting all his work and contribution to southern rap legacy.

Decades of solo hustle, underground acclaim, failed group and yet folks labeling it a silly political agenda because he decided to market to a wider spread audience that the album resonate to.

Last edited:
???

What was his failed group?

And for the record, I honestly dont have a problem with him winning but again, the media run he’s been on recently had to be a factor.

Those were some VERYYYY white spaces that he’s ingratiated himself into.

Also taking into consideration the current political climate and how mike goes into said spaces and speaks politics as someone whos well informed. Not a stretch to think that that kinda **** is earning him footing with them folks.

He on their radar now, ANNND he just so happened to release a dope album.

Last edited:
Killer Mike’s Grammy wins triggering political conspiracy theories - is basically discrediting all his work and contribution to southern rap legacy.

Decades of solo hustle, underground acclaim, failed groups and yet folks labeling it a silly political agenda because he decided to market to a wider spread audience that the album resonate to.
I just like seeing rappers rewarded for longevity while honing their craft and breaking into different areas. Give the younger generation something to aspire to. But no matter what, it always comes back to the music.

Back
Top Bottom