RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

Most of those current southern rappers you listed are garbage. Wouldn't be proud of them running rap and ruining it.

Cole has been on NY's **** for years.

Drake's style that got him signed was straight up biting Trey Songz. Son's music sounded just like those Trey mixtapes. Then they moved him down to Houston to give him a makeover.

Trey songz is from the south. Either way you write it, the biggest Rapper in the game...is on a southern label, and calls Houston&Memphis his 2nd home.

The thing that's so ill about the south is there are so many different sounds. Cole could've easily been influenced by Lil Brother and Nas...and a plethora of other artist from ever region.

But to NY dudes, he's on NY's **** cuz he viewed NY as the place to go to get signed. Which is true, when he went to college in 2002....when NY was still popping. If Cole went to college in 2008...he might've gone to Georgia State :pimp:

Last edited:
Y'all are missing the point. It don't matter whether you think their wack or not. The fact is in the south we a passing of the torch. Gucci has given dudes down there the blueprint to building a buzz and fan base and it's been working for years now. From rappers to producers.

No, it does matter if you're wack or not.

Because there is only good or bad music.

The problem is ya'll reduce this **** to regions. Do you care where a R&B singer is from?

Has it ever mattered where an R&B singer was from :lol:?

Nobody outside of NY thinks that, and the majority of the people I talk to both professionally and in the hood have more or less given up on NY.
Why should we give a **** what they think or do?

It's not like we have before. I say this from a fan's perspective.

I'm sure the artists want the whole nation to love their music.

Why should we give a **** what they think or do?

It's not like we have before. I say this from a fan's perspective.

I'm sure the artists want the whole nation to love their music.
Well if we have no interest in the streets what do we have?
Gucci Buzz from the street.
Future.
Migos.
Chainz.
The majority of the guys coming from the south generated their interest in the street than the labels followed suit. Same with most of the west.

NY won't have that affect because the people have lost faith. Where would an NY artist even begin from? The blogs got ASAP to where he is. I was living in Harlem for years before he got his deal and a lil after, most people in uptown Harlem had no clue who the guy was.

Most of those current southern rappers you listed are garbage. Wouldn't be proud of them running rap and ruining it.

Drake's style that got him signed was straight up biting Trey Songz. Son's music sounded just like those Trey mixtapes. Then they moved him down to Houston to give him a makeover.

Exactly. I don't like this game dude is playing. If u want to keep going back in a timeline to give a certain region credit none of these dudes became megastars until they started blood sucking a artist(s) from NYC and took their style. The two biggest legends from the south from my generation is ccriminally guilty of this. (Wayne and T.I) they were allowed to change they styles to orthodox and florush but when we go "southpaw" were called **** riders. It's crazy

When did TI jack NY's style?

Low key the death blow to NY as far as having a hot guy going into the new decade fell off when Can't Feel My Face never happened and subsequently Juelz fell back.

When he started proclaiming himself the "Jay-Z of the south" and adopted a multi syllable rap style alah jay and other East Coast artist. Tip will tell u that **** himself... plays "bring em out"

Last edited:

Exactly. I don't like this game dude is playing. If u want to keep going back in a timeline to give a certain region credit none of these dudes became megastars until they started blood sucking a artist(s) from NYC and took their style. The two biggest legends from the south from my generation is ccriminally guilty of this. (Wayne and T.I) they were allowed to change they styles to orthodox and flourish but when we go "southpaw" were called **** riders. It's crazy

It has to be organic and not forced. 50 Cent in a little while is about to hop on some Zaytoven, Sonny Digital and London beats. That just screams pure desperation :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Ya'll Yankees gotta chill :lol: :lol:

T.I. ain't jack NOTHING

Multi-syllabic rhyming? So, you're pretty much saying, us southerners have poor grammar, linguistics, and etiquette? Get out of here. Every southerner is not illiterate. We articulate pretty well.

Stop with that nonsense.

Ya'll Yankees gotta chill :lol: :lol:

T.I. ain't jack NOTHING

Multi-syllabic rhyming? So, you're pretty much saying, us southerners have poor grammar, linguistics, and etiquette? Get out of here. Every southerner is not illiterate. We articulate pretty well.

Stop with that nonsense.

Right. As if dungeon family didn't exist

Hip hop in general stinks if u want to blame NY for it I'll take it beloved :smokin

Nah I agree with you on Tip riding that New York wave with Bring em out etc, they tried to do the same thing with Gucci when they had him going over Swizz tracks but it was a different period at that point...I don't think it MADE Ti though, he would have been who he was without it.

If you really think about it, NY has not produced any "new" artists, since the 90s/early 2000s. 50 been here since the late 90s, Fab, since late 90s/early 2000s. Cam, The Lox, Jay, Nas, all 90s cats. ASAP crew (I'm a big fan of them), French, could be considered post-2010? I really don't know where to put Stack, Maino, Max B, Papoose, Saigon, Mims :smile:lol)

I like Joey, and Pro Era but, seems ya'll ignore them. I like that kid, Dillon Cooper. Troy Ave to me is just "there" to me Meaning, I wouldn't miss him, if he stopped recording. That's no disrespect to his music though.

I like Fred the Godson but, in this shallow world, NY'ers probably don't like his image... but support Bobby Schmugly. Fred The Godson could've been NY's version of Rick Ross or, a modern "Buffy" from the Fat Boys.

Red Cafe... :lol: :lol: permanent shelf life. No expiration date :rofl:

Last edited:
Bring em out ain't what made tip hot. Dipset ain't what made Wayne hot. Gucci time ain't what made Wop hot.

Back then, there was this perception that you needed NY validation in order to hit mainstream. As time went on, that became less apparent.

Like I said earlier. Cole went to NY for school in '03...partly because he wanted to get signed. If he'd went to school in '08...he would've gone to Georiga State or Georgia Tech.

Nah I agree with you on Tip riding that New York wave with Bring em out etc, they tried to do the same thing with Gucci when they had him going over Swizz tracks but it was a different period at that point...I don't think it MADE Ti though, he would have been who he was without it.

Yea he would've dude is a legend. My point is they both went through metamorphosis in their careers and (wayne being the way bigger offender) started to **** with that up north **** way more than they did before mega stardom. Up north artist get killed for doing the same

Last edited:
Bring em out ain't what made tip hot. Dipset ain't what made Wayne hot. Gucci time ain't what made Wop hot.

Back then, there was this perception that you needed NY validation in order to hit mainstream. As time went on, that became less apparent.

Like I said earlier. Cole went to NY for school in '03...partly because he wanted to get signed. If he'd went to school in '08...he would've gone to Georiga State or Georgia Tech.

Yup. NY's only perk was being the financial and media capital of America. So, all the recording studios and labels where located there. Dudes ain't want to mimic NY, they were trying to get deals and $$$$$$

NY just had the resources, no one needed their co-sign. As far as the actual music and talent was concerned.

Last edited:

Son your from the East Coast ? Why u **** ride the south so much ? Ol new millennium *** boy :smh: even the 7th mile the 7th mile a dude from the D understands what I'm saying :lol:

Yea he would've dude is a legend. My point is they both went through metamorphosis in their careers and (wayne being the way bigger offender) started to **** with that up north **** way more than they did before mega stardom. Up north artist get killed for doing the same

Up North artist get killed for it, because they've always tried to ridicule the South. The irony

If you really think about it, NY has not produced any "new" artists, since the 90s/early 2000s. 50 been here since the late 90s, Fab, since late 90s/early 2000s. Cam, The Lox, Jay, Nas, all 90s cats. ASAP crew (I'm a big fan of them), French, could be considered post-2010? I really don't know where to put Stack, Maino, Max B, Papoose, Saigon, Mims :smile:lol)

I like Joey, and Pro Era but, seems ya'll ignore them. I like that kid, Dillon Cooper. Troy Ave to me is just "there" to me Meaning, I wouldn't miss him, if he stopped recording. That's no disrespect to his music though.

I like Fred the Godson but, in this shallow world, NY'ers probably don't like his image... but support Bobby Schmugly. Fred The Godson could've been NY's version of Rick Ross or, a modern "Buffy" from the Fat Boys.

Red Cafe... :lol: :lol: permanent shelf life. No expiration date :rofl:

All that **** your saying is real. Not gonna argue with you at all

Up North artist get killed for it, because they've always tried to ridicule the South. The irony

So we can't win then correct ? That's why I say **** hip hop y'all can have this bubblegum ****. I'll just listen to my gutter NYC hood **** and call it a day until the real ****** rise again u heard

Back
Top Bottom