Saw SHUTTER ISLAND tonight- vol. yes, it's better than The Departed **Spoilers within**

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

I will be checking this out Friday nite. I'm going to download it via the XBOX though. Not sure if it's worth coppin on Blu Ray.
DEFINITELY worth coppin on Blu Ray. 

Just watched it again. If Leo doesn't get nominated, there is something wrong with the Oscars.

Just watched it over the weekend. It was a great movie but someone told me the ending before I watched it so it was kinda ruined for me. To be honest im still a little mad
laugh.gif

I personally loved all the little hints that get thrown at you during the movie. I really appreciated it that much more for those subtleties.

Spoiler [+]
When hes on the boat in the beginning, and makes mention of his wife, the camera cuts to the water in the ocean quickly, then cuts back
Speaking about her death to Chuck on the boat, "It was the smoke that got her, not the fire...." was great
Chuck struggling to take off his weapon upon entrance was a nice touch
During the interview with the woman, when asked about the doctor, you can see her eyes shift towards Chuck, followed by 2 cuts to his face while shes speaking about the doctor.
The mention of the Hydrogen bomb was freaking FANTASTIC to me, in terms of what it represented in relation to Teddy.

The gun struggle was mentioned in the book, too, which I was very happy to notice.

Finally saw the movie the other day after reading the book quite some time ago, and I have to say that it was well worth the wait. It was a fantastic movie, and Scorsese did a great job capturing that mysterious old school horror feel with the way the angles and shots he chose, as well as the music, which I thought was absolutely fantastic and definitely worthy of an Oscar nomination. I'm expecting at least 3 noms for this movie: Best Actor, Best Director, Best Original Score. Fantastic film, not better than The Departed, but a fantastic film.

imo they tried to hard

Spoiler [+]
the plot was left to interpretation after the light house scene, so no one knows if he was indeed crazy or not
i'll have to watch the directors cut dvd with commentary
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Radio Flyer

imo they tried to hard

Spoiler [+]
the plot was left to interpretation after the light house scene, so no one knows if he was indeed crazy or not
i'll have to watch the directors cut dvd with commentary
ohwell.gif
In the book it was pretty much implied that he was crazy because of the scene where Chuck struggles to take off his holster when they first arrive to Shutter Island.

Originally Posted by CruThik3

Just watched it again. If Leo doesn't get nominated, there is something wrong with the Oscars.
co-sign. one of the best movie this year.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

The gun struggle was mentioned in the book, too, which I was very happy to notice.

Finally saw the movie the other day after reading the book quite some time ago, and I have to say that it was well worth the wait. It was a fantastic movie, and Scorsese did a great job capturing that mysterious old school horror feel with the way the angles and shots he chose, as well as the music, which I thought was absolutely fantastic and definitely worthy of an Oscar nomination. I'm expecting at least 3 noms for this movie: Best Actor, Best Director, Best Original Score. Fantastic film, not better than The Departed, but a fantastic film.

I would put a 4th nomination for best supporting actor since Ben Kingsley was great in the movie as well. Cinematography was well done as well so that could be a fifth.

I watched it last night after making sure to never read anything about the movie (this thread included) and

Spoiler [+]
figured out that he (Leo's character) was crazy in the opening scene (talking about the death of his wife). When the captain remarked he wanted them to get off of his boat quickly I was pretty sure that I was right. It was very clear after they docked and all the guards were clutching their rifles and shotguns looking spooked. Then, when they made Leo and his partner surrender their guns at the gates there were all kinds of clues, from Leo asking if "crazy was catching" and everyone chuckling, to his partner/shrink having trouble with his pistol and holster as if he had never handled it before.

Walking up to the building, the old lady with no hair gave him the shush sign, basically telling him not to continue with his fantasy.

Of course there were some things I didn't know right off the bat and had to figure out as the movie unfolded, but the clues were all there. Remember when they were supposedly looking for the escaped female patient? Why were the cops just sitting on the rocks staring off into space? They weren't looking for anyone...

it was very predictable, but I enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Krazyrodzilla

So was he crazy or not, I'm still confused.
laugh.gif

in the begining of the movie, he was crazy. but after the lighthouse scene and the scene in the infirmery, he wasn't crazy anymore,
even though he faked it.  he said something along the lines of living a monster vs dieing a hero. if he didnt get lobotomized, he would have been living as a monster,

knowing that he killed his wife. whereas when he was lobotmized, he would still be able to live in his fantasy where hes a hero.  

Originally Posted by Krazyrodzilla

So was he crazy or not, I'm still confused.
laugh.gif

in the begining of the movie, he was crazy. but after the lighthouse scene and the scene in the infirmery, he wasn't crazy anymore,
even though he faked it.  he said something along the lines of living a monster vs dieing a hero. if he didnt get lobotomized, he would have been living as a monster,

knowing that he killed his wife. whereas when he was lobotmized, he would still be able to live in his fantasy where hes a hero.  

Just saw the movie yesterday, definitely kept my interest just had some questions.
Spoiler [+]
I do believe he was insane but was the lady in the cave a real person anywhere in the movie? His wife was a hallucination and the "Rachel" that disappeared was a nurse. However, both of those people actually existed at 1 time or another. Did he just hallucinate a random person and believed she was the real Rachel? Maybe to satisfy himself he went along with the theory that someone actually escaped and is telling him about the conspiracy? Also what did the Law of 4 mean?

Back
Top Bottom