recession proof..

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by DLo13

They pretty much only want dudes with an MBA and 10-15 years in banking, though...
eyes.gif
those who need jobs the most....

Hey, once those guys drive their bank into the ground, they can move right over to an FDIC job...the first-hand experience in bank failures will come in handy.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Dey Know Yayo

eNPHAN, you still make 0 sense. gold is not just a shiny object.
right, apparently it holds value for no reason whatsoever....

maybe because people like the way it smells?

its a concentrated form of value, but why does it have value?

can you explain to me WHY gold holds value?

no, you can't

because i told you why

people like shiny objects.

you want to be smart and have authority

but you can't even admit the most simple of statements

that gold only has value associated with it because its a "precious" rare metal, that is shiny....and people like shiny objects.

if, tomorrow, people, for some reason even i can't explain, stopped seeing worth in your shiny metal

you'd be assed out.

not saying that's 100 percent bound to happen

i just think it's funny people put so much stock into gold like it's the most perfect object to ever consolidate your wealth into

when, frankly, it's only valuable cause people like shiny things.

instead of being able to read and comprehend my ONLY point, you wanna try to talk down and over me, praising your own genius, yet failing to actually comprehend what's being said.

watch the response be like "no, the value is there because all civilizations have placed value on it....it's always been like that...and it'll always be like that....its just the best way to hold your wealth....at least thats what i was told once, and have adamantly advocated for, tooth and nail, ever since..."

instead of just agreeing with me...

roll.gif

you enjoying this matt?

you honestly think that people value gold because it is SHINY? you think the central banks of the world think gold is a good unit of currency and hedgeagainst fiat currency inflation and monetary expansion because it is SHINY?

gold has little use in industry. it is not consumed. that is why it is a good unit of currency. civilizations came to that conclusion after using thinkslike animals, food, etc for bartering and then they realized that those units of currency suffer demand ups and downs because they are utilized andconsumed.

gold has little utility in industry or consumption. it is a stable and stagnant item. that is why it is used so pervasively as currency and in means ofexchange. not because it is shiny. gold's lack of utility is what makes it the perfect candidate for unit of currency.

central banks have started trying to funnel their excess liquidity into gold. why? because it isn't consumed. that prevents hyperinflation becausefunnelling into conumer goods would cause massive aggregate demand expansion which leads to price inflation.

because it is SHINY?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Originally Posted by Dey Know Yayo

i have no idea what you just said, might want to run that past an editor real quick.

but here, lemme give you a little recap:

me: gold and government are safe in recessions
you: gold is not safe in recessions
me: you're an idiot
you: you're an idiot, if the world comes to an end no on will use gold
me: no ++!*, btu the world isn't coming to an end and we're talking about safety in this current recession here
you: *not quite a form of english*

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

batteries have HUGE industrial use, that's their only use, what are you talking about?

precious metals are great currencies because they are rare and because they don't have industrial use.

why isn't diamond a popular currency? because it isn't rare and there's too much demand in jewelry for it. it's shinier than them all.

also, gold has properties like malleability, is easily melted, and other chemical properties that let it change form easily which helps a lot in currencylogistics. nothing is as ideal for currency as gold.

I work for a pharmaceutical company called McKesson and we are hiring. We always have openings. The medical industry will always need people. We ship all themedication to all of the hospitals and pharmacys in the DMV. They just fired a dude here because he violated the attendance policy. smh... I dont get it?? Howyou not going to come to work knowing that your on a final warning and there is a recession out here. Dude got a 8 month old baby too. But we have been doingmore hiring than firing. The only reason people have got fired is because of attendance... Nothing to do with the recession.

eNPHAN youre wrong, face it, gold isn't just about being shiny, it's okay, you'll make it through this. step 1, go to elementary school and learnsome english. step 2, middle school-- they might show you how gold is more than just shiny. let me know if you make it past there and i'll guide you fromthere.

this is a good discussion, minus the bickering...

i also want to know what makes gold a better currency than silver...

it has less use in industry. eNPHAN, for a college graduate, you simply have terrible reading comprehension. do you not realize gold's lack of idnustrialuse and its unique chemical properties and its rarity is what makes it valuable? not how SHINY it is. are people ******ed? the richest men in the world havetons of bullion as a currency hedge. because it's shiny? smfh.

Most positions dealing with engineering/ science is hiring. Nurses seem to be more in demand now.

Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD

this is a good discussion, minus the bickering...

i also want to know what makes gold a better currency than silver...

Not an expert but i would presume because Gold was one of the first forms of monetary medium of exchange when bartering was common. I also think it has to dowith Silver being able to be tarnished, gold is imperishable

went to the local hollister to apply(SMFH
ae626f62568d4ca236c2d57481fcf672a2b578ac.gif
), got aninterview an hour later, this was on friday, hopefully I get hired
ohwell.gif

Saying gold is valuable because it is shiny is akin to saying the USD has been and is (for the time being) the world reserve currency because it has apreponderance of green pigment in it's paper form.

The USD has been and is the world reserve currency since WW2 because the US has shown itself to be the most powerful nation on the global since that time and(it was believed) the most financially stable.
Gold is still valuable after all of these centuries because it has withstood the test of history and has shown itself to be the most worthwhile store of valueacross the globe. Gold has shown stability and power over 4000+ years.

The amount of Gold in circulation cannot be easily inflated. In fact production of gold over time has been fairly consistent relative to the world'spopulation.
It's not a matter of a 1/4 of the world's population prizing gold, 1/4 prizing plastic bags, and 1/2 prizing blank DVD's as a the ultimate mediumof exchange. Everybody on this earth believes that gold is valuable and it's not because it is shiny. Gold is valuable because it has shown value andstability over the breadth of modern human history.

Just like yayo said gold's sole utility has always been as a store of value as well as projection of wealth and the fact that humans still value gold showsjust how valuable and stable it really is.
Humans can chuck gold (it isn't praatical in the sense of food or shoes) but why don't they? They don't because Gold will have to replaced bysomething else. In order for that decision to make sense the replacement has to be better than the original.

What other object/material on this earth has shown stability in terms of value over 1,000's of years? What other object's production has beenrelatively stable over 1,000's of years?
What object is less susceptible to volatile fluctuations in its value? What object is valuable even in minute amounts?

In order to replace gold the next global medium of exchange has to meet all of Gold's criteria and surpass some others.

Gold is valuable because it has shown value and stability over the breadth of modern human history.
eyes.gif

you finally gave ONE good answer tho "not easily inflated"

i mean, that's fine and dandy

but to say "it has value because it's been valuable since the beginning of society"

when, i am positive, initially, it was "valuable" because its gold...and shiny...

yawn, this is going in a direction i didn't intend, from my ONE comment about how funny it would be if gold suddenly lost it's artificial worth (i say artificial because it has no utility other than value)

i simply posed a situation in which gold would no longer be valuable...

he tells me "it'll never not be valuable, idiot"

i ask "why is that?"

he says "because....it can be melted...and it's been valuable for a long time"

eyes.gif

Originally it was valauble and it still is not because its shiny ( there are bright green leaves that are shiny!; gold in its natural stateisn't shiny) but because when the first humans saw it they went:

"Hmmm. All this relatively soft dirt, plenty of hard rocks but just this little speck of dull yellow substance".
Then over the years gold proved it's stability as a medium of exchange and store of value.

What else can replace gold really?
Maybe some rare substance on another planet but first we need to start traveling other planets regularly and figure out a way staying on them for extendedperiod of time. Long...long.... ways away.

The fact that it can be melted is important to its value.A lot of golds properties are important to its value. That's why it's valuable.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Gold is valuable because it has shown value and stability over the breadth of modern human history.
eyes.gif

you finally gave ONE good answer tho "not easily inflated"

i mean, that's fine and dandy

but to say "it has value because it's been valuable since the beginning of society"

when, i am positive, initially, it was "valuable" because its gold...and shiny...

yawn, this is going in a direction i didn't intend, from my ONE comment about how funny it would be if gold suddenly lost it's artificial worth (i say artificial because it has no utility other than value)

i simply posed a situation in which gold would no longer be valuable...

he tells me "it'll never not be valuable, idiot"

i ask "why is that?"

he says "because....it can be melted...and it's been valuable for a long time"

eyes.gif
Originally it was valauble and it still is not because its shiny ( there are bright green leaves that are shiny!; gold in its natural state isn't shiny) but because when the first humans saw it they went:

"Hmmm. All this relatively soft dirt, plenty of hard rocks but just this little speck of dull yellow substance".
Then over the years gold proved it's stability as a medium of exchange and store of value.

What else can replace gold really?
Maybe some rare substance on another planet but first we need to start traveling other planets regularly and figure out a way staying on them for extended period of time. Long...long.... ways away.

The fact that it can be melted is important to its value.A lot of golds properties are important to its value. That's why it's valuable.
what im saying is, opposed to paper money

gold can be worn, adorned on buildings, as an accesory, etc.

it's a way to openly show your wealth/ hold your wealth

i simply proposed a situation in which gold would be worthless, i.e. a time in which gold had no demand....rather, things of utility are in demand....seeing how the only utility gold has is to be exchanged for things of value, correct? if i am starving and have a dollar, and i am offered a gold coin or a meal....the meal wins....

if noone is going to exchange goods or services with you for your rare, precious shiny metal that's only use is an artificial value, then.......what? you gonna argue with dude in the st. like "look, this gold has been worth something for 4000 years, yes, i understand you cannot eat it....you can't really even use it for anything....except to show that you have wealth....wealth that you will actually transfer to me for this gold......and now that real wealth is represented by this gold" (ftr, wealth in that sentence=goods and services, NOT money, NOT dollars, NOT any of that...just goods and services, which is what "value" means anyway)

the first humans collected gold because they said "hey, we can barter and trade with this substance, it'll be awesome. it can retain value for 4000+ years, and i cant be inflated, this is gonna be so cool"?

no

they said "OOOOOO SHINY"

and wore it

then one day, a dude with no gold said "hey, this guy has gold. i like how it shines around his neck...... let me club him and take it"

then a bystander was like "oh, people are killing for this shiny stuff? lemme stockpile it and use it to barter for goods and services"

and 4000 years later, we're arguing about it.

right?

the whole "gold is valuable" isn't really based on anything concrete, other than the fact that people LIKE gold...

all i did was ask "what if people stop liking gold?"

or rather "what if people no longer value gold"

and...this came of it.

Rarity more important than it being "shiny" (gold's not really shiny; it does have a distinctive color obviously) even early on.

Back
Top Bottom