Religion = Insanity?

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

I was reading about the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case recently and I thought, why aren't more religious people considered insane? Here we have a guy claiming to be the prophet of god, promised 49 wives, and he's going around kidnapping kids and raping them under the guise of religion. Is it taboo to claim that religious people are delusional to the point of mental defect? Where do you draw the line between someone hearing the "voice of god" commanding them to build houses in Uganda and someone hearing "the voice of god" commanding them to attack Americans? One might be for good and one might be for evil but aren't both equally crazy?
I understand not all religious people are "extreme" but the idea of any religion is that you place your belief in something that cannot be proven right? If a child believed in Santa, it would be considered cute. If a grown man still put out milk and cookies every December 24th, he would be considered crazy right? I guess the point I'm trying to get across is, at what point are people considered insane? What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

ohwell.gif

Please don't humor OP. Dude/Dudette is clearly in the mood for a religion bashing seminar.

OP, you're obviously smart enough to acknowledge that the individual that committed these crimes, and in the source and inspiration from which this thread sprouted from, was ACTING UNDER THE GUISE OF RELIGION. Which means, he was using a religion as  FRONT/FACADE/SMOKESCREEN (these are all words that are synonymous with guise) to justify his innate evil. Which in turn means that the man himself was inherently rotting, and it was not "religion" that made him do what he did. That being the case, why the hate for religion and/or those who choose to be religious? It's quite naive of you, and your logic is facile, when you choose to demonize an entire "complex" because of one nutjob who falsely claims to be acting in the name of God. The fact that you've actually convinced yourself of otherwise makes me question your sanity. "Yes, because this crazy guy said God ordered this man to rape and murder lil children, which he did, God and/or His and/or practitioners of His religion must be crazy. Let's completely disregard the obviously maniacle mentality of the individual who actually committed this crime..."...
eyes.gif

I guess I'm completely logical and justified in believing that all atheists are nuts when one of y'all murders and rapes. I guess it's not the individual that should be held accountable for his or her actions, but rather the "complex" that said individual claims to be affiliated with. Right?

You religion bashers honestly make me cringe. 

I honestly feel like I sound like a broken record. Again, I'm not singling out any one instance as to why I believe religion to be a delusion, rather, I'm pointing out this one specific case because it was what I was reading at the time. 

The question I keep posing is why when someone does something evil, according to our societies norms, because "god told him to do it" that he is insane but when someone does something good, according to our societies norms, because "god told him to do it" that he is normal? A man could volunteer at homeless shelters on his weekends, donate half his salary to fighting famine in Africa, and judge the Wednesday night bingo games at the senior center, but I'd still consider him insane if he does all of the above because an invisible force compelled him to do it. Of course we could go deeper down the rabbit hole and question the fact that since there are so many different religions in this world could it be that ALL of them are wrong? And don't believers in each religion think that believers of the other religions are delusional too? When we talk about people starting wars and killing each other because of a difference in belief in unquantifiable things, we clearly see the divide between those who believe and those who don't. Atheists/agnostics are not going to bomb a mosque or a synagogue. You can lay the blame solely on individuals but can you honestly say that religion doesn't play ANY part in pushing that behavior?

I also disagree with your use of "innate evil" and "inherently rotting". Those are YOUR religious beliefs, let's not thrust those upon everyone alright? I believe the man is insane but I don't think he was born evil.
so are you saying that all muslim are terrorist? because terrorist do "in the name of Allah"...
Plus it is not a teaching in any religion to do evil. 

Every religion has its own believe but I dont think God has ever told anything to anyone personally.

I was reading about the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case recently and I thought, why aren't more religious people considered insane? Here we have a guy claiming to be the prophet of god, promised 49 wives, and he's going around kidnapping kids and raping them under the guise of religion. Is it taboo to claim that religious people are delusional to the point of mental defect? Where do you draw the line between someone hearing the "voice of god" commanding them to build houses in Uganda and someone hearing "the voice of god" commanding them to attack Americans? One might be for good and one might be for evil but aren't both equally crazy?
I understand not all religious people are "extreme" but the idea of any religion is that you place your belief in something that cannot be proven right? If a child believed in Santa, it would be considered cute. If a grown man still put out milk and cookies every December 24th, he would be considered crazy right? I guess the point I'm trying to get across is, at what point are people considered insane? What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

ohwell.gif

Please don't humor OP. Dude/Dudette is clearly in the mood for a religion bashing seminar.

OP, you're obviously smart enough to acknowledge that the individual that committed these crimes, and in the source and inspiration from which this thread sprouted from, was ACTING UNDER THE GUISE OF RELIGION. Which means, he was using a religion as  FRONT/FACADE/SMOKESCREEN (these are all words that are synonymous with guise) to justify his innate evil. Which in turn means that the man himself was inherently rotting, and it was not "religion" that made him do what he did. That being the case, why the hate for religion and/or those who choose to be religious? It's quite naive of you, and your logic is facile, when you choose to demonize an entire "complex" because of one nutjob who falsely claims to be acting in the name of God. The fact that you've actually convinced yourself of otherwise makes me question your sanity. "Yes, because this crazy guy said God ordered this man to rape and murder lil children, which he did, God and/or His and/or practitioners of His religion must be crazy. Let's completely disregard the obviously maniacle mentality of the individual who actually committed this crime..."...
eyes.gif

I guess I'm completely logical and justified in believing that all atheists are nuts when one of y'all murders and rapes. I guess it's not the individual that should be held accountable for his or her actions, but rather the "complex" that said individual claims to be affiliated with. Right?

I honestly feel like I sound like a broken record. Again, I'm not singling out any one instance as to why I believe religion to be a delusion, rather, I'm pointing out this one specific case because it was what I was reading at the time. 

The question I keep posing is why when someone does something evil, according to our societies norms, because "god told him to do it" that he is insane but when someone does something good, according to our societies norms, because "god told him to do it" that he is normal? A man could volunteer at homeless shelters on his weekends, donate half his salary to fighting famine in Africa, and judge the Wednesday night bingo games at the senior center, but I'd still consider him insane if he does all of the above because an invisible force compelled him to do it. Of course we could go deeper down the rabbit hole and question the fact that since there are so many different religions in this world could it be that ALL of them are wrong? And don't believers in each religion think that believers of the other religions are delusional too? When we talk about people starting wars and killing each other because of a difference in belief in unquantifiable things, we clearly see the divide between those who believe and those who don't. Atheists/agnostics are not going to bomb a mosque or a synagogue. You can lay the blame solely on individuals but can you honestly say that religion doesn't play ANY part in pushing that behavior?

I also disagree with your use of "innate evil" and "inherently rotting". Those are YOUR religious beliefs, let's not thrust those upon everyone alright? I believe the man is insane but I don't think he was born evil.
so are you saying that all muslim are terrorist? because terrorist do "in the name of Allah"...

Every religion has its own believe but I dont think God has ever told anything to anyone personally.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

This is a 2 sided argument, the only reason religious folks think atheists/agnostics are condescending is because deep down they know their beliefs are bull.
oh the irony, I was simply stating that ATHIESTS KNOCK RELIGIOUS FOLK FOR BEING CONDESCENDING. FROM A MORAL STANDPOINT.

This is a 2 sided argument, the only reason religious folks think atheists/agnostics are condescending is because deep down they know their beliefs are bull.
oh the irony, I was simply stating that ATHIESTS KNOCK RELIGIOUS FOLK FOR BEING CONDESCENDING. FROM A MORAL STANDPOINT.

People please relax. Don't spue your negative energy out like that. First of all who are you'll to questions religion before you question yourself. It's not like you had the choice to be what you are in your human life. For example humans don't get an option to be asian chinease or asian korean or to be african american or ethiopian. Nobody picks it on their own God picks that for.

People please relax. Don't spue your negative energy out like that. First of all who are you'll to questions religion before you question yourself. It's not like you had the choice to be what you are in your human life. For example humans don't get an option to be asian chinease or asian korean or to be african american or ethiopian. Nobody picks it on their own God picks that for.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

ohwell.gif

eyes.gif

Not all Muslims are terrorists but I believe all Muslims are delusional/insane because they live their lives in reverence to an invisible cosmic force that compels them to live their lives a certain way.
I disagree with your second statement. The holy text I'm most familiar with, the Bible, definitely has some things in there that would be considered evil if they were applied to modern times. Imagine if people still followed the Old Testament's laws 
sick.gif
. They weren't considered "evil" per se because God ordered it to be so.

Christianity believes in a personal revelation/relationship with God so... also, who was it that told the prophets what they taught? Surely they didn't just come up with it themselves.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

ohwell.gif

eyes.gif

Not all Muslims are terrorists but I believe all Muslims are delusional/insane because they live their lives in reverence to an invisible cosmic force that compels them to live their lives a certain way.
I disagree with your second statement. The holy text I'm most familiar with, the Bible, definitely has some things in there that would be considered evil if they were applied to modern times. Imagine if people still followed the Old Testament's laws 
sick.gif
. They weren't considered "evil" per se because God ordered it to be so.

Christianity believes in a personal revelation/relationship with God so... also, who was it that told the prophets what they taught? Surely they didn't just come up with it themselves.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

You know in all my time on here, I see the same debate over and over. The athiests who think that their opinions on religion spurn the entire functionality angle. Of course there are two rational sides to the issue, you can make that argument for just about any topic. Hence the entire existance of "debate", however, what does cause me to giggle everytime I see one of these religion threads pop up, it is 9 times out of 10 created by someone bashing religion. Seems one side is more bent on expressing their disdain for ones belief in something, than the beliviers are of preaching. You tell me who the condescending are.
I'm waiting for someone religious to make an atheism/agnosticism bashing thread. I can think of a couple NTers having a field day. 
laugh.gif

And of course it's atheists/agnostics making these threads, the majority of Americans are religious so it's only natural that those that are believers are comfortable with how things are. They have their support groups in their churches where they can constantly reaffirm to one another why what they believe in is right. Believing religion to be a delusion isn't exactly a community activity so of course people that hold those views are more fragmented.

It might come off as condescending, and maybe it is, but how else can it come off when one side tries to root their argument in logic while the other side clings onto their backward beliefs based on fantasy (virgin birth, noah's ark, jonah and the whale, garden of eden, zombie resurrection, etc.)? I'm curious how a religious person could be condescending towards someone atheist or agnostic. 
but this isn't exclusively an american board. There are several regions and countries specifically in Europe where Christianity (the only religion most athiests know of) is on the decline in every age category. And one of the main gripes with athiests is that religious folks consider themselves morally above others, I was just saying threads like these (and your response) show that vice versa rings true.

Are you trying to say the members of Niketalk aren't a majority American? Hell, if you only visited General, you'd think everyone on here was either from NYC, California, or Ohio. 
laugh.gif

I'm well aware Europe is very secular. That's awesome. Not sure how that pertains to the discussion...

I definitely don't consider myself morally above anybody. Everybody has their vices. I love women, recreational drugs, and rock music. None of which affect the lives of others. Unlike religion 
laugh.gif

You know in all my time on here, I see the same debate over and over. The athiests who think that their opinions on religion spurn the entire functionality angle. Of course there are two rational sides to the issue, you can make that argument for just about any topic. Hence the entire existance of "debate", however, what does cause me to giggle everytime I see one of these religion threads pop up, it is 9 times out of 10 created by someone bashing religion. Seems one side is more bent on expressing their disdain for ones belief in something, than the beliviers are of preaching. You tell me who the condescending are.
I'm waiting for someone religious to make an atheism/agnosticism bashing thread. I can think of a couple NTers having a field day. 
laugh.gif

And of course it's atheists/agnostics making these threads, the majority of Americans are religious so it's only natural that those that are believers are comfortable with how things are. They have their support groups in their churches where they can constantly reaffirm to one another why what they believe in is right. Believing religion to be a delusion isn't exactly a community activity so of course people that hold those views are more fragmented.

It might come off as condescending, and maybe it is, but how else can it come off when one side tries to root their argument in logic while the other side clings onto their backward beliefs based on fantasy (virgin birth, noah's ark, jonah and the whale, garden of eden, zombie resurrection, etc.)? I'm curious how a religious person could be condescending towards someone atheist or agnostic. 
but this isn't exclusively an american board. There are several regions and countries specifically in Europe where Christianity (the only religion most athiests know of) is on the decline in every age category. And one of the main gripes with athiests is that religious folks consider themselves morally above others, I was just saying threads like these (and your response) show that vice versa rings true.

Are you trying to say the members of Niketalk aren't a majority American? Hell, if you only visited General, you'd think everyone on here was either from NYC, California, or Ohio. 
laugh.gif

I'm well aware Europe is very secular. That's awesome. Not sure how that pertains to the discussion...

I definitely don't consider myself morally above anybody. Everybody has their vices. I love women, recreational drugs, and rock music. None of which affect the lives of others. Unlike religion 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by howdeepisyourlove

Maybe sit out the next few plays champ...

If you're trying to say religion isn't a choice... 

well, i guess it goes both way. I'll admit I'm a bit condescending, but I've heard religious folks call people out in these arguments for simply "expressing their opinions". If I say God doesn't exist in a non-condescending manner, religious folks will still take this as being condescending and view it as an personal attack on their very existence. I don't call religious folks condescending because they tell me they believe in God.

You're right, both sides do view the other as "condenscending" for one reason or another. I personally have no problem with religious folks, but I revel in the satisfaction and freedom to say "f*%^ your God". It's a freedom I never take for granted.

well, i guess it goes both way. I'll admit I'm a bit condescending, but I've heard religious folks call people out in these arguments for simply "expressing their opinions". If I say God doesn't exist in a non-condescending manner, religious folks will still take this as being condescending and view it as an personal attack on their very existence. I don't call religious folks condescending because they tell me they believe in God.

You're right, both sides do view the other as "condenscending" for one reason or another. I personally have no problem with religious folks, but I revel in the satisfaction and freedom to say "f*%^ your God". It's a freedom I never take for granted.

well in many ways religion is NOT a choice, it's both. Religion is an extension of your socialization as a human-being. Muslims are NOT born, muslims are raised. However, like many other values people are raised with (Eg. racism, sexism, homophobia, (bad values) and open-mindedness, kindness, acceptance (good values)), they continue to evolve as you mature as a human-being. Some people are able to overcome bad habits they picked up from society and their parents, but for many it is as difficult as changing their blood type.

If you were raised all your life to believe the lockness monster is God, no matter how much logic people throw at you it will be difficult to think otherwise.

well in many ways religion is NOT a choice, it's both. Religion is an extension of your socialization as a human-being. Muslims are NOT born, muslims are raised. However, like many other values people are raised with (Eg. racism, sexism, homophobia, (bad values) and open-mindedness, kindness, acceptance (good values)), they continue to evolve as you mature as a human-being. Some people are able to overcome bad habits they picked up from society and their parents, but for many it is as difficult as changing their blood type.

If you were raised all your life to believe the lockness monster is God, no matter how much logic people throw at you it will be difficult to think otherwise.

OP your completely right. Sometimes i wish would America would just go primarily atheist/agnostic already. Everyone will then soon realize that we were a step ahead of everyone.

How people havent realized that religion is stupid already with wars going on because of it baffles me.
Cool we got people killing others cause the enemy doesnt believe in your made up guy in the sky, where then those same guys that's the enemy is fighting for their own made up guy in the sky.

Its a stupid mess. They are insane.
No reason we cant believe a higher power is out there though. Its just not one of the multiple different gods we made up on this earth thousands of years ago.

If there is a god its too complex to comprehend. Its not Jesus, Allah, Buddah, etc.

OP your completely right. Sometimes i wish would America would just go primarily atheist/agnostic already. Everyone will then soon realize that we were a step ahead of everyone.

How people havent realized that religion is stupid already with wars going on because of it baffles me.
Cool we got people killing others cause the enemy doesnt believe in your made up guy in the sky, where then those same guys that's the enemy is fighting for their own made up guy in the sky.

Its a stupid mess. They are insane.
No reason we cant believe a higher power is out there though. Its just not one of the multiple different gods we made up on this earth thousands of years ago.

If there is a god its too complex to comprehend. Its not Jesus, Allah, Buddah, etc.

well in many ways religion is NOT a choice, it's both. Religion is an extension of your socialization as a human-being. Muslims are born, muslims are raised. However, like many other values people are raised with (Eg. racism, sexism, homophobia, (bad values) and open-mindedness, kindness, acceptance (good values)), they continue to evolve as you mature as a human-being. Some people are able to overcome bad habits they picked up from society and their parents, but for many it is as difficult as changing their blood type.

You're somewhat right. I understand there are places in this world where it might not be safe/prudent to make a decision on what you believe. I can't imagine growing up in an ultra orthodox Muslim family in Saudi Arabia or in an ultra fundamentalist community in the deep South. I don't take for granted that I grew up in a the liberal enclave that is the San Francisco Bay Area and I'll never forget actually growing up attending a deeply Christian school for over a decade.
Luckily we're in America, and judging by the demographics of NT that I've observed over the years, and most of us live on either sides of the coasts where it's more open to the idea of questioning what one believes. Maybe I'm stupid for thinking that if people only spent a bit more time thinking about what it is they have decided to put their faith in that we'd have less religious dogma seeping into society. People say religion is a personal subject and it doesn't affect anyone else but that's absolutely untrue. People vote based on what they believe and people in government make laws based on what they believe. Those two things alone impede a multitude of things such as civil rights, stem cell research, abortion rights, drug laws, education, and etc. 

Back
Top Bottom