Rep Your Fraternity/Sorority!!! Vol. We Run The Yard!

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by TheTim11

there's that Tony Mandarich buzz around me
I wonder why?

Spoiler [+]
Tony Mandarich admits steroid use in TV interview
NEW YORK (AP) - Former NFL draft bust Tony Mandarich said he used steroids at Michigan State and faked a doping test before the 1988 Rose Bowl.

He also said during an interview on Inside the NFL that will air Wednesday on Showtime that he did not use steroids in the NFL but was addicted to alcohol and painkillers.

THE HUDDLE BLOG: More from Mandarich and audio from TV interview

Mandarich, whose autobiography will be released in March, said he provided a fake urine sample to evade detection before the '88 Rose Bowl in which Michigan State beat Southern California 20-17. Mandarich said he couldn't confirm a report that other players did the same.

The offensive lineman was the No. 2 overall pick in 1989 by the Packers. He lasted just three years with Green Bay amid rumors of steroid use.

"I got to the point where it was a struggle to work out three or four times a week because the priority of getting high was above the priority of working out," Mandarich said in the interview.

You set 'em up, I'll knock 'em down.
roll.gif

as usual, the ignorance in this thread is amazing. kudos for that.

i'm SigEp. yea at times it can be a bit of a hassle, but all in all it's a hell of a time. i guarantee we throw bigger parties than most have everdreamed of.

paying for friends? nah. we pay dues so we can do things like take party buses to mexico for the weekend, put up plasmas in the common areas, get lmfao toperform during move in week, etc.

not to mention all of the networking i've gotten in. i pretty much have my job at nike set up for me after i graduate because of SigEp.

I'm not greek(yet) but most times when people talk down on the whole greek system they usually don't know about it other than things they have heardfrom other people or pledged for the wrong reasons. I feel that if you aren't truly greek(peopel who pledged for the wrong reasons aren't TRUE greeksIMO) you can't make a fair judgement on it.

Originally Posted by jumpmankb

I'm going to be a sophomore at Syracuse University and a lot of my friends (both guys and girls) pledged last spring semester (we aren't allowed to pledge fall semester as freshmen). I wanted to pledge but had a 2.4 gpa spring semester and needed to focus on getting my grades up so I didn't pledge (ended up with a 3.3 second semester so good choice).

3 out of my 5 best friends that I chill with daily are in the same frat (Sigma Chi) and 2 more of my good friends I chill with a lot are in that frat also. They told me I'd basically have an automatic bid if I rushed.

I've been telling myself I'm definitely pledging from last spring until about a week ago. When all my friends were pledging last year they were always busy and I missed hanging out with them. Even though I chilled with other people those were my dudes and it kinda sucked seeing how much fun they were having and I wasn't pledging. I'm afraid I might have this same problem this year if I don't pledge because both of my roommates are pledging.

I was also surprised at how I was not able to go to very many of their parties because they were closed and it was only members of their frat and the sorority the party was with that could go. There was some fun open parties I could obviously go to being friends with them but it was prolly only 2 or 3.

This is how I feel now...

I'm 50-50 about whether I'm gonna pledge or not next semester. To me it goes like this:

Pros: Parties, having a place to chill, meeting new people, I'd be pledging with one of my roommates. (damn, I thought I could think of more than that)
laugh.gif

Cons: Hazing, lack of sleep while pledging, not being able to go the gym while pledging because it takes up a lot time (this is pretty important to me), grades may suffer, INS because I'm busy pledging, I have a car and will be made to drive people everywhere because of this.

I really don't think it's worth it now because I'm living in an apartment and can have parties myself (not as big obviously). I also think I'll be able to go to more of their parties now since my friends are members and not pledges.

But, I don't feel like I need to join a frat to be cool and I like being unique and doing my own thing. But I also think it would be a lot fun to join. My friends that have all done it said it was a good experience and they don't regret it and made a lot of really good friends through it. I dunno...

What do you guys think? I'm 50-50 right now so I'm open to hear what you guys gotta say.
You will still have time to smash during pledging. You will definitely be busy, but if someone asks you to do something when you're trying toget it crackin' let them know what the deal is. Most people would be cool with that and if not that just means their salty and not smashing. If they stilltry and have you do something just don't do it (most people would realize the situation and give you props for hooking up).

A lot of people take pledging waaay to seriously to realize that in essence it's not that big of a deal (at least for IFC fraternities and in my experienceat UNC). You can still workout and do other things, but you just have to find a balance between pledging, school work, and other activites.

You being a rising junior might also be more tough. I personally wouldn't want to pledge as a junior, but at the same time, after pledging is overyou'll have 3 semesters of being a full brother. My advice to you is no matter what decision you make, don't look back five years later and askyourself "what if...?"

But what's the "right" reason to pledge Greek?

I mean, there're those who pledge for the connections and networking

some who pledge for the thought of belonging to something during their college years

and some who only want collegiate popularity.

So which is the true reason someone ought to pledge?

Many people hate on greeks and say all we do is party and drink and "pay for friends." I wish some of you could be in my shoes for a week. All thework we do on and off campus is always over looked. All you see is the parties and the fun, yet no one sees us having to wake up at 8AM to do community serviceat 9AM after a night of partying.

Back on the subject though,
Lambda Upsilon Lambda, frat inc.

I haven't pledge yet....but.....lets just say I have many fam members that are apart of this frat...and i've always like what they stood for...

Originally Posted by Younghell

Ωue Psi Phi
Mighty Sigma Eta Chapter
Home of the Fest
Massive 12th District
YungHound
1-5-08
Roo bruh! Didn't know there were too many other Ques on here.

Tulane Exequetive Chapter
Mighty 9th District
Beowulf
6 dawg/ Tail dawg

Originally Posted by iBlink

some who pledge for the thought of belonging to something during their college years

I joined the fraternity I did because I had friends from my high school and around my city that I knew in it and I had a good time during rush.The parties during rush were fun, but I also factored into my decision how it felt like a brotherhood and also how good of friends everyone was. Fast forwardthrough my college years, I ended up building my resume with positions held in the house and through networking and interacting with my fraternity brothersparents I landed a solid job three weeks after graduation in May.

I have no regrets about my decision and am very happy with where I am at now. The partying, girls, and functions we had were all gravy but something equally asimportant to that is the fact that I made several new life long friends and wound up getting a job from my networking.

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

I haven't pledge yet....but.....lets just say I have many fam members that are apart of this frat...and i've always like what they stood for...
Iota's Owwwwww
pimp.gif

THE BOW, THE BOW! I SAID THE SHIELD, THE SHIELD!!!!

Iota's Owwwwww
pimp.gif

lmao... AHAHAHA! AHAHAHA!

Iota's Owwwwww
pimp.gif

LMAO.....hell nah

Iota's Owwwwww
pimp.gif

roll.gif

Iotas have the worst luck. Ours finally became a Chapter last year, so they were having their first ever Greek Week and the night of their party the club had adamn grease Fire and the party was canceled.

Ques are throwing a party called the EjaQUElation party...

The flyer list that the "Elite Eight" get in free.

Iotas weren't listed on the flyer.

roll.gif

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Ques are throwing a party called the EjaQUElation party...

The flyer list that the "Elite Eight" get in free.

Iotas weren't listed on the flyer.

roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by iBlink

that was my reason. i already had an established group of friends at school who are all independents. we get alumns coming through all the timeand i have gotten their contact info. some of them hold pretty good positions and they know and can vouch for me if i ever try to get a job and need a goodword. the fraternity experience is pretty good overall but my motivation is connections and networking.

Back
Top Bottom