Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I’m reading the lyrics, the majority of it is about the young lady and her timeline, then about her upbringing, then he questions her leading capabilities because of her methods, goes off on a lil tangent about mental shackles, then he goes back to telling her that her methods are wrong/flawed, then offers one last suggestion “respectfully”, and then the rest of the song is not about her
With everyone so emotionally charged right now...a blind man could have seen what discussions were going to pop up even if that wasn't his intent.

But at the same time, it's his art and it's his perspective...which is what hip-hop is supposed to be. I'd say he shouldn't have dropped it...only if he realistically had something to lose by doing so, which IMO he didn't. He's not getting "cancelled".

On the broader subject...I really caution against continuing to propel this ongoing gender war between black men and black women. I want no parts of it. Yes, there is a sect of black women who have some questionable views influenced by radical feminist thinking...and there's also a sect of black men who have problematic views in the opposite direction. But by NO means do they represent the whole enough to make these blanket statements of what "Black Women" and "Black Men" are.
Thank you. Not sure how this is being missed. Cole could simply not have mentioned anything about women in the song and got his point across.

J Cole often speaks to a person for the bigger message, just like in Crooked Smile.

And I'm sure the people who can understand the message will receive it, because I understood it fine.

The people who want to concentrate on what Twitter says won't get it, and will never get it.

Cole wrote the song, and if people can’t see the forest for the trees it’s not just because Twitter says he’s misogynistic. It’s because the way he wrote that song it comes off very weird with some strong misogynistic wording and tones. That’s on him, Cole wrote a bad bar then followed that bar with some more not too well written bars

It’s fine, everybody makes a bad song or has some no too great bars. Less we forget Rick Ross’ rapey bar and many more

Cole wrote the song, and if people can’t see the forest for the trees it’s not just because Twitter says he’s misogynistic. It’s because the way he wrote that song it comes off very weird with some strong misogynistic wording and tones. That’s on him, Cole wrote a bad bar then followed that bar with some more not too well written bars

It’s fine, everybody makes a bad song or has some no too great bars. Less we forget Rick Ross’ rapey bar and many more

Misogynistic, oh lord :lol:

Dude has been speaking to people and rapping at people his whole career. :lol:

How do you dictate someones art?

The ones that will get it, will get it. The ones who don't will be on the sidelines complaining and nitpicking waiting for someone else to give them an opinion.

I don't even like Cole like that, but I swear people have no idea of his catalog.

What’s ironic is how condescending your tone is in defending a song about a man asking somebody to not be condescending

The ones that will get it, will get it. The ones who don't will be on the sidelines complaining and nitpicking waiting for someone else to give them an opinion.

I don't even like Cole like that, but I swear people have no idea of his catalog.

So you don’t think a person holds any responsibility on how the relay their message? In other words, if Cole’s message isn’t received well or as intended wouldn’t that also reflect on his ability to get his message across?

Nobody is even “dictating“ his art, they are reacting to it.

This. I don't even know how you get misogynistic vibes from the song. Just say you don't get it and move along. Look at what the very same individual is complaining about on their timeline? They don't have real problems. They are internet warriors, but when it comes to being down for the cause, their presence is limited to being online and getting a bunch of likes and retweets with some other miserable beings saying "YASSS, YOU GO GIRL".

idiot.JPG

Last edited:
So you don’t think a person holds any responsibility on how the relay their message? In other words, if Cole’s message isn’t received well or as intended wouldn’t that also reflect on his ability to get his message across?

Nobody is even “dictating“ his art, they are reacting to it.

No, I think it's art

How you perceive the song is your perception. Other people might perceive it differently, because you'll never be able to please everyone.

An artist would drive themselves mad hoping everyone got their message and intent.

The internet will have you believing everyone thinks one way, because that's who you interact with. Twitter can have a thousand people speaking negatively and 50,000 praising something. But people and Wale concentrate on that thousand.

His words can be criticized if it's fair, but some of this is faux outrage.

I always took Cole as a preachy dude, and it's one reason he bores me. He's always speaking at people. That's his style. Dude did a whole album at young people.

That's why I prefer Kendrick's tactics.

It never annoyed me, because I never saw it as being for me. A lot of dudes love and worship dude, so I figured it was for them. They get it.

People thought it was cool when he did that song at Wale, because they don't like Wale.

Cole is pretty consistent, and I think when you judge someone there should be a trial. Where you judge their body of work and not just react.

Buck probably posted his cash app to be funny.. people were going to call him broke regardless..he's probably like I might as well run with it and see if I can get some $

100 grand isn't alot but I'm sure buck has atleast 100 grand tucked somewhere

It's obviously some irrational ppl out there, some ppl who love the black men vs women **** etc. Some of the criticism of it coming off as misogynistic is prolly valid tho, idk

We know Cole wasn't coming w malice in the song but I do see how a dude coming at a female on a "I don't like your tone" kinda vibe could come off weird

I think some of it is overblown but I also feel uncomfortable telling females how they should feel about something. That's the same type of mindset some white ppl be having when we tell them something they said kinda came off as racist

Instead of tryna understand from our view, they get on some "It's not my fault you interpreted it that way", "you people think everything is racist" type ****

His words can be criticized if it's fair, but some of this is faux outrage.

I always took Cole as a preachy dude, and it's one reason he bores me. He's always speaking at people. That's his style. Dude did a whole album at young people.

That's why I prefer Kendrick's tactics.

It never annoyed me, because I never saw it as being for me. A lot of dudes love and worship dude, so I figured it was for them. They get it.

People thought it was cool when he did that song at Wale, because they don't like Wale.

Cole is pretty consistent, and I think when you judge someone there should be a trial. Where you judge their body of work and not just react.

In a perfect world, what you are speaking of works but in reality there will ALWAYS be people who are upset at what we consider small things. So why get mad over something that can’t be avoided. That’s like being mad everytime you pay sales tax. It’s practically inevitable so it’s a waste of energy. You chose to focus on the “faux outrage” instead of focusing on people who see the message. I’d wager most people don’t care or even notice that there’s an issue attached to the song, had i not gotten a notification on my phone I wouldn’t have known. So you bothered by the minority.

Cole put out a song, people have their reactions based on their experiences and those who saw something off called it out. You may disagree but that doesn’t mean people shouldn’t feel how they feel.
I’m not gon tell you how to feel about the song nor am I going to feel like it’s unfair for you to see things the way you do nor am i going to act like the message i received is the only message possible.

You got something from it, I got something else. If we do more listening than trying to prove ourselves right we can see other people’s viewpoint and understand how things aren’t just ONE way

****** talking about Cole’s song being misogynistic in here too? I’m so confused by all of this.

Once again, we love to do their jobs for them. Listening to the lyrics of the song, there are good points made that could spawn a meaningful conversation on how we measure growth and what our expectations for internal change should really be, but twitter.

Instead, ****** is arguing about how black men tear down black women. Aight.

Y’all gotta be smarter than to fall right into the outrage narrative of the day, especially when it’s helping to diminish what we are all fighting for.

But go off, sis. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom