recession proof..

With many companies laying people off do to the recession, any companies you know of that are actually hiring?

I work for Time Warner Cable (@ work now)

This is probably as Recession proof as you can get..

A company who has Local Divisions, always has a need for local people. We have call centers in the Philippines, but main call centers for techsupport/billing/dispatch will always exist for companies who service the area.

I'd look into Company like that, where they have a product that is constantly servicing an area, which is turn means a need for local bodies.

I don't know who is hiring but it seems the videogame market is the only market that is recession proof. December sales are up 13% from last year, which iscrazy since everyone else is doing horrible.

nursing seems to be a solid job industry right now and the catholic church is always looking for men to enter the priesthood.

<>

government jobs are the best, the government can never technically be insolvent (because it can print money and monetize its budget deficit) and governmentspending is going to increase dramatically under Obama and his ridiculous FDR-like policies. healthcare you will probably be able to get a job but your wageswill start declining heavily in both nominal and real terms.

lol @ Time Warner being recession proof. i honestly would not be surprised if it went bankrupt this year.

Originally Posted by Dey Know Yayo

lol @ Time Warner being recession proof. i honestly would not be surprised if it went bankrupt this year.
Time Warner? Or Time Warner Cable? They're two seperate entities now...

TWC is no where near being bankrupt, I dont even think TW is..

If this happened, I'd donate my annual net to a Charity picked by NT..put that on the board.

Oh i misread, i'm talking about TWX, time warner inc. TWX is definitely pretty much insolvent, it's 40B in debt, debt/equity of 0.6 not countingcommercial paper, trash company. don't know anything about TWX tho.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

I don't know who is hiring but it seems the videogame market is the only market that is recession proof. December sales are up 13% from last year, which is crazy since everyone else is doing horrible.

They were talking about this on CNN(?) a little while back. GTAIV was mentioned specifically. Health care is always in demand, recession or not. Super luxitems like yachts don't suffer. Rolls Royce actually increased sales by 20% in 2008. Peanut butter sales go up because people still want protein, butdon't want to pay extra for meat. I chuckled at that one, since you'd have to eat a whole lot of peanut butter. But I guess that's why pb salessupposedly shoot up.

luxury items will start suffering big time, because some of the richest people in the world are now going broke.

video game sales will start declining dramatically, a big portion of their sales is through holiday and birthday gifts which are suffering record demanddestruction.

healthcare like i said is becoming increasingly socialized so even though demand may not go down, nominal wages definitely will.

government jobs are the best. government jobs and low-paying retail jobs are the only jobs that have shown true organic growth in the last two decades inamerica. that's what happens when you run a structural trade deficit financed with monetized external debt.

but the most recession proof job of all is being a trader. stocks, options, currencies, bonds, whatever it is, you decide where you think the market isheading.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

I don't know who is hiring but it seems the videogame market is the only market that is recession proof. December sales are up 13% from last year, which is crazy since everyone else is doing horrible.
Video Games is good but its far from recession proof. That and after Holidays, video game companies take hits. If you're a small developmentcompany time to say good bye.
[h1]Sony Slash 8,000 Jobs[/h1]
By Luke Plunkett, 3:00 AM on Tue Dec 9 2008, 5,684 views

sonyvan.jpg
What economic crisis? This economic crisis. Sony just announced that 8,000 employees are to be given the *!*%, courtesy of a round of cost-cutting aimed at stemming the worst losses of the economic crisis.

The 8,000 will be let go by March 2010, and all come from the company's electronics division, which has 160,000 workers in total. There's nothing more specific than that at the moment, but if the PlayStation group escaped unscathed we'd be mighty surprised.

[h1]http://kotaku.com/5118577/free-radical-cuts-140-jobs-up-for-sale[/h1]
[h1]Free Radical Cuts 140 Jobs, Up For Sale[/h1]
By Mike Fahey, 2:00 PM on Fri Dec 26 2008, 6,200 views

freeradicalmonkeygear_01.jpg
The rumors of TimeSplitters developer Free Radical's demise were a bit premature, but things aren't at all good, as the developer drops over 75% of their workforce and puts the remnants up for sale.

The company went into administration following the shutdown last week, and now Cameron Gunn of administrators ReSolve Partners have outlined plans to offload the leftovers. 140 employees were "made redundant" effective December 31st, with the remaining 40 being offered up as part of the company's sale, indicating "strong interest" by unnamed parties.

It remains unknown what the potential sale means for the future of Free Radical's various projects, and hopefully the leaked concept art won't be the last we've seen of TimeSplitters 4.

[h1]http://kotaku.com/5128361/rumor-ea-planning-more-layoffs-mobile-division-already-hit[/h1]
[h1]Rumor: EA Planning More Layoffs, Mobile Division Already Hit[/h1]
By Michael McWhertor, 3:30 PM on Sat Jan 10 2009, 6,255 views

Electronic Arts may have additional layoffs planned for the new year, as a source at the company tells us that the publisher is planning to lay off 400 more employees by the end of March.

Whether that's on top of the 1,000 employees EA already announced it would let go as part of a restructuring plan is unclear and we're waiting to hear back from the publisher on clarification. The cuts are said to affect both contractors and regular full-time employees.

According to the source, EA Mobile has already shed 45 staffers, with QA testers being let go at the end of this month.

EA did not yet comment on the validity of the rumored layoffs. We'll update when and if they do.

[h1]http://kotaku.com/5127993/lay-offs-strike-crystal-dynamics[/h1]
[h1]Lay Offs Strike Crystal Dynamics[/h1]
By Brian Crecente, 5:40 PM on Fri Jan 9 2009, 13,690 views

custom_1231547318047_TombRaiderUnderworld.jpg
Crystal Dynamics laid off 30 people this morning in the wake of underperforming Tomb Raider Underworld sales, reliable sources tell Kotaku.

The cuts were made across the board, we're told, to eliminate redundancy and give the studio tighter focus moving forward.

Earlier this week, UK publisher Eidos said that sales of the latest Tomb Raider title were below forecasts because of the U.S. economy.

The company put full year revenue forecast at somewhere between £180m and £200m, but the 2008 revenue results will actually fall between £160m and £180m. Eidos said it might have to discuss debt repayments with its lenders.

[h1]http://kotaku.com/5124688/microsoft-planning-significant-cuts-source-says-layoff-reports-exaggerated[/h1]
[h1]Microsoft Planning "Significant" Cuts, Source Says Layoff Reports "Exaggerated"[/h1]
By Michael McWhertor, 1:40 PM on Tue Jan 6 2009, 6,021 views

ballmer_fires.jpg
Xbox 360 manufacturer Microsoft is reported to be jumping on the cost-cutting bandwagon, according to reports from CNBC. Said to be pursuing "significant" savings measures, spokespeople say that reports of mass layoffs are greatly exaggerated.

Over the past week, reports from other sources, namely Fudzilla, pegged the Redmond giant as laying off as much as 17% of its 95,000-plus workforce, a figure that doesn't include contractors. Fudzilla speculated that the newly profitable games division would be unaffected.

CNBC's source says that the Fudzilla reported is "grossly exaggerated" and that cost-cutting measures include attrition - meaning employees leaving voluntary by retirement or resignation wouldn't be immediately replaced - and the non-renewal of contract employees.

If Microsoft does scale back, it would likely announce those plans officially before the end of the month.

Competitor Sony is also rumored to initiate severe cuts in 2009, with The Times reporting that the electronics and entertainment giant would shutter "major divisions." Things are tough all over, man.

[h1]http://kotaku.com/5114113/ea-reducing-work-force-by-1000-closing-9-locations[/h1]
[h1]EA Reducing Work Force By 1,000, Closing 9 Locations[/h1]
By Mike Fahey, 8:00 AM on Fri Dec 19 2008, 17,866 views

ealayoffs.jpg

EA has revealed further details on its restructuring plans, which will see the publisher cutting approximately 1,000 jobs and closing or consolidation of nine studio and publishing locations, including Black Box Studio.

The workforce reduction portion of the program is actually an extension on the 6% reduction announced back in October, increasing it to a 10% reduction. Terminations of the 1,000 employees is expected to be completed by March 31st, 2009. On top of the terminations, nine studio and publishing locations will be either closed or consolidated with other facilities, with Black Box Studio in Vancouver, British Columbia being merged with the EA studio in Burnaby, BC.

Along with narrowing their games portfolio, these measures are expected to save the company $120 million annually, while costing them $55-65 million in restructuring charges over the next few quarters.

Not good news for employees, but I suppose it beats coming to work to find you've been locked out.

EA Releases Details on Previously Announced Reduction of Facilities and Work Force

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.-(BUSINESS WIRE)-Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced further details on a restructuring plan which will include consolidating facilities and reducing the work force.

EA expects the restructuring plan will result in annual cost savings of approximately $120 million and restructuring charges of approximately $55-65 million over the next several quarters.

The plan is intended to reduce EA's worldwide work force by approximately 10 percent or 1,000 people. The majority of these actions will be completed by March 31, 2009. This represents a four percent increase from the six percent reduction EA announced on October 30, 2008.

The restructuring also calls for consolidation or closure of at least nine studio and publishing locations. Among the facilities to be consolidated is the Black Box Studio facility in Vancouver, British Columbia. The Black Box development teams and associated game franchises will move to the nearby EA studio location in Burnaby, British Columbia.

EA is implementing a plan to narrow its product portfolio to focus on hit games with higher margin opportunities. The company remains committed to taking creative risks, investing in new games, leading the industry in the growing mobile and online businesses, and delivering high-quality games to consumers.

EDIT:
[h1]Sony Expected To Post First Loss In 14 Years[/h1]
By Brian Ashcraft, 12:00 AM on Tue Jan 13 2009, 5,160 views

sony_stringer.jpg
According to Nikkei, Sony's expected to announce an operating loss of US$1.1 billion (¥100 billion) for 2007-2008 - the first loss in 14 years and second since company was founded in 1958.

Loses could even be double the expected number, Nikkei reported. This comes as the PS3 and Bravia TV maker said it would have to cut 16,000 jobs.

Sony had originally forecast a profit of 200 billion yen for 2007-2008.

The company isn't the only multi-national Japanese corporation facing economic difficulties - Toyota, likewise, has been hit hard by the global financial crisis. Nintendo, however, hasn't.

I advise everyone to go get jobs with Nintendo!

Join the military, or military contractors. Those are the most recession proof jobs I can think of...

mcdonalds is a globalized company now, all those cheap american companies are. all the emerging markets who used to be able to afford this "luxury"because they were being financed by american consumption of their exports no longer have that wealth to spend. MCD BKC all toast.

seriously, nothing is safe right now, except for the government and gold.

Well I don't know.... When I start applying for jobs Im gonna ask what their starting pay is, then I'll tell them to I'll work for that -$1.00

some money is better than no money

DYK: just wondering why you're not in favor of Obama's stimulus plan? I didn't vote for the guy but I somewhat agree with what he's planningahead, and I'd like to get your thoughts on the bailout (of all the involved industries) as well as I agreed with both to the financial and autoindustries.

JDB: because i am anti-big government. government produces nothing. in order for it to give ridiculous economic stimuli, it has to be giving money taken fromsomewhere else. in this case, we ahve a huge budget deficit and have tapped out debt markets, so we are goign to be PRINTING money out of thin air. thatdestroys the purchasing power of dollar-denominated assets.

people often ask for the government to "fix" recessions and depressions. recessions and depressions are themselves "fixes"- they arepurging the world of malinvestment and artificially free credit (iin this case due to greenspan, clinton, and bush).

he is backing our beloved dollar with bad debt. it is a direct wealth transfer from the taxpayers to banks and govt.

Man, I was going to look for a job this year too to possibly get a step up from my current one.

I'd say hospitals, health care, etc. I'm looking for a pay increase as well.

Back
Top Bottom