Religion = Insanity?

Religion=Law same concept. To keep people self regulated and fearful of not fallowing order. You can use it as a power or be fearful of it. You choose which one to fallow. The only big difference is law is always getting added on.

Religion=Law same concept. To keep people self regulated and fearful of not fallowing order. You can use it as a power or be fearful of it. You choose which one to fallow. The only big difference is law is always getting added on.

Originally Posted by Yen2dro3

You might wanna reword this, I don't fallow.

Originally Posted by Yen2dro3

laugh.gif
@ the circle jerk argument. Dude really thought someone was tryna insult him. 
roll.gif

laugh.gif
My man wrote it twice, I thought he was in Victorian mode. Had to check my monocle and @@$#.

laugh.gif
@ the circle jerk argument. Dude really thought someone was tryna insult him. 
roll.gif

laugh.gif
My man wrote it twice, I thought he was in Victorian mode. Had to check my monocle and @@$#.

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

Originally Posted by CWrite78

What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

the pastor has a building to spew his crap, the guy in the corner doesn't.

pastor: License, ordain school, usually educated in the area of said religion

What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Licensed and ordained by who? That's right, other religious people that believe the same thing. It's a circle jerk.
Yes. But there is a difference, isn't there? They do study what they believe in. And it is a tough process. As opposed to the rambling guy on the corner.
Why are you so heated that you have to as low as calling me a jerk?
laugh.gif
What is the difference? They both fervently believe in what they're talking about. If anything, the rambling guy might have it tougher since EVERYONE in society thinks he's insane. Would you say the rambling guy has even more faith?
For the love of the various deities, please google what a circle jerk is... and also realize I'm not using it in it's most literal meaning 
laugh.gif
Yes of course they believe in the same thing, when did i say they did not? Im just saying it is more likely for one to have more credibility than the other. How is that so hard to understand?

And really, you are getting juvenile explaining as to why you used jerk. You could have called me anything, you're just mad. Period.
More likely? You're assuming. It's not hard to understand. I'm choosing not to follow your train of thought because I believe it to be incorrect. YOU assume that because the pastor has studied his religion thoroughly (and because the rambling guy hasn't right?) that he must be more credible. I'm saying NEITHER of them are credible since they both fervently believe in something that isn't there that can apparently talk to them. It doesn't matter how many years you put into it or if another person ordained you. Just because I've read all seven Harry Potter books hundreds of times and know them by heart doesn't make Voldemort any realer. Get it?
I REALLY hope you're joking about the circle jerk line. It's a common expression for when a bunch of people pointlessly do something. I don't actually mean the sex act. Please tell me you're joking.
Ill just say this debate will end here because it will be fruitless due to just the separate states of belief. I believe you are wrong and you believe i am wrong. Assumptions can go either way. Once I read the italicized section ill just leave it as is. You created a discussion thread and there is no discussing with you if you arn't open to seeing things from other points of views, right?

The ongoing discussion is whether or not religious people can be deemed insane.
When I said I'm choosing not to follow your train of thought, I mean I disagree with your assertion that just because a pastor has spent years studying the bible and has been ordained that he is somehow more reliable a source. At least that's what I'm getting from what you're saying. Master Zik pointed out that the very people that wrote the bible and other religious texts were not educated by anyone on their religion so why is it out of the realm of possibility that the guy rambling on the corner isn't spitting the truth? Which brings me back to my point that BOTH are equally not credible; that if we can call some folk insane because they do evil things in the name of religion that we can also call those who do good things in the name of religion insane as well.

I've spent the vast majority of my life seeing things from the other point of view. I'm sorry if I come off too critical but it's just how I feel. You could say I have a fresher sense of disdain towards religion since I have only just gotten away from it not too long ago. Have you tried seeing it from a different view?

Licensed and ordained by who? That's right, other religious people that believe the same thing. It's a circle jerk.
Yes. But there is a difference, isn't there? They do study what they believe in. And it is a tough process. As opposed to the rambling guy on the corner.
Why are you so heated that you have to as low as calling me a jerk?
laugh.gif
What is the difference? They both fervently believe in what they're talking about. If anything, the rambling guy might have it tougher since EVERYONE in society thinks he's insane. Would you say the rambling guy has even more faith?
For the love of the various deities, please google what a circle jerk is... and also realize I'm not using it in it's most literal meaning 
laugh.gif
Yes of course they believe in the same thing, when did i say they did not? Im just saying it is more likely for one to have more credibility than the other. How is that so hard to understand?

And really, you are getting juvenile explaining as to why you used jerk. You could have called me anything, you're just mad. Period.
More likely? You're assuming. It's not hard to understand. I'm choosing not to follow your train of thought because I believe it to be incorrect. YOU assume that because the pastor has studied his religion thoroughly (and because the rambling guy hasn't right?) that he must be more credible. I'm saying NEITHER of them are credible since they both fervently believe in something that isn't there that can apparently talk to them. It doesn't matter how many years you put into it or if another person ordained you. Just because I've read all seven Harry Potter books hundreds of times and know them by heart doesn't make Voldemort any realer. Get it?
I REALLY hope you're joking about the circle jerk line. It's a common expression for when a bunch of people pointlessly do something. I don't actually mean the sex act. Please tell me you're joking.
Ill just say this debate will end here because it will be fruitless due to just the separate states of belief. I believe you are wrong and you believe i am wrong. Assumptions can go either way. Once I read the italicized section ill just leave it as is. You created a discussion thread and there is no discussing with you if you arn't open to seeing things from other points of views, right?

The ongoing discussion is whether or not religious people can be deemed insane.
When I said I'm choosing not to follow your train of thought, I mean I disagree with your assertion that just because a pastor has spent years studying the bible and has been ordained that he is somehow more reliable a source. At least that's what I'm getting from what you're saying. Master Zik pointed out that the very people that wrote the bible and other religious texts were not educated by anyone on their religion so why is it out of the realm of possibility that the guy rambling on the corner isn't spitting the truth? Which brings me back to my point that BOTH are equally not credible; that if we can call some folk insane because they do evil things in the name of religion that we can also call those who do good things in the name of religion insane as well.

I've spent the vast majority of my life seeing things from the other point of view. I'm sorry if I come off too critical but it's just how I feel. You could say I have a fresher sense of disdain towards religion since I have only just gotten away from it not too long ago. Have you tried seeing it from a different view?

Originally Posted by YoungAnakin

despite indisputable evidence to the contrary.

explain yourself

and most of yall have NO UNDERSTANDING of organized religion and its easy to tell
laugh.gif

pastors AREN'T prophets, they are interpreters of the Bible. THAT'S why they go to school, seminary, etc. to gain the UNDERSTANDING of the Bible. the Bible is a historical account for the most part which came from ancient scrolls, writings, etc.

and to answer op, I BELIEVE that there is no way that the God of the Bible, and the God i believe in, would tell son to do that. this falls in the same category as the KKK supposedly being a "Christian organization." what he did was CLEARLY wrong/evil and goes against the God of the Bible

Originally Posted by YoungAnakin

despite indisputable evidence to the contrary.

explain yourself

and most of yall have NO UNDERSTANDING of organized religion and its easy to tell
laugh.gif

pastors AREN'T prophets, they are interpreters of the Bible. THAT'S why they go to school, seminary, etc. to gain the UNDERSTANDING of the Bible. the Bible is a historical account for the most part which came from ancient scrolls, writings, etc.

and to answer op, I BELIEVE that there is no way that the God of the Bible, and the God i believe in, would tell son to do that. this falls in the same category as the KKK supposedly being a "Christian organization." what he did was CLEARLY wrong/evil and goes against the God of the Bible

wait, people actually think pastors committing evil is part of God's plan? This religion $@@$ is way too convenient.
laugh.gif
   Honestly, nothing else gives people an excuse for stupidity, ignorance, hatred and evil more thant religion.

wait, people actually think pastors committing evil is part of God's plan? This religion $@@$ is way too convenient.
laugh.gif
   Honestly, nothing else gives people an excuse for stupidity, ignorance, hatred and evil more thant religion.

I don't know why/how people can believe in god. The basic instincts of a human being is to believe or perceive what are 5 senses can react to. You cant see god, you cant hear god, you cant touch god, you cant smell god, you cant taste god, how can you believe in god? Religion is an excuse for people to do bad on Friday and feel good about themselves on Sunday.

I don't know why/how people can believe in god. The basic instincts of a human being is to believe or perceive what are 5 senses can react to. You cant see god, you cant hear god, you cant touch god, you cant smell god, you cant taste god, how can you believe in god? Religion is an excuse for people to do bad on Friday and feel good about themselves on Sunday.

Just observations.

Strong points for religion: 

Amazing sense of self confidence (almost drug induced like) for some people. 

Essentially free therapy, religion makes it ok for one to identify ones weaknesses in knowing god will ultimately make their problem or situation better and there is nothing wrong with that. 

Religion (the vast majority), implies the best of an individual as a person and if followed faithfully (in anun-extrimest sense) a person will display many great moral characteristics (still won't be perfect).

Counter-points for religion:

People can use faith as an unbiased crutch for everything, bad day? God wants it to be that way, lose your job? God is testing me, Bird +!!*$ on your windshield? God did it. 

Extrimest viewing, for the same thing that can make religion a strength also makes it a weakness when thinking in this unbiased sense because it makes people who channel the self-confidence of religion take their interpretations in hoping it will put them on a secondary level beyond others with god.

Inaccuracy, did god really invent the universe as we know it in 7 days? Logic points to no. Are we really vain because a man decided to eat an apple off of a special tree? Logic begs to differ. 

As for my point of view on the subject I believe that if you can get past the clearly over-exaggerated teachings among religion and treat the topic as stories with potential guidelines to become a better person then there is essentially no detriments of religion. Sure you can say that religion is responsible for death, wars, viles of people, but there is strong reason to believe that if religion had never been conjured people would still find a way to do all of those things on the same scale. 

Back
Top Bottom