RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

Troy Ave has people talking for something not related to music. Desiigner has a #1 hit that is a Photoshopped version of a Future record.

A "savior" would have to be commercially popular. And being commercially popular these days does not revolve around the type of rap on TINC, Soul Tape, etc. You'd have a point if it were 2006.

If Fab were young and a new artist and came out w/ TINC right now...nobody outside the tri state area would care and that's what NYC would need to be seen as a talent hotbed again. If it don't leave NYC, it can't be an NYC savior.

I don't agree with that cuz If NY rides hard for somebody that **** is gonna spread. That mainstream love comes and goes quick. All those Soul Tapes have a NY sound and he's spitting. If those came from a young Brooklyn rapper he would be looked at as NY's savior, just my opinion.

When has New York not gone hard for one of their artists?  

I live in New York and I've seen ****** that will lay on a sword to defend dudes like Fred the Godson, Manolo Rose, Troy Ave, or any of them other B-Team ******.

New York doesn't control the pulse of hip hop anymore. I don't know how you think someone that wouldn't appeal outside of the tri state era would be considered a savior. 

That "new york sound" ****** keep talking about is DEAD. The young ****** here don't want to hear that **** anymore and young ****** have ALWAYS been the main curator of what's next. It's a young man's game. Nobody wants a rehash of what's been done already, people here are looking for something NEW. Something that has the potential to set the precedent for hip-hop across the world moving forward like how trap did in the mid 00s. Not a refresh of mixtape punchline raps.

Panda popped in NY first...but why do you think it popped everywhere else? Because the song is on the same frequency that the young ****** across the world are on right now.

Last edited:
Just watched "Keep your head up" and "Juicy" videos and almost shed a tear. What is this thing we call rap now son ? :smh:

We just disagree bruh. None of those _'s you named made anthing close to TINC 2 or the Soul Tapes. If they champion dudes who are trash then they definitely would get behind somebody that was dropping great tapes with ability to make hits. On top of that you don't need radio hits and all that **** to be known outside of your area. It's plenty of rappers that are not all over the radio, that don't follow whats poppin that have good/great fan bases.

No area controls hip hop anymore. Internet changed that **** but NY still matters. That's why people always have these discussions. If Designer wasn't from NY he would probably be a riding the bench at QC or FBG.

Last edited:
Fab's problem is he came out when albums meant alot and his mixtapes are waaaaaaayyyy better than his albums. If Fab's career started with TINC he would be looked at as NY's savior. Since 09 he's dropped some great tapes. TINC, The Soul Tapes. He gets overlooked cuz his albums early on were disappointments and people stopped caring.

This. Real Talk was good though.

Loso made breathe man, Magnum Opus

umm real talk was doo doo....fab's first complete retail body of work after his debut & part 2 more street dreams was from nothing to something.

umm real talk was doo doo....fab's first complete retail body of work after his debut & part 2 more street dreams was from nothing to something.

Opinions....

I liked real talk. Obviously, Fab's tapes >>>>> his albums I liked more street dreams. Rip Mike Shorey.

Still think Paul Cain's renegade verse is UP there. Still remember it word for word :pimp:

^^^^^Y'all taking me back mane....used to pump this hard in my CD player in 03. Loso really the underrated/overrated ***** :lol:. Never really realized how much of a fan of dude I am. I have all his sht up to like 08. Stopped messing with him after that.

And Real Talk definitely was cool. It just had a few corny singles...but other that...it was good. I'm not for the slander of that album.

In my hood
Breathe
Do the damn thing (first intro to Jeezy, and the uncut video :pimp:)
Don't Stop won't stop
BABY
Can you hear me
Keeping it Gangsta
Real Talk

I used to think Paul Cain & Fred Money (JR Writer lil bro) had next :rofl:. You couldn't tell me different. 03 was a great year for NY/East coast mixtapes.

More Street dreams
State Property chain gang
Diplomatic immunity
Dblock tape
Beg for mercy

All came out around the same time. What a time. NY, y'all gotta do better :smh:

When has New York not gone hard for one of their artists?  

I live in New York and I've seen ****** that will lay on a sword to defend dudes like Fred the Godson, Manolo Rose, Troy Ave, or any of them other B-Team ******.

New York doesn't control the pulse of hip hop anymore. I don't know how you think someone that wouldn't appeal outside of the tri state era would be considered a savior. 

That "new york sound" ****** keep talking about is DEAD. The young ****** here don't want to hear that **** anymore and young ****** have ALWAYS been the main curator of what's next. It's a young man's game. Nobody wants a rehash of what's been done already, people here are looking for something NEW. Something that has the potential to set the precedent for hip-hop across the world moving forward like how trap did in the mid 00s. Not a refresh of mixtape punchline raps.

Panda popped in NY first...but why do you think it popped everywhere else? Because the song is on the same frequency that the young ****** across the world are on right now.
NY sound ain't dead, it's just not mainstream. there's a plethora of artists out there.
keep listening to your kids bop

Last edited:
I don't agree at all with Fresh Prince referring to that sound as "crusty *** drum breaks", but Magic your post sounds like it came from a 57 year old shaking his head at people using ipods :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, because music that fits your level of intelligence fits better, mumbling, incoherence and beats that all sound the same.

Just like people read books that fit their level of intelligence and interest.

So keep championing your Dr Seuss rap.

angry-old-man.jpg

Go home and be a family man.

NY sound ain't dead, it's just not mainstream. there's a plethora of artists out there.

keep listening to your kids bop

Man it's 2016 nobody wanna hear them crusty *** 1970's drum breaks.

What does it being 2016 mean? :lol:

Classic **** is classic ****.

I don't agree at all with Fresh Prince referring to that sound as "crusty *** drum breaks", but Magic your post sounds like it came from a 57 year old shaking his head at people using ipods :lol: :lol:

This. Meek Meals sounds like a 18 year old that champions Lil Yachty and Magic sounds like a 50 year old that bumps "hip, hop the hippie to the...".

Both are extreme.

Last edited:
I mean you can still be innovative or modern and lyrical.

Chance just put out a great project, so far the best of the year.

Kendrick was still nice last time we heard him.

Vic Mensa is also nice.

Anderson Paak also goes in and has his own sound.

Kodak is a street story teller and a prodigy to only be 18/19.

Plenty of dudes out there who can be lyrical and not sound like they just got out of prison after 23 years with them dry *** If Eric B. Don't Trust You I'mma Shoot You *** drum breaks.

Everyone out here ain't Yachty, although I do **** with Yachty.

Vic Mensa is also nice.

Plenty of dudes out there who can be lyrical and not sound like they just got out of prison after 23 years with them dry *** If Eric B. Don't Trust You I'mma Shoot You *** drum breaks.

chance tape was wack, sound like somethin you only listen to on a Sunday. yachty is also wack wit all that auto tune, he needs to rap more.

Vic Mensa is also nice.

You sound just as close minded as old heads that hate the new _'s when you say "crusty *** drum breaks". A LOT of **** that came out in the 90's sound great today. Some of it sounds cleaner than the new **** thats out now.

Flesh pits is just a everything NYC hater. No talking to that gump

Can't take anybody serious who listens to Lil yachty but talks **** about anyone else

Flesh pits is just a everything NYC hater. No talking to that gump

Can't take anybody serious who listens to Lil yachty but talks **** about anyone else

I rock with some stuff from NYC.

The old dusty mccrusty *** ****** NYC is filled with keeps dope **** like this from flourishing.

I hope someone scuffs your Timbs today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom