Remove your hat in the building. Vol. Where and why did it start?

Originally Posted by i like shoes too

Originally Posted by RKO2004

i like shoes too wrote:

i would think church

Yeah and someones home. But why school?
people take it off in church for respect, so thats where and why it started

Doesn't make much sense seeing as how most older religions tell you to keep your hat on so god doesn't see the top of your head.

I honestly can't find anything that talk about where the custom developed.

Its like all these other so called rules, forms of disrespect, or this so called "thats just the way it is". Certain groups of people have a way ofdoing things, they deem as right, and since the majority rules, thats just the way things are. The reason of its disrespect is a unjustifiable lame @$$cop-out.

Its no different then no elbows on the table, or suit and tie makes you respectful,professional, etc.

It's a respect thing. I was always told as a kid to take off my hat indoors.
It's just one of those cultural nuances.

Just like standing up to shake a person's hand. It's just a sign of respect.

"Taking off hat/cap - in medieval Europe knights and soldiers had a
helmet as a protection. Entering a home with a helmet on was a cause
of serious concern. It was considered entirely unfriendly and a new
custom emerged of taking of helmet and later whatever you were wearing
on your head (ladies excluded)."

"Taking the hat off is the modern remains of the ancient custom of
Knights who removed their helmets in the presence of those they felt
their friends and thus, before those they wished to honor by showing
that they trusted them. A man removes his hat before a woman to show
his respect. Touching the brim is but a perfunctory salute."

It's a sign of respect and basic etiquette.

If you were Neyo, you would keep that hat on at all times. Some people's hairline just ain't built to show the world like that.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

doesn't justify you bumping it after 5 minutes

I'm sorry Dirty. I was having a discussion and really needed an answer. Plus threads get lost quick.

I'm guessing you didn't have an answer to my question? If you're going to correct me then answer my question after please.
that's irrelevant.
you share this board with thousands of other people...your needs don't trump others

I'm correcting you on your etiquette on here... the rest... that's not really any of my concern
and btw. you probably would have received a quicker and more accurate response had you simply used google.

Yea my boy never takes off his hat. Hes 23 and has a receding hairline.

I stopped wearing hats because i had my hair in huge afro mode all the time. So when i cut my hair off, i just never went back to wearing hats. So i never runinto the "taking off the hat" issue.

I guess like some have said, its sign of respect and spawned centuries ago. I think in modern times its not really that big of a deal. We all perceivesomething different though, so it just depends on how you look at things.

BTW^^^^ Dirty just committed murder.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by GodofWar

If you were Neyo, you would keep that hat on at all times. Some people's hairline just ain't built to show the world like that.

lol at this response, such a typical NT reply,
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

BTW^^^^ Dirty just committed murder.
roll.gif
roll.gif

He sure did. I don't know why He chose to kill me like that. It wasn't even called for. I was just giving him my reasoning and He just killed me withone post. I guess that's what happens when you mess with The Dirty.

98c3586e40f66393f049b7f88c511b7e1f5e596.jpg

*DEAD*

It's just a sign of respect or proper etiquette.

Hats used to be a staple in men's fashion, and part of that involved removing it indoors, when in the presence of a woman, etc.

It's less common now a days due to the decline in popularity of men's hats in the classic sense, it doesn't quite apply to fitteds in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

It's just a sign of respect or proper etiquette.

Hats used to be a staple in men's fashion, and part of that involved removing it indoors, when in the presence of a woman, etc.

It's less common now a days due to the decline in popularity of men's hats in the classic sense, it doesn't quite apply to fitteds in my opinion.
Thanks to you and to the other people who actually answered the question rather then trying to school me like a disgruntled teacher.

FTR I take my hat off in homes and places of that nature. I just wanted to know where it came from and etc. And hey, maybe this thread will cue others to pickup the "tradition".

Originally Posted by LDJ

Its like all these other so called rules, forms of disrespect, or this so called "thats just the way it is". Certain groups of people have a way of doing things, they deem as right, and since the majority rules, thats just the way things are. The reason of its disrespect is a unjustifiable lame *** cop-out.

Its no different then no elbows on the table, or suit and tie makes you respectful,professional, etc.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Question tradition!

Originally Posted by ca5perrr

its a military thing,

you only wear a hat in a building if you're carrying a weapon.
so if someone sees you with a hat on its cuz you're carrying a weapon

eek.gif

I remember in HS they tried to tell me to take my hat off all of the time. My friends and I were jackholes and asked the principal where it said wecouldn't wear hats in the student handbook. It didn't so we won the battle but not the war. I only take it off at church or my grandmothers house.

Once I figured out I could get away with it, I've worn a baseball cap to work for 8 straight months. Didn't the first 4-5 months because it said in theguidelines booklet that we shouldn't, but I came to find out they go easy on certain issues. I work at a not-for-profit community center, and I don'tlike to have tococmb my hair/use products.

Back
Top Bottom