RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

I spoke on this in the RIP Yams thread back then but this is essentially what happened, according to Yams at least. 

There's a unreleased interview Yams did, I think with Montreality, were he was kinda ****** up and being candid. Interview was out for a few hours and then Yams had them take it down but they re-released when he died (I think they ended up taking it down for good because everybody pressed them about putting it back out against his wishes). 

Basically Yams said he didn't know Rocky but they had a mutual friend in Bari. Rocky was going to college in Alabama and would constantly be hitting him up telling him he tryna work etc when he got back to NYC.

In a round about way he said these dudes didn't really know **** about Memphis/Houston music like that but he pretty much told them that the Memphis/Houston underground **** was the next wave and if he wanted to work he needed to ditch his current sound and he was gonna help curate a new one. He literally said he gave him a laundry list of Memphis/Houston classics to listen to and study while he worked with him on different schemes, flows, etc. I'm willing to bet this played a part in why he wanted it taken down, Rocky had already been in interviews telling people he grew up on UGK, 3-6, etc on some "I can't help but sound like this" type **** :lol:  

damn i wanna see that interview now...

that asap wave Always felt forced... nothing organic about manufacturing a faux flow to appeal to a demographic.

Not surprised by that Yams info. There was an artist I saw live years ago, who was an opening act for Slick Rick. Dude was from Baltimore. I don't recall his name exactly. Anyway, I recorded some of his set and put it on youtube. This dude used to rap like a Golden Age rapper and he even redid some classic tracks like "Paid In Full". A couple of years later, I get a PM from his manager through youtube. He was thanking me for putting those videos up online but that he wanted me to take them down because his artist was moving in a new direction. He even sent me a link to a new song and it was some really ****** Trap sounding nonsense. CB4 really laid it out- rappers will try different gimmicks until one catches on.

:lol: damn.

I wonder who it is.

straight wrestling gimmicks... start off as

latest

but pop off with

d3749ba550godfather.jpg

I see where the issue with Rocky is if he was perpetrating like he was some hardcore UGK/3 6 fan. No need to lie.

But rappers who get praised for coming in the game with a unique sound or wave usually have tried on many different ones before that.

Hence Drake sounding like Budden-Hov lite with a little Phonte on Room For Improvement and Comeback Season before he met 40, went to Houston and got his vocals up and found the sound on So Far Gone.

Or all of Wayne's phases. (Hot Boy, to a Southern Dipset member, to "alien" 
laugh.gif
, to rockstar, to skateboarder now).

Or Hawaiian Sophie Hov.

Or

@2:16 

Rap is very much like wrestling/CB4 where you have to "try on" different sounds/aesthetics/"gimmicks" before you get on so you have a unique lane to move in. Although some are born for this and can just be themselves and be captivating.

roll.gif
 @ all the Godfather phases though.

Last edited:
If i'm not mistaken didn't Rocky move to the south prior to him coming up? is it not believable that he picked up on more influence from actually being down there?

Not to mention that he/A$AP crew has collabed with a lot of the OG's in that sound and involve themselves heavily in that culture now, so whether or not he grew up on it. i don't think their faking the funk now, these dudes seem to be really into that culture to this day. they have just expanded their sound even further.

If i'm not mistaken didn't Rocky move to the south prior to him coming up? is it not believable that he picked up on more influence from actually being down there?

No...it isn't. We have actual quotes from Yams in this thread explaining where the "influence" came from. 

Not to mention that he/A$AP crew has collabed with a lot of the OG's in that sound and involve themselves heavily in that culture now, so whether or not he grew up on it. i don't think their faking the funk now, these dudes seem to be really into that culture to this day. they have just expanded their sound even further.

No...it isn't. We have actual quotes from Yams in this thread explaining where the "influence" came from. 

Pretty much. It came straight from the sources mouth. No need to front cuz he from your city and speculate.

It was a smart move, and the music was dope.

Pretty much. It came straight from the sources mouth. No need to front cuz he from your city and speculate.

It was a smart move, and the music was dope.

Love how dudes are talking about it came straight from the sources mouth, yet you are getting this paraphrased from someone who is talking about an interview that wasn't posted. I remember the Interview he's talking about tho & Yams was speaking on how he structured the image. Ya'll dudes acting like he never listened or ****** with the south at all. Yams constructed the package of ASAP but that doesn't mean that he Gave them everything. This is the same as any artist sitting down and forming their sound & actually being students.

Yet again another attempt from people to discredit any NYC artist :lol:.

If you actually read thru the thread you would see on the previous page I posted a quote from Yams "unreleased" Passion Weiss interview in 2012 (he released it after Yams death).

He literally said Rocky sounded like Cudi mixed with Wayne and was making "stoner" music before he told him he didn't wanna hear that **** and to start listening to Houston music because that was the "wave" :lol:

Last edited:
If you actually read thru the thread you would see on the previous page I posted a quote from Yams "unreleased" Passion Weiss interview in 2012.

He literally said Rocky sounded like Cudi mixed with Wayne and was making "stoner" music before he told him he didn't wanna hear that **** and to start listening to Houston music because that was the "wave"
laugh.gif
How did your influence helped shape Rocky’s sound?

When I first met him, he sounded like Kid Cudi mixed with Lil Wayne. If I was a rapper, I’d be the illest ************ alive, swagging like a ************. So I took all my inspirations that I wanted to see in a rapper and molded it into Rocky. All that **** was premeditated. A year ago [2011], before all that **** happened, I was like Rocky, ‘you gotta listen to that Houston ****, this is the wave.’ He started listening to it and started naturally getting influenced by that ****.

He used to sound more like a stoner rapper and I was like not trying to hear that **** — not trying to hear about ************* getting high and smoking doobies. I was trying to hear some trill **** and you can see the influence.

If you watch the “Get High” video, you can see the Kid Cudi influence. What I did was mold the new influences and market him on some brand new ****. I tell everyone before they make it: find your swag and your sound.

Once we had that down pat, it was a matter of trial and error for two years, until we felt comfortable putting some **** out. The way people approach the Internet, they tweet their music and spam you. That’s not the way to do it. You’ve got to package your product confidently.
http://www.passionweiss.com/2015/01/19/asap-yams-interview-rip-aap-yams/

laugh.gif
 @ "constructed the package" 

If you actually read thru the thread you would see on the previous page I posted a quote from Yams "unreleased" Passion Weiss interview in 2012 (he released it after Yams death).

He literally said Rocky sounded like Cudi mixed with Wayne and was making "stoner" music before he told him he didn't wanna hear that **** and to start listening to Houston music because that was the "wave" :lol:

I would've never listened to him if he came out sounding like that :lol: :lol:

I would've never listened to him if he came out sounding like that
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
This is what he was talking about, before the SGP/Houston/Memphis/Underground/Tumblr inspired makeover courtesy of Yams

A lot can change in 6 months.

_ literally came back dressed in all black, with lean cups, and a grill talking about trill ****. They even stole the "Raider Klan hieroglyphs" and started typing using V's for A's etc. 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

This is what he was talking about, before the SGP/Houston/Memphis/Underground/Tumblr inspired makeover courtesy of Yams

_ literally came back dressed in all black, with lean cups, and a grill talking about trill ****. They even stole the "Raider Klan hieroglyphs" and started typing using V's for A's etc. 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

Damn this is so buns.

Puffy used to do the same **** though. He was heavy in making Jodeci stick to that bad boy (no pun) image that made them stand out with the hoodies and boots and chains instead of the suits and turtlenecks and **** that Guy and Boyz 2 Men were wearing.

Yams could have gave so many more artists direction. He was about to become an A&R or some **** at Sony.

_ literally came back dressed in all black, with lean cups, and a grill talking about trill ****. They even stole the "Raider Klan hieroglyphs" and started typing using V's for A's etc. :lol: :smh:

Rocky probably hates this video more than anything else in the world

[thread="636947"]Quote:[/thread]

_ literally came back dressed in all black, with lean cups, and a grill talking about trill ****. They even stole the "Raider Klan hieroglyphs" and started typing using V's for A's etc. :lol: :smh:

william-regal.gif

[thread="636947"]Quote:[/thread]

2jN-A8.gif

Back
Top Bottom