Rush limbaugh trying to buy the rams

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by JCH3

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I can't believe people in here are trying to defend Rush and his comments, truly sad.
I will NOT defend some of Rush's comments, although some of them are still unconfirmed.
heres the problem, if Rush didnt say those things, where's his libel lawsuit.
the list was printed in a reputable media source attributing the statements to Rush.

But I will always defend somebody's right to ownership, especially since his group wants the team to stay in St. Louis.
He has the right to try and buy the Rams. He does not have the right to owneing them. it is a private business which requires an approval vote from the owners and the league. so in essence, not just ANYONE can buy a NFL franchise. it is NOT a right.

You are right about the ownership part. I think it would be very interesting to see how all 31 other owners would vote on it. Most of them leanhis way politically anyhow.

The one unconfirmed quote I keep hearing is the slavery one. After Wilbon mentioned it on PTI on Friday, Limbaugh contacted Wilbon to claim he never said thatquote. I think it is attributed to the "Worst People in America" book or something along those lines.

[h1]Checketts confirms that Limbaugh dropped from ownership bid[/h1]
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 14, 2009 6:31 PM ET
It didn't take long for the ownership group hoping to buy the Rams to confirm a report that Rush Limbaugh is no longer part of their team.

In a statement released Wednesday evening to the Associated Press, the group's leader, St. Louis Blues chairman Dave Checketts, said that Limbaugh's participation had become a complication in the group's efforts and the bid will move forward without him.

Limbaugh was to be a limited partner and it's unclear how significant his financial stake in the group was going to be.

What was clear was the NFL's stance on the issue, as enumerated by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

And it didn't take long for Checketts to hear that message and decisively act.

As we hear from players all the time right around when free agency approaches: It's a business.
Kick rocks rush
laugh.gif

I saw this posted on ESPN's "Conversation" section or whatever:

The biggest winner from all of this is Rush Limbaugh. His ratings must be skyrocketing by now. His followers believe more than ever that everyone is against them. Rush played this perfectly.

how would his ratings skyrocket tho?

Rush is not one of those fringe guys where people would be compelled to listen to him

people either like him and listen or they dont like him and refuse to listen.

I don't listen to his show but at a time where he is at the center of a firestorm, I would be more compelled to listen to him now more than any other time.

I saw this posted on ESPN's "Conversation" section or whatever:

The biggest winner from all of this is Rush Limbaugh. His ratings must be skyrocketing by now. His followers believe more than ever that everyone is against them. Rush played this perfectly.

I never said he was a stupid man. It was win/win for him.

In complete honesty, Rush has done nothing wrong. He said what he said, whatever. There's people in the league who have done far worse.

Also, I keep hearing about his talk show as being a reasoning towards how he is viewed and that his political agenda is a hardline approach, yada, yada, yada,that his character is being judged by essentially an act and ruse to get viewers. He is as far right in his political views as Keith Olbermann is far left, andKeith is associated with the NFL. Not a potential owner, but what exactly does that say?

And because of his popularity and what he portrays himself to be, people take his fame or infamy and use it against him. I strongly believe that the majorityof the lesser known NFL owners are no less controversial in their views, in comparison to societal norms, that it leads me to believe his popularity skews himto his detriment.

The McNabb fiasco is long in the past and again, there are other people associated with the NFL who have done far worse and been granted second chances.

Lastly, If this group that Limbaugh was with, falters in buying the Rams directly or indirectly as a result from a lack of funding with the drop of Rush, thenhow exactly will hindsight play for the fans and Rams organization when this team moves to LA.

We all know that LA is waiting in the wings and let's be honest, there aren't many billionaires around anymore, which means the liklihood of abillionaire from Missouri or a billionaire wanting to keep the team is St. Louis is small at best. The majority of potential owners out there most likely haveno qualms with moving this team.

I do not condone nor do I listen to or care for Rush Limbaugh. I'm just arguing against some points that I've heard be it on NT, TV, or radio.

^ once again

how are the comments he's being scrutinized for in any way political?

the mcnabb one
watching the nfl is like watching bloods and crips without the guns
slavery had it's merits
in obamas america black kids beat up white kids on the bus with their friends yelling "right on"

can't believe you even compared rush to olberman. It goes deeper than politics with rush.

If Luis Farakhan wanted to buy a team, what do you think the public opinion would be? what do you think Roger Goodell and the owners would have done? and whatdo you think the outcome would be?

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

In complete honesty, Rush has done nothing wrong. He said what he said, whatever.

Also, I keep hearing about his talk show as being a reasoning towards how he is viewed and that his political agenda is a hardline approach, yada, yada, yada, that his character is being judged by essentially an act and ruse to get viewers. He is as far right in his political views as Keith Olbermann is far left, and Keith is associated with the NFL. Not a potential owner, but what exactly does that say?

And because of his popularity and what he portrays himself to be, people take his fame or infamy and use it against him. I strongly believe that the majority of the lesser known NFL owners are no less controversial in their views, in comparison to societal norms, that it leads me to believe his popularity skews him to his detriment.

The McNabb fiasco is long in the past and again, there are other people associated with the NFL who have done far worse and been granted second chances.

Lastly, If this group that Limbaugh was with, falters in buying the Rams directly or indirectly as a result from a lack of funding with the drop of Rush, then how exactly will hindsight play for the fans and Rams organization when this team moves to LA.

We all know that LA is waiting in the wings and let's be honest, there aren't many billionaires around anymore, which means the liklihood of a billionaire from Missouri or a billionaire wanting to keep the team is St. Louis is small at best. The majority of potential owners out there most likely have no qualms with moving this team.

I do not condone nor do I listen to or care for Rush Limbaugh. I'm just arguing against some points that I've heard be it on NT, TV, or radio.
I agree with you on a number of ideas, but disagree with you on a number of points too.

Rush has pushed envelope of racially-tinged comments, which have at times bordered or even crossed over into racist territory. That's unacceptable andshould be not be discounted as mere " he said what he said, whatever."

Rush is way more extreme in his views and things that come out of his mouth than Olbermann is or has ever been. There really is no debating that.

As far as free speech is concerned - that's a totally different topic. He has a right to free speech as much as he has a right to also carry the burden ofthe words he's used in opposition of certain political beliefs and groups, which he has spent most of his life attacking. I don't believe, however,that that burden should be in the form of him being prevented from joining into a certain business venture or a general detriment to his future livelihood.

Yes, I do believe that people are/were using his agenda against him and attempting to shut him out of the dealings as a potential member of an NFL team becauseof those things - something, which I think is wrong and goes against the rules of a free market system.

Owning a nfl frnchise is NOT free market society.
It is private business that requires an approval from the league.

That's what most are missing.

If Luis Farakhan wanted to buy a team, what do you think the public opinion would be? what do you think Roger Goodell and the owners would have done? and what do you think the outcome would be?
Somebody would have blown up the mosque. Forget public opinion thousands would be dead and someone would try and spin it.

One thing is a vote from within a private entity to decide the outcome of this event (which is what happened here) and another thing is individuals outsidethat entity attempting to strong arm and influence what kind of decisions should be made by that organization (which is what many wanted to happen here).

The free market functions here is/are the decision by Dave Checketts to deny Limbaugh a position within the investment group as it would ultimately infringeupon their bottom line.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

If Luis Farakhan wanted to buy a team, what do you think the public opinion would be? what do you think Roger Goodell and the owners would have done? and what do you think the outcome would be?
Somebody would have blown up the mosque. Forget public opinion thousands would be dead and someone would try and spin it.
nobody would have blown up anything drama queen, he would be scrutinized for his very public comments against jews and white people, musch thesame way rush is being scrutinized for what he said about black people.

The Jews don't like Farrakhan, so they call me Hitler. Well, that's a good name.Hitler was a very great man."

Murder and lying comes easy for white people."

"I believe that for the small numbers of Jewish people in the United States, theyexercise a tremendous amount of influence on the affairs of government ...Yes, they exercise extraordinary control, and black people will never be free in thiscountry until they are free of that kind of control ... "
--Meet The Press interview, April 1997

I recognized that the black man will never be free until we address the relationship betweenblacks and Jews."
These false Jews promote the filth of Hollywood. It's the wicked Jews, the false Jews thatare promoting lesbianism, homosexuality, [and] Zionists have manipulated Bush and the American government [on the war in Iraq]"

Originally Posted by DubA169

^ once again

the mcnabb one
slavery had it's merits
in obamas america black kids beat up white kids on the bus with their friends yelling "right on"

can't believe you even compared rush to olberman. It goes deeper than politics with rush.

Ok, let me clarify because I didn't do my best job explaining that. I know that this is nothing about politics, however, Rush is known for hisfringe/hardline/controversial topics on the platform of political banter. It's because of this political stage, that Rush is known and why people are so inarms with this situation. We do not know Rush. Most of these guys like Rush are all actors, simply voicing a character to get ratings. It's thesecharacters that people dislike, and it's because of politics that this character was born.

I just simply think people need to relax and let us find out who Rush really is. As far as racism goes, I will say what he said about McNabb was borderlinecontroversial, but I don't think it was as big a deal as people think it is. It's the people who get huffy puffy about what happened are the reason whyRush is so rich and the reason why things are the way it is anyway.

And how do we know that all the other owners haven't said racial comments? We don't. It's just because they aren't anywhere near as mainstreamas Limbaugh. And again, I can't stress enough how ridiculous it is when his record is a clean slate of nothing but fringe talk radio and you look aroundthe league and see many a player who have done various jail/prison stints. Think about how stupid and pampering that is. I don't like Limbaugh, but Idon't like that either.

^ once again

the mcnabb one
slavery had it's merits

Ok, let me clarify because I didn't do my best job explaining that. I know that this is nothing about politics, however, Rush is known for his fringe/hardline/controversial topics on the platform of political banter. It's because of this political stage, that Rush is known and why people are so in arms with this situation. We do not know Rush. Most of these guys like Rush are all actors, simply voicing a character to get ratings. It's these characters that people dislike, and it's because of politics that this character was born.

I just simply think people need to relax and let us find out who Rush really is. As far as racism goes, I will say what he said about McNabb was borderline controversial, but I don't think it was as big a deal as people think it is. It's the people who get huffy puffy about what happened are the reason why Rush is so rich and the reason why things are the way it is anyway.

And how do we know that all the other owners haven't said racial comments? We don't. It's just because they aren't anywhere near as mainstream as Limbaugh. And again, I can't stress enough how ridiculous it is when his record is a clean slate of nothing but fringe talk radio and you look around the league and see many a player who have done various jail/prison stints. Think about how stupid and pampering that is. I don't like Limbaugh, but I don't like that either.

Less not forget that Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin AGREED with Rush, they must be racists also.

Yet still, there are no transcripts, audio, or video for the following quotes...

"I mean, let's face it, we didn't have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I'm not saying we should bring it back; I'm just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark."

"You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed."

"The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

^ once again

the mcnabb one
slavery had it's merits

Ok, let me clarify because I didn't do my best job explaining that. I know that this is nothing about politics, however, Rush is known for his fringe/hardline/controversial topics on the platform of political banter. It's because of this political stage, that Rush is known and why people are so in arms with this situation. We do not know Rush. Most of these guys like Rush are all actors, simply voicing a character to get ratings. It's these characters that people dislike, and it's because of politics that this character was born.

I just simply think people need to relax and let us find out who Rush really is. As far as racism goes, I will say what he said about McNabb was borderline controversial, but I don't think it was as big a deal as people think it is. It's the people who get huffy puffy about what happened are the reason why Rush is so rich and the reason why things are the way it is anyway.

And how do we know that all the other owners haven't said racial comments? We don't. It's just because they aren't anywhere near as mainstream as Limbaugh. And again, I can't stress enough how ridiculous it is when his record is a clean slate of nothing but fringe talk radio and you look around the league and see many a player who have done various jail/prison stints. Think about how stupid and pampering that is. I don't like Limbaugh, but I don't like that either.

Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by Los Yankees

^ once again

the mcnabb one
slavery had it's merits

Less not forget that Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin AGREED with Rush, they must be racists also.

Yet still, there are no transcripts, audio, or video for the following quotes...

"I mean, let's face it, we didn't have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I'm not saying we should bring it back; I'm just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark."

"You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed."

"The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

when did Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin agree. they sat there and didnt say anything...

if those quotes are wrongly dcredited to him, where's the libel suit ...

and again asnwer my question...
If Luis Farakhan wanted to buy the Rams, what would you guys reaction be? what do u think the outcome would be?

If Luis Farakhan wanted to buy the Rams, what would you guys reaction be? what do u think the outcome would be?

I am answering this totally honest. I wouldn't give a %@!! as long as he kept the team in St. Louis.

I am answering this totally honest. I wouldn't give a %@!! as long as he kept the team in St. Louis.
They'd be selling bean pies, final call newspapers and bean soda at the concession stands.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

They'd be selling bean pies, final call newspapers and bean soda at the concession stands.
laugh.gif
Fine by me.

Back
Top Bottom