Re: Why Dark-Skinned People From The Dominican Republic Refuse Their Blackness

Ninja you haven't responded to my comment man, you instead chose to post pictures of Dominican during the Dominican Parade in the heights. Those pictures don't do any justice, I can show you pictures of darker/blacker Dominicans as well man. The issue here is RACE, the fact that many "dark" or "Afro-Dominicans" (many other Hispanics/Brazilians) deny or don't represent their roots. Look at the post above.

Ninjahood loves to contradict himself...Dude will write "If you have long hair and light skin in my neighborhood you get all the buns." "I would dress hood when I was little but all the older Dominicans would tell me not to dress like the Morenos." Then claim, "We don't look at skin color." You respond to questions by posting pics of the DR parade or talking about Carmelo Anthony...What does Carmnelo Anthony's illiterate *@% know about anything?

Dude in Argentina is a latin country, basically everyone there is white....Look at Manu Ginobili, a white man of Italian descent. And African-Americans, the same people y'all try to distinguish yallselves from, are mixed the same as y'all Dominicans. Watch a program called African-American lives, almost no African-American is 100% black, they are all of mixed descent.

And the rich in the Dominican/Puerto Rico are all light skined whities, while the poorest people are usually dark skin with a heavy concentration of African DNA. Your right Ninjahood, you can call yourself and define youself as whatever you want, and stay in your little box all you like. But if we took a diverse group of 10 people from across the world Asia, Australia, India, China etc. and they were asked what you were, what do you think they would say? My guess is 9/10 would look at you and think of you as being "black." Race is meaningless to a person's identity. But that doesn't mean that it excludes you from the race aspect which unfortunately governs the world.

And as much as you love to come across as Dominican Ninjahood, your American. I know you love to be DR everything but the truth is you are American as it gets. You collect sneakers, love materialism, "American Muscle", Idolize American culture, the music, thesports, the hip-hop etc.If there was a sterotype of dress for "young, black, male" you would fit it. My guess is when they go to DR,they can tell your American in abouthalf a second,a nd you obviously give it away from your accent. So your not reallyDominican in a sense, your American. Your perspective of "Dominican" culutre comes from living in America. You live in New York where Dominicans are just 1 of thousands of cultural groups. When you live in that situation obviously the colorization of identitytakes a backseat to the tribalism of culture. There aren't enough of y'all to play the division game and seperate upon skin color so you are right when you say growing up in the heights the shade of your skin didn't matter. If you had grown up impovrished in DR, you wouldn't be singing the same tune most likely. You would notice most of the people around you with the same dark complexion as yourself and the richer "higher-ups" mostly mixed and very light skinned.

Look at the culture of Cuba, a country with similar racialmiscegination to DR. You notice most of the Florida Cuban's who came here when Castro took over where of light complexion? Why do you think that is? Out of a handful of the Cuban's I've met, I've heard a couple of them try to "affirm" their whiteness to me. Those are the ones who ran the island before Batistsa took over under the right wing government. Cuba was acountry with similar racist historyas DR and the USA, or any country that dipped their hands intowhat we call the African Diaspora. Thankfully, Cuba had a left-wing revoultion that allowed the country to not view blackness as a bad thing. That's why artists like the Buena Vista Social Club embrace their "Afro-Cuban" roots.

Here is Cuban Link, a man who's skin complexion is EXACTLY the same as Ninjahood, clearly from the same mix of African and Taino roots.

Notice how he refers to himself as "Black" and "Latino." This is becauseCuba had a cultural revoultion where blackness was allowed to be something positive not something that you could become part of a genocide for.In every country in South & North America, poor = black, that is just the sad truth.African slaves were the people who brought here into forced labor and the sameslavery that held them under 300 years ago, still holds them back today. Cuba fought back and kicked the #@* of the white people who forced them into slavery, sending them fleeing to America, while the black andindigenous populations took overthe land that they had labored for.

And I agree with y'all, Race is meaningless to one's true identity. It has nothing to due with what type of a person you are, but to pretend that race doesn't matter in a societal context...well that's something I can't pretend. The whole past 500 years of world history is driven by race. Ninjahood insisting that race doesn't matter in D.R. a country that was murdering its black citizens for being black about 80 years ago is like a black American pretending they were equal in 1900. It's creating a picture that simply isn't true. As much as it sucks, this world is race driven and will contually be. Humans love to divided themselves and their is no easier distinction to make than the color of one's skin.

Ninjahood loves to contradict himself...Dude will write "If you have long hair and light skin in my neighborhood you get all the buns." "I would dress hood when I was little but all the older Dominicans would tell me not to dress like the Morenos." Then claim, "We don't look at skin color." You respond to questions by posting pics of the DR parade or talking about Carmelo Anthony...What does Carmnelo Anthony's illiterate *@% know about anything?

Dude in Argentina is a latin country, basically everyone there is white....Look at Manu Ginobili, a white man of Italian descent. And African-Americans, the same people y'all try to distinguish yallselves from, are mixed the same as y'all Dominicans. Watch a program called African-American lives, almost no African-American is 100% black, they are all of mixed descent.

And the rich in the Dominican/Puerto Rico are all light skined whities, while the poorest people are usually dark skin with a heavy concentration of African DNA. Your right Ninjahood, you can call yourself and define youself as whatever you want, and stay in your little box all you like. But if we took a diverse group of 10 people from across the world Asia, Australia, India, China etc. and they were asked what you were, what do you think they would say? My guess is 9/10 would look at you and think of you as being "black." Race is meaningless to a person's identity. But that doesn't mean that it excludes you from the race aspect which unfortunately governs the world.

And as much as you love to come across as Dominican Ninjahood, your American. I know you love to be DR everything but the truth is you are American as it gets. You collect sneakers, love materialism, "American Muscle", Idolize American culture, the music, thesports, the hip-hop etc.If there was a sterotype of dress for "young, black, male" you would fit it. My guess is when they go to DR,they can tell your American in abouthalf a second,a nd you obviously give it away from your accent. So your not reallyDominican in a sense, your American. Your perspective of "Dominican" culutre comes from living in America. You live in New York where Dominicans are just 1 of thousands of cultural groups. When you live in that situation obviously the colorization of identitytakes a backseat to the tribalism of culture. There aren't enough of y'all to play the division game and seperate upon skin color so you are right when you say growing up in the heights the shade of your skin didn't matter. If you had grown up impovrished in DR, you wouldn't be singing the same tune most likely. You would notice most of the people around you with the same dark complexion as yourself and the richer "higher-ups" mostly mixed and very light skinned.

Look at the culture of Cuba, a country with similar racialmiscegination to DR. You notice most of the Florida Cuban's who came here when Castro took over where of light complexion? Why do you think that is? Out of a handful of the Cuban's I've met, I've heard a couple of them try to "affirm" their whiteness to me. Those are the ones who ran the island before Batistsa took over under the right wing government. Cuba was acountry with similar racist historyas DR and the USA, or any country that dipped their hands intowhat we call the African Diaspora. Thankfully, Cuba had a left-wing revoultion that allowed the country to not view blackness as a bad thing. That's why artists like the Buena Vista Social Club embrace their "Afro-Cuban" roots.

Here is Cuban Link, a man who's skin complexion is EXACTLY the same as Ninjahood, clearly from the same mix of African and Taino roots.

Notice how he refers to himself as "Black" and "Latino." This is becauseCuba had a cultural revoultion where blackness was allowed to be something positive not something that you could become part of a genocide for.In every country in South & North America, poor = black, that is just the sad truth.African slaves were the people who brought here into forced labor and the sameslavery that held them under 300 years ago, still holds them back today. Cuba fought back and kicked the #@* of the white people who forced them into slavery, sending them fleeing to America, while the black andindigenous populations took overthe land that they had labored for.

And I agree with y'all, Race is meaningless to one's true identity. It has nothing to due with what type of a person you are, but to pretend that race doesn't matter in a societal context...well that's something I can't pretend. The whole past 500 years of world history is driven by race. Ninjahood insisting that race doesn't matter in D.R. a country that was murdering its black citizens for being black about 80 years ago is like a black American pretending they were equal in 1900. It's creating a picture that simply isn't true. As much as it sucks, this world is race driven and will contually be. Humans love to divided themselves and their is no easier distinction to make than the color of one's skin.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Hmm these people from Mexico look very European ninjahood.

Amazon-Tribes.jpg

medium_vanishing040308.jpg

Stop tryna push denial of ancestry on other latino people
eyes.gif

oh because i photoshopped this map to prove a false point huh anton?
laugh.gif
grin.gif

pretend you're back in 3rd grade...use da legend, and see where da spanish territories are sir...

when you do that you're gonna shut da @$%% up about how Mexicans have no euro blood, and Dominicans should "embrace their blackness"

6846277.jpg

What's your point? My country was part of the British colonies, does this mean I have European blood?
nerd.gif
I may have some European blood....im full Nigerian and my last name means "Child of a White Man" 
eek.gif

Hmm these people from Mexico look very European ninjahood.

Amazon-Tribes.jpg

medium_vanishing040308.jpg

Stop tryna push denial of ancestry on other latino people
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif

pretend you're back in 3rd grade...use da legend, and see where da spanish territories are sir...

when you do that you're gonna shut da @$%% up about how Mexicans have no euro blood, and Dominicans should "embrace their blackness"

6846277.jpg

What's your point? My country was part of the British colonies, does this mean I have European blood?
nerd.gif
I may have some European blood....im full Nigerian and my last name means "Child of a White Man" 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by SlimK4

laugh.gif
grin.gif

6846277.jpg

nerd.gif
eek.gif
I have too many half British/Half Nigerian cousins.....and one german and a scott. My point is the fact that I have these ties to Britain as an Aglophone means nothing..... Most Nigerians have a christian/English first name.

Originally Posted by SlimK4

laugh.gif
grin.gif

6846277.jpg

nerd.gif
eek.gif
I have too many half British/Half Nigerian cousins.....and one german and a scott. My point is the fact that I have these ties to Britain as an Aglophone means nothing..... Most Nigerians have a christian/English first name.

Oh and the reason Portugese look so fark is the IBerian pennisula was once inhabited by the Moors. The Spanish and the Portugese while considered "white" genetically, a lot of them are quite mixed.

Oh and the reason Portugese look so fark is the IBerian pennisula was once inhabited by the Moors. The Spanish and the Portugese while considered "white" genetically, a lot of them are quite mixed.

I tried to stay away from this thread because the topic had been beaten to death and there is just no way everyone will agree.
But whatever its a rainy boring night so ill give my opinion.

Most Dominicans genetic history consist of black (african), white (euro), and "indian" (indigenous). So why then is it that everyone is up in arms that we don't call ourselves black? Like did you just pick one of our components and try to decide FOR US what we should identify ourselves as? No thanks. Seems like you are just reinforcing the old racially driven LAW that a drop of black makes you black.

Just let me call myself whatever I want. Shouldn't bother you. At the end of the day all I'm trying to do is live life, stack bread, and build some mansions back home.
But don't call me black.

I tried to stay away from this thread because the topic had been beaten to death and there is just no way everyone will agree.
But whatever its a rainy boring night so ill give my opinion.

Most Dominicans genetic history consist of black (african), white (euro), and "indian" (indigenous). So why then is it that everyone is up in arms that we don't call ourselves black? Like did you just pick one of our components and try to decide FOR US what we should identify ourselves as? No thanks. Seems like you are just reinforcing the old racially driven LAW that a drop of black makes you black.

Just let me call myself whatever I want. Shouldn't bother you. At the end of the day all I'm trying to do is live life, stack bread, and build some mansions back home.
But don't call me black.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Very true, like Southern Italians who are mixed with Northern Africans, like I said though, this could be a whole different topic. 
By the Way Ninjahood is Darker than Cuban Link amxpenny
laugh.gif

Ninjahood, its great that you take such pride and patriotism for being Dominican, why can't you acknowledge your race and ancestors though? Why can't you be a Black Hispanic person? Why can't you be a Black Dominican?

Most importantly why haven't you answered my questions and statements from before?

Very true, like Southern Italians who are mixed with Northern Africans, like I said though, this could be a whole different topic. 
By the Way Ninjahood is Darker than Cuban Link amxpenny
laugh.gif

Ninjahood, its great that you take such pride and patriotism for being Dominican, why can't you acknowledge your race and ancestors though? Why can't you be a Black Hispanic person? Why can't you be a Black Dominican?

Most importantly why haven't you answered my questions and statements from before?

if your hair is nappy then you're black. as simple as that. there is black latinos just like how there is white or brown latinos.

if your hair is nappy then you're black. as simple as that. there is black latinos just like how there is white or brown latinos.

Because on a global level blackness has been associated with negative quality it can be stinging to those who are the same skin color, to be so persistent that they aren't the same. It feeds into the same line of European idology that has been the root of modern strife across the globe.

For instance you have team Platano in your sig, but platano is certainly a food with deep African heritage. Mangu actually is derived from a West African dish named Fufu.

Because on a global level blackness has been associated with negative quality it can be stinging to those who are the same skin color, to be so persistent that they aren't the same. It feeds into the same line of European idology that has been the root of modern strife across the globe.

For instance you have team Platano in your sig, but platano is certainly a food with deep African heritage. Mangu actually is derived from a West African dish named Fufu.

^Yep. And if you want to get deeper, most spanish cultural practices customs comes from their intervention with the african moors. / the brown ones. All the traditions/ architecture and music are still carried on and celebrated as well. no secret.

^Yep. And if you want to get deeper, most spanish cultural practices customs comes from their intervention with the african moors. / the brown ones. All the traditions/ architecture and music are still carried on and celebrated as well. no secret.

Yo I was gonna point this out earlier
laugh.gif
Very true...

Yo I was gonna point this out earlier
laugh.gif
Very true...

Back
Top Bottom