Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

All this **** was going on during quarantine, I was locked in.

Ali formed the group, the group wasn’t getting any love with the labels. Mase’s man liked Nelly and told him to shop him as a solo. They write all the demos (no one liked the Country Grammar beat but Nelly) so he just spit their verses.

Ali and Nelly both did two long *** interviews and said similar ****. Ali should have kept this **** private and confronted Nelly years ago. You could tell he was bottling all this up and had to get it off his chest.

Country Grammar such a classic song! Summer 2000. Man, bruh hit the scene hard. They all goofed not jumping on that song

Country Grammar such a classic song! Summer 2000. Man, bruh hit the scene hard. They all goofed not jumping on that song

Man that beat was so crazy the first time you heard it. That beat and hook caught your attention instantly. The OG song had a kid singing the hook.

Can’t believe it was a white guy making those beats. E I beat so damn smooth too.

Country Grammar album was so damn big. One of the biggest albums I’ve ever seen. Up there with Get Rich or Die trying and Marshall Mathers LP. It was a movement but the album wasn’t that good. Probably like less than half of the album.

I get it why you like Nelly so much wavycrocket wavycrocket

Great song. Iconic video. One of the biggest rappers in his prime, flipping **** on his head to tap in with Uncut Era. Give Derrty his roses mane. Got damn!

E16C17EA-2822-4CB7-9508-1BC71D8ECEC4.gif

We've seen this time and time again. Especially if you didn't expect to get on. They were from St Louis after all.

It's funny though, Nelly has the Harlem dudes(Cudda Luv and Cardan) still around him.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised Nelly uses ghostwriters, there was a rumor that's what Cardan was with him. 🤷‍♂️

Crazy though, BET's Hip Hop awards giving career awards to someone who didn't write. Rap in 2021....

That's not a good excuse. Ali was already in the business, he shoulda been the most prepared. You can't assume you not gonna make it and do sloppy business. The credits on Country are "All tracks are written by Nelly (Cornell Haynes, Jr.), additional writers listed below". You need to have proof of your work.

That's not a good excuse. Ali was already in the business, he shoulda been the most prepared. You can't assume you not gonna make it and do sloppy business.

What's in the business in St Louis? That's like saying someone playing at your local YMCA is in the business and should know how the NBA operates. They were making local songs and were just putting out music finally hoping to get on. You think they would know Nelly would sell 10 million? You know how many rappers there are that never put out one album.

I wouldn't expect someone I knew for 10 years would do me dirty. This isn't limited to rap, this happens in the streets and in business.

What's in the business in St Louis? That's like saying someone playing at your local YMCA is in the business and should know how the NBA operates. They were making local songs and were just putting out music finally hoping to get on. You think they would know Nelly would sell 10 million? You know how many rappers there are that never put out one album.

I wouldn't expect someone I knew for 10 years would do me dirty. This isn't limited to rap, this happens in the streets and in business.

Ask him. Ali's whole thing is he was in business and he knew the business. Being from St Louis is irrelevant.

So you’re saying the group should have fought to get writers credits for every song on that album? They were so young and had no idea that album would be a smash, don’t think they were really in a place for that.

Ali said he pushed to sign a bad deal to get free studio time and to get them going. He said he told them if we’re hot enough, a label will get us out of our bad contract. Universal got Nelly out of the bad deal for 75K right after the album took off. I don’t remember what he said about the rest of the group.

Back
Top Bottom