Religous Affiliation Of The US

Does the US have any affiliation to any religion?

Of course you have your Muslim nations in the Middle East; and your Catholic Nations of Europe; but can the US claim any religion?

But let me get to my point. No disrespect but why does the country honor religious holidays by shutting things down?

I can understand Christmas and Thanksgiving because people are generally BUSY (even heathens) but I was somewhat bothered that I went to JC Penny and it wasclosed because it was "honoring" Easter. Besides that here and there Easter Dinners that some families participate in and of course in the blackcommunity us spending all of our rent $ on clothes we won't wear for another year; WHAT do people really do on Easter?

I just feel that Easter is a more "religious" holiday than TK and XMAS. TK and XMAS are somewhat celebratory holidays with religious undertones.

Please don't try and turn this post on me and call me disrespectful or blasphemous because those are NOT my intentions at all. I just want an explanationas to WHY a religious practice is somewhat "forced" upon us as a Nation.

If I offended anyone, "I am sorry in advanced"

There is a difference between the first amendment and the country taking it upon themselves to "force" the entire country to "celebrate" a"religious" holiday.

So nobody sees how it is actually AGAINST the First Amendment to close down shop on Easter?

I bet if someone closed down shop on Halloween there would be a nasty uproar in this country.

shops are closed down on non religious holidays all the time. halloween isnt a holiday, either

it's each individuals stores choice to close on easter and it isn't forced on them by anyone. another thing is that if a majority of employeescelebrate the holiday then who are they going to get to work? and since they can't force the employess to work because they have to honor their beliefsthen they have to close.

with that being said there were plenty of places still open on easter sunday...i know cuz i spent the whole day out and i watched 2 movies.

the government has no control over when a private company such as JC Penny decides to open or close its doors.

Originally Posted by That Valles Dude

This country was based on hypocrisy...

Elaborate (in relevance of this case) if you will my brother
pimp.gif

I have made it no secret on here where my religious beliefs lie: I fully believe in God and I am a student of Christ's teachings... but I FULLY disagreewith the way this country attempts to practice Christianity. With that being said...
jcsellsf:
the us was built on chrisitian beliefs and values
FALSE!!!

This country was built on murder, slavery, persecution, war, deceit, and the IMAGE of religion. But me LOOKING religious is not the same as me being religious.Me APPEARING to be Christian is not the same as me being Christian. This country doing things to APPEAR grounded in Christianity is not the same as thiscountry being grounded on Christianity.
jcsellsf:
This country was based on hypocrisy...
TRUE!!!

As for my position on the thread starter's original ideas, I completely agree. Other countries that adopt a specific religion (be it Hindu or Buddhist orMuslim or whatever), the large majority of the country ACTUALLY practices that religion... RELIGIOUSLY. America practices faux-Christianity VERY well, so Icompletely agree with the notion that we should just give up on the idea of having everything shut down on Christian holidays, like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I will always be taking off on holidays relevant to Christianity. So let's say the country drops the concept of shutting downon these days. So wherever I work, I take these days off because they are meaningful dates to me and my beliefs.

Then other people who aren't Christian (or are, but aren't very serious at ALL in their practice), they notice me taking these days off, and theydecide that they should be able to, too. So now they're claiming Christianity.

After a few years, everyone where I work would be taking off these Christian holidays, and the same dynamic would be happening across the country.

So even though the country would let go of this concept of OFFICIALLY shutting down on Christian holidays, it wouldn't take too long for the country tounofficially be shutting down on these holidays. And then the decision would be made to just go ahead and shut everything down again, since everyone'staking off on these days (some with a sincere reverence to the meaning of the holiday, but most with no knowledge or concern for the meaning of the holiday).

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

it's each individuals stores choice to close on easter and it isn't forced on them by anyone. another thing is that if a majority of employees celebrate the holiday then who are they going to get to work? and since they can't force the employess to work because they have to honor their beliefs then they have to close.

with that being said there were plenty of places still open on easter sunday...i know cuz i spent the whole day out and i watched 2 movies.

Exactly. No one is forced to celebrate Easter, Christmas or any other holiday, by the government. MLK day is not a religious holiday, but most places areclosed that day, same with Memorial day. What you choose to do that day is entirely up to you. The US has no religious affiliation, the entire point ofcoming to the US was so that you could practice whatever you like. Yes most people in the US are Christian, but that doesn't mean non Christians has to goto church or celebrate Easter.

This country was built on murder, slavery, persecution, war, deceit, and the IMAGE of religion. But me LOOKING religious is not the same as me being religious. Me APPEARING to be Christian is not the same as me being Christian. This country doing things to APPEAR grounded in Christianity is not the same as this country being grounded on Christianity.
pimp.gif
Good stuff there

Why are you just pointing out opinions that coincide with yours, DC?

As for us being a faux-Christian nation, I think that ambivalence towards religion comes from the conflicting ideals and practices of the nation at the timethat America came about. The Founding Fathers wanted a place where other religions can practice yet the large majority of Americans at the time wereChristians. I haven't thought out what I just said, but it's just an idea.
Then there was the whole legacy of pushing "inferior" people to practice the Anglo-Saxon way of life.

With regards to why businesses close on holidays, as other people have said, businesses are free to open/close their store whenever they want.

And isn't Thanksgiving a harvest festival, not a religious holiday?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

So nobody sees how it is actually AGAINST the First Amendment to close down shop on Easter?

I bet if someone closed down shop on Halloween there would be a nasty uproar in this country.

Is the government supposed to force stores to stay open on holidays?

what industrialized nation wasnt founded on slavery, murder, etc???? what empire wasnt founded on all that stuff???

^ No one said America is exclusive in that it was founded on inhumane evils; we were (at least I was) simply refuting the notion that the nation was founded onChristianity.

The US of A is clearly Christian.. There will never be a viable presidential candidate who isn't of some sorta Christian denomination and that sayseverything about the religious tilting of America.. Well at least in the foreseeable future..

^ No one said America is exclusive in that it was founded on inhumane evils; we were (at least I was) simply refuting the notion that the nation was founded on Christianity.

when people say "the nation is founded on Christianity", i think they are more referring to how the founding fathers incorporated Christiantraditions and biblical principles into the Constitution. they didn't want to put religion explicitly in it, nor did they discuss religion while they werewriting it. but it seems that a lot of the ideas they have are from the Bible.

i wish i could find the link, but there was a site that had numerous excerpts from the Constitution and showed a corresponding Bible verse that was almostexactly like it. not that the Bible was the only source of those ideas and that way of thinking, but since all the writers were Christian it's likely thatwas their inspiration.

i think it's safe to say that the Constitution would not have turned out the way it did without the Christianity.

^ Right, the Constitution is an example of the subtle Christian contribution our forefathers fused into the founding of the country, but that's whatI'm talking about: there was the imagie of Christianity, but the practice was nowhere to be found.

Unless killing people to take over their land counts as a Christian principle.

It's not.

but since all the writers were Christian it's likely that was their inspiration.
Nope...and, I know someone will want to argue with me...so...

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html

Why does the bible get credit for things like???

Don't kill others
Be nice to your neighbors
etc, etc, etc...

...these things aren't christian values or from the bible...they are social values, human values...we don't need a book to tell us these things...

JM

Back
Top Bottom