Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Bruh...first time my mama saw me and the homies draped in tall tees she said the same exact ****. She actually got mad :lol:

Literally the first thing I thought of tho when ASAP went on 106 and everybody said he was wearing a dress.

And ****** had braids, pony tails, ear rings and even pink tees to add to it.

Then the old heads would say sagging our pants meant we were "available" because it stared in jail...on top of all of that.

:rofl:

I still don't fully understand the idea of these ****** wearing or saying things to "troll".

Who's the joke on? If Young Thug calls a man his hubby and I see it...that doesn't equal an album sale or a stream...so what's the point?

I think most of these ****** are simply being themselves and you *****'s believe they're "trolling".

Cause there's a ton trolling in music, as people have tried to gimmick themselves to get on and have success, then try to put out their "real" music and it doesn't hit. Can't really blame the listeners on thinking you're a joke if that's the image and aura you put out.

Exactly. It ain't trolling. Thugger is blatantly either bisexual, or gay. Ain't no way around it. No full grown man is going to joke around like that. Isn't he like 25 or 26 years old? Men in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. were obnoxiously feminine with their style of dressing. The 90s and early 2000s were really the only time oversized and baggy clothes were trendy.

It lasted a good 15 years. People have overblown the era of baggy clothing, as if it lasted for a century. But as far as content, the sexual innuendos these dudes use blatantly signify that their a bit feminine or are homosexual (I'm talking music ONLY, not clothing. The clothing is irrelevant). Not to mention these dudes doing all sorts of hard drugs, pills, etc. that for sure contributes to their sexualities. Drugs, especially the rave style drugs these dudes partake in, really does make them feminine.

I see it first hand in the hood. All the dudes who pop pills and other type of drugs like that, are suspect. Ever since molly, exstacy, etc. reached the hood, it has feminized these dudes.
i agree that x and molly turned alot of these dudes out!..repped a million times if i could.

Everyday struggle really going to pretend like 21 Savage didn't just drop one of the best albums of the year :nerd: [emoji]128580[/emoji]

I don't think they even discussed "Issa". Was interested in Joes take.

It's kinda like watching Inside the NBA and expecting actual basketball analysis. Joe doesn't really listen to new music like that ESPECIALLY if he's not interested in the artist. He's just smart enough to bust out a hot take or spin a narrative that makes it sound like he kinda skimmed it.

Like their DAMN discussion was awful. So it's not limited to trap rappers.

Bruh...first time my mama saw me and the homies draped in tall tees she said the same exact ****. She actually got mad :lol:

Literally the first thing I thought of tho when ASAP went on 106 and everybody said he was wearing a dress.

And ****** had braids, pony tails, ear rings and even pink tees to add to it.

Then the old heads would say sagging our pants meant we were "available" because it stared in jail...on top of all of that.

:rofl:

**** crazy man. I think it's the fact that rap and hip hop are rooted in being counter culture that these disconnects happen, especially generationally.

For example back when Andre tasted that Baduizm for the first time, he switched up heavy. To the point where Big Boi had to reference how much people were asking him if Andre was gay due to his mannerisms and clothing choices.

Busta wore weird ****. CeeLo wore weird ****. It was called eccentric.

Going back further, George Clinton wore weird ****. Go look at how Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five dressed.

It all came down to being different and embracing what you wanted to do regardless of how other people perceived it.

In essence, isn't that what hip hop is really about?

If all that **** stopped getting reactions they would prolly stop tho. Its like a game.

Thug has literally tweeted "y'all need to chill out coming at me with that gay **** i dont even know where yall get that from", days after doing some blatantly gay **** on IG:lol: .

That thick white girl that used to be his "stylist" said that he would do some **** like paint his nails and put up a pic and then him and his _ would smoke gas and pass around the phone laughing at the flurry of comments that come in. Its a instant viral cheat code.

So dude loves attention that much? He welling to fake gay for IG and Twitter? :lol:

And if Thug is gay Ima still bump his music but when ya'll say "He just trollin" that **** sounds funny to me. You gay trollin for 3 years bruh? :lol:

I'm talking EXCLUSIVELY about the fashion... It isn't just Uzi, Thug & Yachty wearing clothing that would be deemed "feminine" i mean everyone from Ye, Pharrell, Wayne, A$AP Mob, Odd Future, Future, Pusha etc etc are all guys who i have seen be brought up when talking about "feminine clothing" . So yes those artist don't represent hiphop culture as a whole & they may be extremes to a point, but as far as the styling in hiphop it's def A LOT more feminine on a whole compared to a few doing it in the 90's.

Uzi is a perfect example, he's the "extreme" portion of feminine energy in hip hop. So while everyone doesn't dress or act like him, i will say that many rappers are more open than ever to wear clothing that in the past would be seen as "metro sexual" or wouldn't be seen as "manly".

We are also coming off of the the hyper masculine, baggy era. There are some cats stuck in that era that call skinny, slim or fitted jeans "feminine" :lol:. Hell, Cam used to get heat and all he did was rock 5x pink tees and **** :lol:.

And yachty doesn't dress feminine at all. He just gets lumped in with that because of his age range...but dude literally wears nautica, sneakers and jeans all day.

I will say the The fitted clothes and high end fashion era lends to dudes dressing what's more feminine today though. I do believe that. Social media let's us see all this **** too. The Uzi/wiz/asap type dudes represent a niche that isn't reorientative of the entire culture.

I still don't fully get the "slim jeans is femine" thing when it comes to hip hop and fashion.

Hip hop originators wore slim and fitted clothing. The baggy era came later. I think it's just cyclical like everything else in fashion. People act like black folks in fitted or slim clothing is some alien concept.

I think it has to do with age ranges too and ardent "real hip hop" supporters tend to cite the 90s artists as real hip hop, so the whole imagery of 90s rappers is used as the baseline.

Now the blouses and dresses, that is clearly European fem fashion influenced but I wouldn't consider that hip hop anyway :lol: But I remember my grandma telling my little 4x tall tee wearing cousins that they looked like they had on dresses or nightgowns and clown pants. That always sticks out to me when this conversation comes up.

But they were wearing super tight jeans and going to discos and **** back then so I don't know. Fashion cycles are weird.

Fitted clothes is all the way excepted now.

Jim Jones came with the smaller shirts 05-06. Kanye introduced the skinny jeans in 07 and that's everywhere. Even rappers from the 90's dress like that now.

As some others have stated and as i stated in my first post i understand the clothing changes and that isn't an indicator of sexuality. Although we can't act like society doesn't exist and as dumb as the idea of your clothing hinting at your sexuality is..... We still live in times where that happens.

With that out the way, there's still a very clear distinction between this new wave or rappers and even the dude's mid 2000's with long shirts & braids. Those dudes no matter what the attire was still weren't coming across feminine. we're at a point now where WOMEN are pointing out just how feminine some of these rappers are moving. And i'm not even talking about the ideal of you have to be super aggressive or combative to be masculine, that we often see in hiphop.

there's just a new block of rappers who are straight up acting like women now.

Last edited:
/\ How does this make sense in the context of what we're discussing tho?

I've seen the argument made in here MANY times that Young Thug's antics are the reason he's not a major earner. So if he's trolling people by "pretending" to be a certain way and that has a negative effect on his career...why would he do that?

What does a rapper have to do or say for his/her actions to be deemed 100% organic and non contrived?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but trolling means to do or say something for the sole reason of garnering a reaction...even if the action or statement isnt indicative of how a person truly thinks/feels.

So if I'm to believe that Young Thug or anyone else that does this are simply "trolling"...you're basically telling me these ****** are lying and putting on a front right?
Isn't it contradicting for you ****** to be telling me that these guys are trolling...but go as far to point out past instances of self expression and individualism in hip-hop that should be viewed the same? Is the ***** simply trolling...or is he doing the same thing Andre 3000 and Busta Rhymes did? Which one is it?

Young Thug taking the time out to thank Jay Z for his line in "Family Feud" leads me to believe that ***** isn't "trolling" at all.

I saw someone in here mention "wait for Tyler to make a statement". Isn't his ******* music the statement?

Technically but once rap became a tough guy game anything that's self expression and not overtly "masculine" it's criticized

1) What is considered overly masculine, because there's been TONS of rap from the 90's to now that hasn't been overly masculine & gotten love
2) you can argue nowadays that being overly masculine hurts you more than it helps, hence why rappers are dressing like european models & some are "trolling" with their sexuality for attention.

I'm fine with the clothing choices, some of it i like some of it i would never wear. However when ya'll are telling me rappers are toying with their sexuality for attention, i take issue with that because the next generation is looking at this and could become confused along with it.

Technically but once rap became a tough guy game anything that's self expression and not overtly "masculine" it's criticized

When wasn't rap a tough guy game?

Have you seen pics of the Bronx in the 70's and 80's?

When wasn't rap a tough guy game?

Have you seen pics of the Bronx in the 70's and 80's?

I get what he's saying, i think by tough guy game he really means the "gangsta rap era". Surely them dudes in the wild *** clothes from the late 70s/80's were tough as ****. But they didn't go out their way to tell yo so, Gangster rap came in and i'll admit that some people were so embedded in that image & story that they wrote off those who didn't rep that. However i wouldn't say the entire culture criticized everything that wasn't that, it just so happens that mainstream America caught wind and made that kind of hiphop more popular than others.

As some others have stated and as i stated in my first post i understand the clothing changes and that isn't an indicator of sexuality. Although we can't act like society doesn't exist and as dumb as the idea of your clothing hinting at your sexuality is..... We still live in times where that happens.

With that out the way, there's still a very clear distinction between this new wave or rappers and even the dude's mid 2000's with long shirts & braids. Those dudes no matter what the attire was still weren't coming across feminine. we're at a point now where WOMEN are pointing out just how feminine some of these rappers are moving. And i'm not even talking about the ideal of you have to be super aggressive or combative to be masculine, that we often see in hiphop.

there's just a new block of rappers who are straight up acting like women now.

I think this is debatable, I know for a fact older heads in my family and outside of it still think any form of long hair, pink clothing, or ear jewelry is feminine. They still think sagging is for gay prison inmates and tall tees look like dresses and nightgowns. Vividly remember my uncle questioning if Camron was gay or not cuz of the big earrings and pink furs :lol:

I agree with the last sentence though :lol:

RN9G40f.gif

I find the usage of the word "tough guy" to be a bit funny. Is a tough guy defined by what he wears or his actions?

Because technically...wouldn't Young Thug be considered a tough guy based on the consistency of the themes and imagery of his content ?

Since when did tough guy equal what clothes you're wearing?

1) What is considered overly masculine, because there's been TONS of rap from the 90's to now that hasn't been overly masculine & gotten love
2) you can argue nowadays that being overly masculine hurts you more than it helps, hence why rappers are dressing like european models & some are "trolling" with their sexuality for attention.

I'm fine with the clothing choices, some of it i like some of it i would never wear. However when ya'll are telling me rappers are toying with their sexuality for attention, i take issue with that because the next generation is looking at this and could become confused along with it.

This.

I've always felt that there is several ways to be lyrical. And imo "Issa"surprisingly is very lyrical. He's telling you exactly what these young dudes in the trenches are thinking... it's pretty dope how he did it. And I was expecting that at all from dude.

Just because you don't have to go back and dissect every word or it's not a million double entendres doesn't mean it's not lyrical. Not saying anybody said that but that's usually the consensus.

nah he was saying some **** on there ppl sleeping bc its 21

I put masculine in quotes because what's masculine to me is not universal. It's cats that think kissing your son, having long(er) hair, and putting on lotion (with or without fragrance) are not masculine. I know there's gonna be a difference in opinion on things like that so I wanted to make sure I left it open

and yea, today if you are too masculine it can cause more harm than good, ie the Toxic Masuclinity conversations
I get what he's saying, i think by tough guy game he really means the "gangsta rap era". Surely them dudes in the wild *** clothes from the late 70s/80's were tough as ****. But they didn't go out their way to tell yo so, Gangster rap came in and i'll admit that some people were so embedded in that image & story that they wrote off those who didn't rep that. However i wouldn't say the entire culture criticized everything that wasn't that, it just so happens that mainstream America caught wind and made that kind of hiphop more popular than others.
Pretty much.

Talk album intros and dont mention Ambitions Az a Ridah. Their taste is very east coast/ NY centric. On top of that, Joe is very, very dismissive of southern artist that aren't veterans. 

I was staring at the screen shaking my head at dudes failing to mention Ambitionz az a ridah :smh:

Agreed with the east coast centric sentiment, as well as the thought that Joe being dismissive of southern artists.

Dude doesn't give much credence to the south in general, especially Atlanta. I suspect he's one of those cats who's secretly upset that the spotlight has been focused down here for so long. Dude saying Atlanta was majority homosexual yesterday was wild, but I expect that sort of thing from him. It's his schtick. I believe he knew 100% that he was being problematic by saying it. Still having a hissy fit over Migos. Damn shame.

i live in atlanta and will admit its pretty damn gay out here....looks like it gets worse each year

Has anyone came up with an explanation of this yet
laugh.gif
I remember seeing it on twitter years ago and being perplexed and a little upset w/ myself because I couldn't deny that the song went hard
laugh.gif
DOG I FORGOT ABOUT THIS CLASSIC

this **** is sooo funny like this ***** is probably a killer doing all this flexible **** 
roll.gif

Last edited:
This is where we are just gonna agree to disagree, If a ***** tell me he just go in the studio & say the first thing on his chest, sure it can equal good music but it's not gonna be good lyrically. If your not putting real thought and effort into what your saying i'm not gonna call it lyrical, minimal vocabulary, lacking detail, showcasing emotion in the blandest way possible doesn't equal a good lyricist/writer to me. Now you can make impactful meaningfull music w/o being lyrical (ex Jeezy) but that's usually translated by having incredible charisma & wit.
was pac lyrical

i live in atlanta and will admit its pretty damn gay out here....looks like it gets worse each year

It's a hub for the gay community, sure. But to say the place is predominantly gay is a reach. In all honesty, I don't even notice an overwhelming presence unless I'm over by midtown. Perhaps it's the places I frequent, or perhaps I've just grown so accustomed to their being around that they begin to blend in, but I don't seem them out like that.

Back
Top Bottom