RIP George Floyd

I am glad that Rising exists and is something different from the usual MSNBC pablum. That said, I caution everyone, who might be seeing Saagar Enjeti for the first time, to be careful listening to him. His ultimate political goal is to draw parts of the left into a devil's bargain where we throw certain groups under the bus (black people, undocumented immigrants) in order to achieve social democracy that is dictated by the right. I know it may be tempting to consider such a deal because his proposals do not explicitly exclude black and brown people from social democracy and because the Democratic Party is effective--and proud of it--at denying us social democracy.

As far as "woke" branding is concerned, they are not fooling anyone. They are appealing to white liberals who benefit from capitalism and its inequities. Rainbow washing only gives white liberals the fig leaf they want to reach a conclusion that they already wanted to reach, that social democracy is a handout to unworthy workers who have failed to adapt to the knowledge economy. Obviously white liberals will cloak there classism by saying that concerns about capitalism are an off shot of "white male entitlement" but most workers of color know that white liberals hate them too.

Concentrated capital is powerful because it is concentrated and well organized and workers of the world need to keep on organizing, building trans racial solidarity and ignoring fascist leaning social democrats as well as rainbow washed liberal capitalists.

Really hoping this happens. And no I dont care that covid-19 might be the reason players dont want to play.

I was hoping this happens

I thought it was an interesting coincidence how the NBA announced it would resume the season on the same day all 4 officers were charged with Floyd's murder. Textbook bread and circuses.

I thought it was an interesting coincidence how the NBA announced it would resume the season on the same day all 4 officers were charged with Floyd's murder. Textbook bread and circuses.

I don't think there was any coordination between the NBA and some other power (The White House, big city mayors etc)

I know it is tautological but the disorganized working class is powerless because it is powerless and disorganized. IMO pro sports do not inhibit class consciousness or revolutionary praxis. One of my professors in undergrad was from Argentina and she said that "we had dictatorship and Maradona and if you take away Maradona, we'd have dictatorship and no Maradona."

Which is exactly why the NBA players boycotting is the best shot we have to make larger corporations uncomfortable. Not all of them have been doing so well during this time. With the lockdown and the eventual return of the shelter in place people are gonna have to be restricted again to fight covid-19. This might end some companies and your not gonna be able to print money to just bail someone out.

This is assuming there is a chance the public even considers listening to a government message.

What a time. Literally 100 years since prohibition and the eventual lead up to the Great Depression.

Having something to dream for is inspiring. 2020 the year of clarity people starting to take notice of what isn't ok and question it across the world.just hope we all get to see something done in our lifetime.

Wonder what the next tactic of the government is going to be. Seems like the next level of the hierarchy is going to have to step in and be more public. Will be interesting

I don't think there was any coordination between the NBA and some other power (The White House, big city mayors etc)

I know it is tautological but the disorganized working class is powerless because it is powerless and disorganized. IMO pro sports do not inhibit class consciousness or revolutionary praxis. One of my professors in undergrad was from Argentina and she said that "we had dictatorship and Maradona and if you take away Maradona, we'd have dictatorship and no Maradona."

Why don't you think there was any coordination? To your point about organization I'd just say all these poor folk have been looking real organized the last few weeks. Don't know if that happens with Argentinian LeBron in the finals right now. We're watching civil rights protests instead of championship parades.

Why don't you think there was any coordination? To your point about organization I'd just say all these poor folk have been looking real organized the last few weeks. Don't know if that happens with Argentinian LeBron in the finals right now. We're watching civil rights protests instead of championship parades.

First of all, nothing is impossible. Things we thought were conspiracy theories sometimes get proven true e.g. the CIA cocaine planes in the 80's or more recently, Jeffrey Epstein and his ring of elite pedophiles. So it may come out, years from now, that Donald Trump made a deal with Adam Silver where Trump thought that announcing the NBA's return would quell these negro uprisings. It's certainly an assessment I'd imagine Trump would make. That said, I think the reason for sustained urban riots coinciding with the suspension of the NBA season is more prosaic.

We have massive unemployment caused by COVID and a suspended NBA season caused by COVID. I think that most poor folks didn't need a cessation from basketball to know that the system is rigged, they needed a cessation from the relentless grind of labor to have the time to organize and act against that exploitation. There is reason why the ruling class doesn't want job security, doesn't want European levels of paid time off, wants high rents and wants student loan debt. They want you working every minute of your life and they want you in precarious position so you'll check out of politics due to intimidation over losing your livelihood, physical exhaustion or both. IMO, it's the unemployment freeing up exploited workers that has feed these sustained, coordinated and thus far very effective uprisings.

The problem with social science is that we cannot really run experiments like the physical sciences can. We will never really know what would have happened if the NBA regular season and playoffs happened along side COVID and it's economic fallout. This where journalism, right now, and history can, after the fact, pull together as much qualitative data as possible and see if NBA fans, who did join the demonstrations, would not have done so if the playoffs were on. Journalism and history may yet validate your theory.

The reason why I happen to be reticent about the idea that sports is a serious obstacle to revolution is because I've become reticent about the idea that consciousness or lack of consciousness shapes material reality. I see material conditions changing consciousness. When workers, especially workers of color, lose ground, the tendency is to check out and bury themselves in church and sports and other diversions. As soon as workers can claim victories, even slight victories, workers pull themselves away from church, sports and movies and change their consciousness and become "political" and hopefully that leads to more material victories which causes more marginalized people to decide that they are now "political" which begets more material victories. Hopefully, it ends an America ruled by a multiracial working class coalition and while people will have incorporated politics into their consciousness, we will not have discarded sports from our consciousness and we'll have a nationalized NBA to entertain us every night after our day that was split evenly between meaningful and well compensated labor and meaningful and fulfilling and family and community-centric leisure time.

12 is a new slang - I doubt any of these younger generation even heard of an Adam-12. Hell I’m 40 never heard of or seen that movie - let along it to be associated to the slang “12”.

A show/movie back in 1968. :lol:

I’ve always heard ‘Dem Boyz’, ‘5-0’ and in the lastest years, ‘12’.
Growing up in South East San Diego was always called them “Babylons” or “Babis” for short

:blush:
tenor.gif

also F**K TERRY CREWS.

NY needs to significantly cut the pensions of those retiring cops. you suddenly have 800 new police salaries to take on + pay the extremely burden some pensions of 800 grotesquely overpaid police officers. that **** would cripple most cities.

i usually rock with unions but **** the police unions. **** all them rat bastards, from the west coast to the east coast. nypd’s union president blamed eric garner’s murder on eric garner. said it was his fault for resisting arrest. the only person worse than the pig is the person protecting it.

i recently linked up with a homie who’s doing some police abolition work in california. Long story short, while the complete dismantling of the police state is the dream one of the immediate goals is to end qualified immunity for police officers who murder people. qualified immunity essentially protects negligent and/or racist police from litigation even if they kill someone who posed no threat (i.e everyone we mourn for). this law is wild. not sure if it’s just a california thing tho

Love Rogan, he's the inventor of the Sauna Heavy Breathing COVID-19 Cure.

**** him.

Back
Top Bottom