Rush limbaugh trying to buy the rams

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

if the owners and the league approve him part of the sale
smh.gif

I will no longer support the Rams if this were to happen.
[singletary]cant do it [/singletary]

this

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by DubA169

dmbrhs wrote:
But I guess I'm on a board that believes the world is going to end in a little over three years so why use arguing with idiots?

thats "your side" buddy. Obama is the anti-christ and liberals are taking away the morals of society. world's ending, JESUS WILL RIIIIISE.
The 2012 crowd (and things of that nature) is "my side?" Sorry, does not compute.

So im an idiot for seeing the decay of society, watching a holy war and having to keep my mouth shut about my knowledge cause the government isbig brother. Im sorry but even though it aint my place America's political system needs to be destroyed.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

dmbrhs wrote:
But I guess I'm on a board that believes the world is going to end in a little over three years so why use arguing with idiots?

thats "your side" buddy. Obama is the anti-christ and liberals are taking away the morals of society. world's ending, JESUS WILL RIIIIISE.
The 2012 crowd (and things of that nature) is "my side?" Sorry, does not compute.
So im an idiot for seeing the decay of society, watching a holy war and having to keep my mouth shut about my knowledge cause the government is big brother. Im sorry but even though it aint my place America's political system needs to be destroyed.

How in the hell does the Rams getting a potential new owner set off a firestorm like this?

Originally Posted by JCH3

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

dmbrhs wrote:

So im an idiot for seeing the decay of society, watching a holy war and having to keep my mouth shut about my knowledge cause the government is big brother. Im sorry but even though it aint my place America's political system needs to be destroyed.
How in the hell does the Rams getting a potential new owner set off a firestorm like this?

Cause Rush is ignorant and his widespread popularity within less informed segnments of America is sickning. I dont care if other owners are racist the factthat hes a media personality whom makes inflamitory comments in my eyes disqualifies him from owning a team in a league where the majority of its players areminorities, and African American.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Considering his best friend and producer is Black

You actually believe that??
the funny thing is, there are actually people who believe this type of stuff actually justifies things or cancels any foolishness he says out."well his one black friend isnt offended, all u guys shouldnt be either" "he's not racist, he has two black housekeepers, he loves MichaelJordan Tiger Woods and Vijay Singh."
cmon son.

Originally Posted by Los Yankees

Los Yankees wrote:

No I didnt say that. Can you read? Where did I say where it was "ok"? You are absolutely right it shouldn't have happened, but it did. Should I still wake up in the morning being upset because Africans were slaves and were the main people building an economy in this country? Would that make me more of a legit Black person if I did? Would it make me "real" Black person if I went around blaming people for slavery? Let me know.
he said the person who killed MLK should be given an award, what the hell is wrong with you.....
roll.gif

it would make you more of a legit person if you weren't defending the person who said slavery had it's merits. economy>human rights??? whaaA? You can argue semantics all you want, but he's a piece of crap, fear mongerer. For example if I rob your house, and rape your sister, It had it's merits right? i mean I got some money and bust a nut, so it's all good to advocate what i did.

It didn't have merit for me, but it obviously it did for you. You got what you wanted, right? You are comparing rape which is and was illegal to something that wasn't illegal at the time. Slavery was a ugly and terrible thing, but to say it didn't have merit or not benefit anyone your just blind. People freedoms were at the expense, but like I said slavery happened all over the world and continues to this day, but I don't see you complaining about that.

As far as the MLK statement is concerned, I want to hear it in context. Considering his best friend and producer is Black, I'll take those words with a grain of salt and give him the benefit of the doubt, than someone who just read a statement and runs with it.

so slavery was legal at the time and rape wasn't? so it had merit.... really. That's how you see the world? so if tomorrow there were lawssaying that slavery is legal, then it would go back to having merit. Laws don't equate with morality or merit.

you give someone the benefit of the doubt once, maybe twice. But he says foul stuff every other day. forget that grain of salt crap. explain to me what type ofcontext it would be okay to say that the assassin of mlk jr should be given an award, because I can't think of one.

he's a racist, a fear mongerer or both. He gets paid to say outlandish, racist stuff. That's his job, and I get it money talks. I have no idea if hebelieves the crap he says. But I know that he knows how divisive and hurtful the language he uses is. I wouldn't want to play for him.

he's a racist, a fear mongerer or both. He gets paid to say outlandish, racist stuff. That's his job, and I get it money talks. I have no idea if he believes the crap he says. But I know that he knows how divisive and hurtful the language he uses is. I wouldn't want to play for him.
Until this story broke, I had no idea how much Rush Limbaugh was getting paid to host a daily 3-hour radio show... turns out it's $50M insalary and signing bonus. That doesn't include performance bonuses/incentives, endorsements, appearances, and investment income.

WSJ:Clear Channel, Limbaugh Ink $400 Million New Contract

Most folks would say absolutely anything for 3 hours a day if it made them $50 million a year. In the same vein, the vast majority of NFL players are gonnaplay for whoever pays them the most money. The average NFL career is incredibly short, players gotta take advantage of their peak income earning years. Saveyour principles for retirement when you can carry on like Jim Brown all you want.

[h1]Black NFL players crush prospect of playing for a Rush Limbaugh-owned St. Louis Rams[/h1]
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/10/09/2009-10-09_black_nfl_players_crush_prospect_of_playing_for_a_rush_limbaughowned_st_louis_ra.html#ixzz0TSUpDo24

Mathias Kiwanuka loves his former defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, but the Giants' defensive end says he will never play for Spagnuolo's Rams if Rush Limbaugh purchases the team.

Kiwanuka and the Jets' Bart Scott made it clear Thursday that they would never play for the Rams or any team owned by the controversial conservative radio host.

"All I know is from the last comment I heard, he said in (President) Obama's America, white kids are getting beat up on the bus while black kids are chanting 'right on,'" Kiwanuka told The Daily News. "I mean, I don't want anything to do with a team that he has any part of. He can do whatever he wants, it is a free country. But if it goes through, I can tell you where I am not going to play."

"I am not going to draw a conclusion from a person off of one comment, but when it is time after time after time and there's a consistent pattern of disrespect and just a complete misunderstanding of an entire culture that I am a part of, I can't respect him as a man."

Limbaugh said on Tuesday that he is joining former Knicks president and Madison Square Garden CEO Dave Checketts in a group bidding to purchase the Rams. Checketts, who owns the NHL's St. Louis Blues, is heading the group, reportedly one of many bidders. The potential sale is still in an early stage. If the Rams are sold, St. Louis will choose one bidding group, which will then be subject to a vote by the NFL's 32 owners, with approval needed by 24 of them.

Limbaugh's controversial comments are well-known. He resigned from ESPN in 2003 after he said the media were "very desirous that a black quarterback do well" in reference to Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb being overrated. "If he's rewarded to buy them, congratulations to him," McNabb said during his weekly press conference. "But I won't be in St. Louis anytime soon."

Scott says players remember what Limbaugh said, and adds that the NFL would be wise not to allow the nationally syndicated host into the league. "It's an oxymoron that he criticized Donovan McNabb," Scott said. "A lot of us took it as more of a racial-type thing. I can only imagine how his players would feel. I know I wouldn't want to play for him. He's a jerk. He's an ---. What he said (about McNabb) was inappropriate and insensitive, totally off-base. He could offer me whatever he wanted, I wouldn't play for him. ... I wouldn't play for Rush Limbaugh. My principles are greater and I can't be bought."

Limbaugh, who grew up in Missouri about 100 miles south of St. Louis, is an avid sports fan who once said that "the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons."

Kiwanuka cringes at the idea of Limbaugh becoming an NFL owner. "They are flat-out racist," Kiwanuka said of many of Limbaugh's statements. "He jumps on Obama and he jumps on other people for being racist. But a lot of the comments that he said, I feel like they have no place in journalism. It is just an opinion show that should be only be taken for shock value. I liken it to 'South Park' when I am listening to him."

"I love Spags and would play for him in a heartbeat, but under that situation ... obviously trades you have no control over, but if it was a free-agent thing, I wouldn't care if I only had one offer on the table, I would rather stay a free agent."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/10/09/2009-10-09_black_nfl_players_crush_prospect_of_playing_for_a_rush_limbaughowned_st_louis_ra.html#ixzz0TSSthhVB

Glad to see players speaking their mind

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

[h1]Black NFL players crush prospect of playing for a Rush Limbaugh-owned St. Louis Rams[/h1]
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/10/09/2009-10-09_black_nfl_players_crush_prospect_of_playing_for_a_rush_limbaughowned_st_louis_ra.html#ixzz0TSUpDo24

Mathias Kiwanuka loves his former defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, but the Giants' defensive end says he will never play for Spagnuolo's Rams if Rush Limbaugh purchases the team.

Kiwanuka and the Jets' Bart Scott made it clear Thursday that they would never play for the Rams or any team owned by the controversial conservative radio host.

"All I know is from the last comment I heard, he said in (President) Obama's America, white kids are getting beat up on the bus while black kids are chanting 'right on,'" Kiwanuka told The Daily News. "I mean, I don't want anything to do with a team that he has any part of. He can do whatever he wants, it is a free country. But if it goes through, I can tell you where I am not going to play."

"I am not going to draw a conclusion from a person off of one comment, but when it is time after time after time and there's a consistent pattern of disrespect and just a complete misunderstanding of an entire culture that I am a part of, I can't respect him as a man."

Limbaugh said on Tuesday that he is joining former Knicks president and Madison Square Garden CEO Dave Checketts in a group bidding to purchase the Rams. Checketts, who owns the NHL's St. Louis Blues, is heading the group, reportedly one of many bidders. The potential sale is still in an early stage. If the Rams are sold, St. Louis will choose one bidding group, which will then be subject to a vote by the NFL's 32 owners, with approval needed by 24 of them.

Limbaugh's controversial comments are well-known. He resigned from ESPN in 2003 after he said the media were "very desirous that a black quarterback do well" in reference to Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb being overrated. "If he's rewarded to buy them, congratulations to him," McNabb said during his weekly press conference. "But I won't be in St. Louis anytime soon."

Scott says players remember what Limbaugh said, and adds that the NFL would be wise not to allow the nationally syndicated host into the league. "It's an oxymoron that he criticized Donovan McNabb," Scott said. "A lot of us took it as more of a racial-type thing. I can only imagine how his players would feel. I know I wouldn't want to play for him. He's a jerk. He's an ---. What he said (about McNabb) was inappropriate and insensitive, totally off-base. He could offer me whatever he wanted, I wouldn't play for him. ... I wouldn't play for Rush Limbaugh. My principles are greater and I can't be bought."

Limbaugh, who grew up in Missouri about 100 miles south of St. Louis, is an avid sports fan who once said that "the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons."

Kiwanuka cringes at the idea of Limbaugh becoming an NFL owner. "They are flat-out racist," Kiwanuka said of many of Limbaugh's statements. "He jumps on Obama and he jumps on other people for being racist. But a lot of the comments that he said, I feel like they have no place in journalism. It is just an opinion show that should be only be taken for shock value. I liken it to 'South Park' when I am listening to him."

"I love Spags and would play for him in a heartbeat, but under that situation ... obviously trades you have no control over, but if it was a free-agent thing, I wouldn't care if I only had one offer on the table, I would rather stay a free agent."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/10/09/2009-10-09_black_nfl_players_crush_prospect_of_playing_for_a_rush_limbaughowned_st_louis_ra.html#ixzz0TSSthhVB

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

"I am not going to draw a conclusion from a person off of one comment, but when it is time after time after time and there's a consistent pattern ofdisrespect and just a complete misunderstanding of an entire culture that I am a part of, I can't respect him as a man."

well said. I knew this wouldn't fly with the players. $$$ or not, a good amount of players would not play for rush. period.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[h2]Smith sends e-mail detailing opposition[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Chris Mortensen
ESPN
Archive

NFL Players Executive Director DeMaurice Smith on Saturday made a move to solidify the union against a bid by conservative talk show radio host Rush Limbaugh as part of a group that aims to purchase the St. Louis Rams.

In an e-mail to the union's executive committee on Saturday specifically addressing Limbaugh's bid, Smith said, "I've spoken to the Commissioner [Roger Goodell] and I understand that this ownership consideration is in the early stages. But sport in America is at its best when it unifies, gives all of us reason to cheer, and when it transcends. Our sport does exactly that when it overcomes division and rejects discrimination and hatred."
"
I've spoken to the Commissioner [Roger Goodell] and I understand that this ownership consideration is in the early stages. But sport in America is at its best when it unifies, gives all of us reason to cheer, and when it transcends. Our sport does exactly that when it overcomes division and rejects discrimination and hatred.
" -- DeMaurice Smith, in e-mail to union's executive committee

Limbaugh and St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts are among six potential ownership groups that have discussed buying the Rams. League sources say the current sale price has ranged from $700-to-$750 million but that there did not appear to be an imminent transaction.

There are also strong African-American ownership groups interested in buying the Rams, including businessmen Donald Watkins and Dave Steward.

At least seven NFL players have publicly opposed Limbaugh's interest in purchasing the Rams with Checketts. In Smith's communication Saturday with his executive committee, the union leader encouraged players to speak their mind on all matters, including Limbaugh's bid.

"I have asked our players to embrace their roles not only in the game of football but also as players and partners in the business of the NFL," said Smith. "They risk everything to play this game, they understand that risk and they live with that risk and its consequences for the rest of their life. We also know that there is an ugly part of history and we will not risk going backwards, giving up, giving in or lying down to it.

"Our men are strong and proud sons, fathers, spouses and I am proud when they stand up, understand this is their profession and speak with candor and blunt honesty about how they feel."
The league has maintained it does not publicly address potential franchise sales. All transactions, when formally presented after a thorough background check, are decided by the 32 owners by vote

I dont get a chance to listen to Rush much because of my schedule, but it is ironic that he addressed these accusations of "defending slavery" today,here's a clip of it. A little different to when you actually hear someone say something in context rather than reading a quotes on a webpage.

Rush Limbaugh - Oct 12 2009 - Hour 3.wma - 12.55MB

I love Kiwunuka, but he's a liar and any other player who says they would never play for a team with Rush Limbaugh is a liar as well if offered more money.Especially in this league where these dudes cry about everything.

you stay saying some of the dumbest stuff on niketalk

who the hell are you to say that kiwunuka would play for rush if he was offered more money? Some people put principles over money. especially if they areliving to a comfortable point already. It's not "ironic" that he defended the slavery comments, it's spin control so the transaction can gothrough as he pleases.

nfl players cry about everything? huh? they can get paralyzed or killed on every single play. only diva wide receivers and a couple QB's complain.

I dont get a chance to listen to Rush much because of my schedule, but it is ironic that he addressed these accusations of "defending slavery" today, here's a clip of it. A little different to when you actually hear someone say something in context rather than reading a quotes on a webpage.

Rush Limbaugh - Oct 12 2009 - Hour 3.wma - 12.55MB

I love Kiwunuka, but he's a liar and any other player who says they would never play for a team with Rush Limbaugh is a liar as well if offered more money. Especially in this league where these dudes cry about everything.

[h1]Limbaugh addresses critics of his plan to buy the Rams[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on October 12, 2009 7:02 PM ET
Amid a growing chorus of opposition to his interest in buying the St. Louis Rams along with Dave Checketts, the owner of the NHL's St. Louis Blues, radio host Rush Limbaugh addressed the situation during his weekday radio show.

By way of brief (and probably needless) background, Limbaugh is a polarizing figure. Those who love him adore him. Those who hate him do so with all the intensity of the surface of the sun.

From a business standpoint, he's a genius. He knows how to get under the epidermis of his detractors while at the same time pressing the buttons of his proponents. All the while, his ratings -- and thus his wallet -- grow.

He's also very adroit when it comes to using the English language, and when dancing around delicate subjects.

Limbaugh focused his Monday remarks on the media, claiming that he's not surprised by the reaction of some journalists and broadcasters. And without specifically mentioning the quote in question, Limbaugh generally denied that he uttered one of the passages that is cited often by those who believe Limbaugh is a racist.

Here's the quote, which can be found at multiple web site via a simple Google search, and which Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch used in a recent column: "I mean, let's face it, we didn't have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: Slavery built the South. I'm not saying we should bring it back. I'm just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark."

During his Monday show, Limbaugh broadly claimed that 15 hours per week of radio programming covering 21 years had been reviewed. (It's a job that would take more than 16,000 hours, so he apparently has a bunch of employees.) Said Limbaugh, "There is not even an inkling that any words in this quote are accurate."

But here's the key -- he never directly denied saying the precise words that Burwell assigned to him. Sure, Limbaugh made vague claims of libel and slander, but there should be no ambiguity here. If Burwell attributed a concocted, made up quote to Limbaugh, Limbaugh's lawyers should be demanding a retraction and a large bag of cash.

Though I've got no idea whether Limbaugh said it, Burwell says that Limbaugh said it. And if Limbaugh didn't say it, he's got an open-and-shut defamation claim against Burwell, the Post-Dispatch, and anyone else who has attributed that quote to Limbaugh.

Indeed, Limbaugh should own the keys to newsone.com, which cites Limbaugh as the source of the "slavery . . . had its merits" quote and other racially inflammatory remarks, such as "Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it."

But instead of Limbaugh directly challenging those whom he believes are deliberately misrepresenting his words, conservative web sites are implying that Limbaugh never said that which declined on Monday to expressly deny saying. At NewsBusters.org, for example, Scott Whitlock calls out MSNBC for relying on Steelers linebacker James Farrior as the source for the quote. In so doing, Whitlock calls the "slavery had its merits" quote "dubious" and describes it as something Limbaugh "supposedly" said.

Look, either he said it or he didn't. And in referring to an item from the Post-Dispatchthat troubled him because it suggested that he supports slavery, all Limbaugh had to do was read the quote that Bryan Burwell attributed to Limbaugh and say, "Folks, here are the words they say that I said. And I swear to you that I never uttered these words."

The fact that Limbaugh didn't do that makes us think that maybe he said it. And we'll continue to think that maybe Limbaugh said it until Limbaugh either specifically and categorically denies making the remark or successfully sues Burwell and the Post-Dispatch for falsely claiming that Limbaugh made a statement that any fair-minded person would regard as incredibly and patently racist.

We previously said that we've got no problem with Limbaugh owning an NFL team, if he can keep his political views separate from his sports interests. But in light of the quote that Limbaugh for whatever reason wouldn't directly and unequivocally say he didn't say, we're not so sure that he should be permitted to buy the team based simply on his ability to write the check.

If, after all, playing in the NFL is a privilege, isn't owning one of the franchises a privilege, too?

Moreover, if the "slavery . . . had its merits" statement isn't enough to disqualify Limbaugh from owning an NFL team (if he said it), then why in the hell did the folks who run Major League Baseball essentially ban former Reds owner Marge Schott from her own building for saying that Hitler had his merits?
Theres no way he should have anything to do w/ the nfl

who the hell are you to say that kiwunuka would play for rush if he was offered more money? Some people put principles over money. especially if they are living to a comfortable point already. It's not "ironic" that he defended the slavery comments, it's spin control so the transaction can go through as he pleases.

nfl players cry about everything? huh? they can get paralyzed or killed on every single play. only diva wide receivers and a couple QB's complain.

Dude please. They know what they are getting into when they play football even at pop warner. They know damn well they can even get paralyzed playing highschool ball and IT'S FOR FREE. So don't tell me that they are playing for more money because of the risk of getting paralyzed. Only WR and QBscomplain? Did you sleep through the Julius Peppers hold out because he was crying about the "franchise tag" that was going to pay him $8 million.Dude you're a clown, dont ever address me again.

And I can bet both of you haven't even listened to the clip. Still you post something from someone else on a website.

I wouldnt waste my bandwith listening to someone I think is a oxycoton popping racist.

You can defend him all you want but there's a groundswell of opposition growing against him so theres more then a good chance he wont get his way just likelast november.

I wouldnt waste my bandwith listening to someone I think is a oxycoton popping racist.

You can defend him all you want but there's a groundswell of opposition growing against him so theres more then a good chance he wont get his way just like last november.

That sums it up. Stay classy, my man.

who the hell are you to say that kiwunuka would play for rush if he was offered more money? Some people put principles over money. especially if they are living to a comfortable point already. It's not "ironic" that he defended the slavery comments, it's spin control so the transaction can go through as he pleases.

Dude please. They know what they are getting into when they play football even at pop warner. They know damn well they can even get paralyzed playing high school ball and IT'S FOR FREE. So don't tell me that they are playing for more money because of the risk of getting paralyzed. Only WR and QBs complain? Did you sleep through the Julius Peppers hold out because he was crying about the "franchise tag" that was going to pay him $8 million. Dude you're a clown, dont ever address me again.

And I can bet both of you haven't even listened to the clip. Still you post something from someone else on a website.

you have selective eyes. You disregard the main bulk of my response, to argue about whether players complain which was irrelevant to begin withbut you brought it up.So here it is for you again

who the hell are you to say that kiwunuka would play for rush if he was offered more money? Some people put principles overmoney. especially if they are living to a comfortable point already. It's not "ironic" that he defendedthe slavery comments, it's spin control so the transaction can go through as he pleases.
\

Back
Top Bottom