RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

I'm tryna figure out what this uniform New York sound is or was that ya'll are talking about.

Cali had the whole G-Funk thing

Texas had/has their Chopped N Screwed thing

What are characteristics of the NY sound. As far as production goes?

Last edited:
Most artists in Atlanta aren't waiting for a Jeezy. TIP cosign. Ns don't need it more or less.

So why should artist in New York wait for a Jay or Puff cosign, when you can do it yourself with use of the internet. They can't be a huge reason then.

No one is expecting a cosign from either of them at this point.

Wouldn't really matter now.

12 years ago maybe.

I just think the sound is dead. Aside from hip hop nerds I don't think anybody is tryna hear gritty NY raps. Ppl move on its a new generation captivated by different sounds. NY would probably have to evolve to come back to relevancy
There are elements of some pretty popular albums the last few years that are VERY NY.
Ex.
Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron
"Blind Threats"
"Break The Bank"

Nipsey Hussle - CRENSHAW
"All Get Right"
"Face The World"

The Game - Documentary 2
"Summertime"
"Like Father Like Son 2"
"Life"

Rick Ross - Mastermind
"Nobody"

Jay Rock - 90059
"90059"

Kendrick Lamar - GKMC
"Sing About Me/Dying Of Thurst"
"Black Boy Fly"

Drake - NWTS & IYRTITL
"Pound Cake/Paris Morton Music 2"
"6 PM In New York"

J Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive/Born Sinner
"Love Yours"
"Let Nas Down"
"New York Times"

All of these albums were well received by fans and critics alike. A few of them were the #1 album in the country, a few went platinum/gold, appeared on year end lists, so I don't think it's the sound people are tired of, it's just NY hasn't produced a talented enough artist to rap over beats like these and still be able to pull a BIG and use other regional influences to show diversity without completely mimicking.

You get those 15 beats on an album and put an NY rapper on there the majority of y'all are gonna immediately write it off. And as long as Kendrick. Drake. Cole. Remain the top 3 hip-hop artist we'll always have records with the elements of classic NY because that's the generation they're from, they'll pay homage because that's what they grew up on and more than likely inspired them to rap. My issue is what happens to the kids they'll inspire in the next 5 years. What are the chances THESE are the records they connect with and later emulate.

You see Fetty Wap. Gucci The is the reason he wanted to rap. Not to take anything away from Gucci but when I hear someone say that I just thi k they watched someone one like Gucci and just felt like it was Easy. Where as someone who started rapping because of Kool G Rap. Ice Cube or Scarface would more than Likely have a better understanding of what it means to actually be talented or gifted in the art of putting words together with a level of elegance.

Gucci should be the reason why you think you can make it. He shouldn't be the reason why you start rapping tho. Maybe the reason you don't quit.
How and or why is it Diddy or Jay's responsibility to discover/find the next upcoming rapper to bring the city back?? That sounds like that same old "handout" mentality that a lot of folks suffer from in our community. It's the job of the new and upcoming rappers to get themselves hot and to put the city back to the front. Diddy and Jay already did that prior, they have done their part.
View media item 1754788View media item 1754789
I don't feel like either would necessarily NOT work with someone if they were actually talented. If Cole was born and raised in Queens I don't think Jay would've passed on him. But Cole solidified his spot himself via hard work, something most NY rappers know nothing about.

As long as Troy Ave is the hardest worker in NY things will continue to go down hill.

Yea, you may not be fans of some of the guys, but Gucci Mane had a direct hand in so many of these dudes popping, most of which took that cosign and started building their own brand.

Meanwhile, 50 Cent, gaining all the resources he could have, held Banks and Yayo's hand while damaging relationships for years, with Banks and Yayo's allowing themselves to be coddled, and what do they have? Between the two, they have G-Unit Philly, which probably has no artists on there right now.

Last edited:
Banks and Yayo are LAZY.

New York is for hustlers but it's filled with LAZY Ns. For every 1 LEGIT go getter it's 10,000 LAZY Ns that rarely leave their home borough.

I'm not talking about Gucci's business sense or his scouting of pretty much 75% of what's popping out of ATL, I'm talking about his MUSIC inspiring someone to rap. Gucci was influenced by Master P, and his DNA is in some of Gucci's off spring, where as Drake. Kendrick. Cole. What are the chances of the east coast artists that inspired them havin there DNA in those they're inspiring now? And if that's not the case and with the 7-8 trend of NY spiraling down hill, how much longer will NYC be synonymous with hip-hop?

I'm tryna figure out what this uniform New York sound is or was that ya'll are talking about.

Cali had the whole G-Funk thing

Texas had/has their Chopped N Screwed thing

What are characteristics of the NY sound. As far as production goes?
NY had the boom bap sound

Gucci Mane has done more for rap than 50, Jay, or Diddy since he came out.

By bringing out wack rappers?

Puff gave a ton of dudes a shot. Many who actually had talent. After a while it's what you do with it, and you can't blame the label. You're a grown man.

Gucci Mane has done more for rap than 50, Jay, or Diddy since he came out.

LOL....bless your heart. If you TRULY feel that way no wonder NYC feels like they lost their spot. New York Hip-Hop will be in a better place when dudes from New York stop treasuring garbage.

LOL....bless your heart. If you TRULY feel that way no wonder NYC feels like they lost their spot. New York Hip-Hop will be in a better place when dudes from New York stop treasuring garbage.

Exactly :lol:

Dudes should be big upping quality, not just numbers.

NT will really go pages arguing about nothing
laugh.gif

What is this discussion even about anymore bruh?

50, Diddy, Jay-Z, are all huge reasons for NY's demise. None of these dudes could care at all about the culture of NYC rap music
I don't think I have ever agreed with anything you have ever said, but you're 100% right with this statement.

Last edited:
By bringing out wack rappers?

Puff gave a ton of dudes a shot. Many who actually had talent. After a while it's what you do with it, and you can't blame the label. You're a grown man.

Puff brought Ns into the game, stole from them, and then made it so they couldn't make music anymore. Let's be ******* for real :lol:

Y'all so quick to say "well Gucci put on wack rappers." That may be so, but guess what? That's why the south is still running **** 10-15 years later, because they put stock into their own and keep the movement going.

Last edited:
Puff brought Ns into the game, stole from them, and then made it so they couldn't make music anymore. Let's be ******* for real :lol:

Y'all so quick to say "well Gucci put on wack rappers." That may be so, but guess what? That's why the south is still running **** 10-15 years later, because they put stock into their own and keep the movement going.

Is the south running things with quality music? What's the movement?

The hottest dude in the game is from Toronto.

What did Puff do different than Lyor Cohen, Andre Harrell, LA Reid, Jimmy Iovine or any other record exec?

Who in the south in the past ten years has passed Jeezy or TI?

Last edited:

What did Puff do different than Lyor Cohen, Andre Harrell, LA Reid, Jimmy Iovine or any other record exec?

Are we speaking about those guys? Nah. Nobody said he did anything differently, but you're making it seem like Puff is some huge contributor to Hip Hop when Bad Boy has had a horrible reputation since Big died, so let's stop.

Quality music? That's up to opinion, but they stay true to their sound and their region. That's the "movement" I'm speaking about.

Passed Jeezy and T.I. in terms of what? Because right now there's a bunch of artists in the south who've been hotter than those guys for years.

Notice I didn't say better, or has had more success.

Last edited:

Exactly :lol:

Dudes should be big upping quality, not just numbers.

Y'all are missing the point. It don't matter whether you think their wack or not. The fact is in the south we a passing of the torch. Gucci has given dudes down there the blueprint to building a buzz and fan base and it's been working for years now. From rappers to producers.

Y'all are missing the point. It don't matter whether you think their wack or not. The fact is in the south we a passing of the torch. Gucci has given dudes down there the blueprint to building a buzz and fan base and it's been working for years now. From rappers to producers.

No, it does matter if you're wack or not.

Because there is only good or bad music.

The problem is ya'll reduce this **** to regions. Do you care where a R&B singer is from?

The hottest dude in the game is from Toronto.

Who in the south in the past ten years has passed Jeezy or TI?

The only other dude to go Platinum this year (Cole) is proudly from the south (Bun B for president). The Carter is cole's favorite hip hop album. His introduction to hip gop was thru master P.

The hottest artist as you said (Drake) is signed to the one of the biggest southern labels of all time (Cash Money). Not only that, the influence in his music is from Houston (Z-Ro, Bun B). The consigns Drake got are from southern legends (Wayne, Bun B, J Prince)

The 3rd biggest artist of this year (Future) is from Atlanta, and got put on with the help of Gucci. The biggest artist in the game just did a collabo mixtape with him just to eat off of his buzz.

French Montana, Nicki Minaj had to go down south to team up with Mizay Ent (Waka's mother's label) to get poppin. Then. Lined up with Gucci..then Wayne.

YG is signed to CTE (Jeezy's label). His first hit record featured Rich Homie. Then his 2nd big record featured yo Gotti. If you are an east coast artist, you gotta go south. Some west coast artist do too.

South run this ****

Y'all overblowing Gucci thing.

Gucci will work with an NT'er for the right price. It's not like dude is picking guys and annointing them with his blessing or some ****.

Son did a while tape with a nobody from my hood named Tom Savage. I know damn well it's not because Gucci wanted to "put him on". Dude paid for it. Even flew him out to do a video.

Last edited:
Y'all overblowing Gucci thing.

Gucci will work with an NT'er for the right price. It's not like dude is picking guys and annointing them with his blessing or some ****.

Son did a while tape with a nobody from my hood named Tom Savage. I know damn well it's not because Gucci wanted to "put him on". Dude paid for it. Even flew him out to do a video.

Yeah no. We're not really over blowing it. Before thug blew up...Gucci used to put him on almost every song on his mixtape. It was annoying at first, but overtime...you'd see the talent. Gucci did a whole mixtape with Future before he blew up. Why you think these dudes still out here screaming his name and paying homage.

Gucci is the trap-father. His sons even got sons now.

The only other dude to go Platinum this year (Cole) is proudly from the south (Bun B for president). The Carter is cole's favorite hip hop album. His introduction to hip gop was thru master P.

The hottest artist as you said (Drake) is signed to the one of the biggest southern labels of all time (Cash Money). Not only that, the influence in his music is from Houston (Z-Ro, Bun B). The consigns Drake got are from southern legends (Wayne, Bun B, J Prince)

The 3rd biggest artist of this year (Future) is from Atlanta, and got put on with the help of Gucci. The biggest artist in the game just did a collabo mixtape with him just to eat off of his buzz.

French Montana, Nicki Minaj had to go down south to team up with Mizay Ent (Waka's mother's label) to get poppin. Then. Lined up with Gucci..then Wayne.

YG is signed to CTE (Jeezy's label). His first hit record featured Rich Homie. Then his 2nd big record featured yo Gotti. If you are an east coast artist, you gotta go south. Some west coast artist do too.

South run this ****

J Cole went to New York to go to college and get signed. J Cole doesn't have a down south sound or style.

Drake could have signed with anyone, and picked someone where he wasn't going to get paid properly. His influence isn't from Houston, it's from any song or style that is hot. These 16 year old girls don't care about a Bun B cosign.

Waka's mom, Ms Deb is from New York. Her brothers are Bimmy(Supreme Team) and Corey Rooney(former NY record exec). So they didn't go down south, because she is from New York.

Last edited:
Yeah no. We're not really over blowing it. Before thug blew up...Gucci used to put him on almost every song on his mixtape. It was annoying at first, but overtime...you'd see the talent. Gucci did a whole mixtape with Future before he blew up. Why you think these dudes still out here screaming his name and paying homage.

Gucci is the trap-father. His sons even got sons now.

That wasn't in dispute.

Gucci came up in this thread because dudes criticized Jay for not putting dudes in NY on....and I'm saying Gucci didn't put all these dudes on. Working with someone who's already building a buzz isn't putting someone on.

Gucci can take credit for the artists that he put out under his movement...but people like future? Nah

J Cole went to New York to go to college and get signed. J Cole doesn't have a down south sound or style.

Drake could have signed with anyone, and picked someone where he wasn't going to get paid properly. His influence isn't from Houston, it's from any song or style that is hot. These 16 year old girls don't care about a Bun B cosign.

Waka's mom, Ms Deb is from New York. Her brothers are Bimmy(Supreme Team) and Corey Rooney(former NY record exec). So they didn't go down south, because she is from New York.

Here goes that infamous everything revolves around NY schtick.

LOL Deb & that family been in riverdale since waka was a jit. They went south. You dudes are too much :lol:

Drake linked up with Wayne in 2009. This was right after Carter 3. One of the fastest selling hip hop album of all time, and Wayne was by far the biggest artist in the game then. Wayne introduced Drake as his protege. You think Drake, (who NOBODY wanted to touch at the time....and even Wayne passed up on) would have blown up with any other artist? Nah. Wayne giving him that stamp helped him tremendously.

Those 16 year old white girls cared about a Wayne consign in 2009.

Drakes first mixtape to blow was all Houston screwed influenced. Nov 18th, HoustonAtlantaVegas, etc etc.

And while Deb Atney is from NY, Mizay was a southern label. Based in ATL. Headed by Gucci, OJ, Waka etc.

Last edited:
Most of those current southern rappers you listed are garbage. Wouldn't be proud of them running rap and ruining it.

Cole has been on NY's **** for years.

Drake's style that got him signed was straight up biting Trey Songz. Son's music sounded just like those Trey mixtapes. Then they moved him down to Houston to give him a makeover.

Back
Top Bottom