Relocating To A New City

Relax. your too uptight. Pull ya skirt down :lol: . You take yourself too serious about LA and in general.

it is easier so ain’t much to say about it.
so because i am being objective that is being uptight? yet any opportunity you get to trash LA you jump on it? however you praise NYC.

it only shows you are narrow minded and do not explore. it is ok to live that way but do not be surprised when people question your frame of mind.

Crazy that I came across this thread...
Coming up on a year out of college and looking to move as well (currently hate where I live at)
I’m also an engineer like op lol

so because i am being objective that is being uptight? yet any opportunity you get to trash LA you jump on it? however you praise NYC.

it only shows you are narrow minded and do not explore. it is ok to live that way but do not be surprised when people question your frame of mind.

It’s alright man. Let it go and pull ya skirt down :lol: . It’s just a message board.

Coming up on a year out of college and looking to move as well (currently hate where I live at)

I’m an engineer too. Which type are you and that could help on your search of where you should or could go. Where do you currently stay?

I’m an IE and I live in VA (757).

probably not much going on? I remember when I first got out of school as an engineer and making good money. You def wanna enjoy it. As an Industrial you can get something in the DMV primetime area (my boy just got a IE job in Hyatsville, MD). Probably some things in Omaha, NJ & Philly as well.

I’m sure there’s other IEs in here who know more though.

I live in Charlotte it's an easy place to live. Weather is great, and the cost of living is fantastic. Tempted to purchase a condo here even though I plan on moving. The city is meh overall though honestly, It's almost too gen z if you know what I mean, its like they are tryin to manufacture things that happen naturally in larger cities.

For me though, I have decided I need more of an arts, food and bar scene, and just a faster pace.

Los Angeles, Chicago or NY for me within the next 12-16 months.

Chicago and NY better for me professionally, but I Love LA, and my lady loves it too.

LA man, don’t go back to the bs weather!

How do you like it down there? Where at do you live?

My boy went to Norfolk and I always enjoyed that area.
I personally don’t really like it but that’s probably due to me not really knowing anyone out here.
I live in Hampton but I’ve been to Norfolk a couple of times since moving up here and it was cool.

probably not much going on? I remember when I first got out of school as an engineer and making good money. You def wanna enjoy it. As an Industrial you can get something in the DMV primetime area (my boy just got a IE job in Hyatsville, MD). Probably some things in Omaha, NJ & Philly as well.

I’m sure there’s other IEs in here who know more though.
What type of engineer are you? If you don’t mind me asking.

What type of engineer are you? If you don’t mind me asking.
Petroleum & Natural Gas. Been doing a lot of project engineering working the midstream LNG sites and upstream side drilling.

im in Texas right now and love it but I know I’ll be back out East eventually because of family. Then I’ll get on the downstream side. I just expanded on what I’m able to do/know so I’m able to go to whatever city.

^thanks for the advice... ya was thinking particularly houston and atlanta to be specific... houston because my job is located there in texas so again i would have to visit there and atlanta also to know how it is there... but in your opinion how would it be different as far as a culture shock? im a minority specifically asian so would i struggle there?
'
you wouldn't struggle to fit in.. houston is more spread out. people are nicer. southern hospitality is a real thing.
it also has a huge asian community. theres different parts of houston where each part of the city feels really different from the next. lots to do
there are large communities from every ethnicity here.

Both places are major metros so you can find your community there, minorities run mostly everything ...ATL is more black focused and Hou is a mix of Mexican and Black..You won’t have a problem being Asian but you just gotta be cool with most places catered to the groups I mentioned...in both places Gun laws are real loose, they are against public transportation, more religious than up north, taxes lower but the public services aren’t good, and anything outside of the metro area is super trash big Trump type country...ATL is more like NYC where it’s alotta ppl from everywhere, you won’t run into locals if you don’t want to

houston is actually the most diverse (non-white) city in america
houston has way more people not from houston than atlanta...there are record number of people moving from ny and cali everyday (before the pandemic) which is why it will overtake chicago as the 3rd largest city in the next decade.
i wouldn't even consider atlanta a big city...its actually tiny in comparison

Of the 2 Houston def has the better Pay to COL ratio. You get damn near regular big city pay and 200k mansions. ATL doesn't pay like that unless you transfer in.

another good point. the housing market in houston is really good
and if you have a stable income in the next 4 quarters you can really flourish if you looking for a house cause the prices are supposed to drop cause of this pandemic
if you have good credit, the time is now. im currently looking as well.

WHat about non major cities in California? I'm researching places to potentially move my family to. My wife can significantly more money in her profession in CA.

another good point. the housing market in houston is really good
and if you have a stable income in the next 4 quarters you can really flourish if you looking for a house cause the prices are supposed to drop cause of this pandemic
if you have good credit, the time is now. im currently looking as well.

looking for another house in Houston right now as we speak actually In the next couple of months. Renting the other one out. You ain’t never lie.

Hey man we're at the age where we can make these types of moves with no strings attached really. Like I said before nows a great time to look for jobs; you could get hired somewhere else without leaving your house. I would recommend staying with your current company at least a year before you leave though.

Back
Top Bottom