RUN with US on INSTAGRAM #NTrunning (NikeTalkRunning)

Thanks! I didn’t intend for this to be my longest run yet, but that’s how trail races can be (especially inaugural races from a new race director) - a bit unpredictable and full of problem-solving. But considering those factors going into it, you should have a good attitude and lots of patience. The nikeplus app gave me a couple extra miles though - this run was about 33.6, which was still long because of some bad trail markers, causing a mile on the wrong trail and a mile back to find my way.
I really haven’t trained like I have in the past for something like this, and probably nothing like what one is supposed to.
My main race is next month - The North Face 50-mile North of SF. This was prompted by my life-long friend first wanting to do a marathon for our 30th birthday 11 years ago, also in SF. That was my first race. Then 10 years later he suggested an ultra, but it was smoked out last year. So here we are trying for it again.
Last year I put in a couple big 200+ mile months and probably got a bit burned out. These training schedules normally call for lots of double long runs on the weekends to get you used to running on tired legs. This year I found a plan on runners world that isn’t quite as strenuous. I haven’t broken 150 in a month though I think I’m off to a good start this time. But I’ve taken more opportunities to get on trails and have tried to get more rest instead of putting in long miles early in the mornings. Seems to work for me this time. But there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.
Tons more I could say, but rather here’s a summary of why I’ve taken a liking to ultras:
1. I can go slower - trying to push myself in a fast marathon destroys my body and takes a couple weeks to recover. Gotta relax in ultras or you won’t make it at all.
2. Aid stations - they don’t just have Gatorade and water. Try watermelon, bananas, other fruit, but also chips, goldfish crackers, gummy bears, cookies (even a homemade snickerdoodle yesterday). Seriously. And coke too! In the late miles I’ll have a very small cup of it and it works magic. Or even better, try a pickle or pickle juice - especially if you’re cramping. It will be fixed almost instantly.
3. Adventure - I’ve already seen places I would never see otherwise. And it gives me a great excuse to go explore on the weekends. But be safe and wise.
4. Community - runners are generally a good bunch, but try the Trail community and you will find even more awesome people. Shirt-off-their-back kind of people. Love it.
Anyway, kind of a novel here, and I could still go on, but in short, trails and long mileage is awesome, and it really doesn’t take much to do it. Just slow down and smell the flowers. Literally.

Anyone do more HR specific training? Not a big fan of wearing a chest strap but I’ll use my Apple Watch during runs.
Easy pace runs seem harder when I’m slowing down to keep my HR down.

Usual runs go about 165-175bpm depending how I’m pushing it.

Guys, my goal is to run a marathon, I have never done any sort of running.

any specific techniques you guys use to train?
going to startb Jogging as my first step

I ran a marathon once and will prob do it again.
When is the marathon?
There’s a lot of good marathon training schedules online, I’ll have to go thru my archives and see if I can find the one I used

I ran a marathon once and will prob do it again.
When is the marathon?
There’s a lot of good marathon training schedules online, I’ll have to go thru my archives and see if I can find the one I used
Goal Is the LA marathon but I heard you have to train at least a year for that, but will do my best to prepare.

Screenshot_20191122-222549_Chrome.jpg

Goal of getting a 5k under 20mins.
Recent PR of a 5k was roughly 22 mins.

Any training guides etc that one would recommend? Idk if I should be running 80% of my miles at a pace 90-120 slower like I would be for longer distances.

Add More Fartleks!!
Agreed. I’m no expert but fartleks keep things interesting and if you throw one or two sessions in each week consistently that should do some good things. No matter the distance you’re training for though, keep the easy days EASY.

Agreed. I’m no expert but fartleks keep things interesting and if you throw one or two sessions in each week consistently that should do some good things. No matter the distance you’re training for though, keep the easy days EASY.

tbh the hardest part for me is keeping the easy runs easy.

running 9-10 Paces seem backwards lol but maybe that’s why I haven’t been progressing as much. I keep up with the speed runs and intervals though.

i was gon start tagging #ntrc (nt run club)

where do you find the total miles ran in the year?

Back
Top Bottom