School me on AF1 Jewels

Originally Posted by bootleg ed

does ANYONE

ANYONE

have pictures of the gray canvas mids with the PLASTIC jewel swoosh

like these

http://www.nike.com/af1/index.jhtml#l=1thology,profile,938

but with a jewel swoosh that i believe was white and non-transluscent.

does this ring a bell with ANYONE else?

You're talking about these. Sunlight has ruined one of these. I guess they were on display for a while.

*Side Note...these have "NIKE AIR" in block letters on the heel without a swoosh....

2iabeki.jpg

Originally Posted by ervinshoes

Originally Posted by bootleg ed

does ANYONE

ANYONE

have pictures of the gray canvas mids with the PLASTIC jewel swoosh

like these

http://www.nike.com/af1/index.jhtml#l=1thology,profile,938

but with a jewel swoosh that i believe was white and non-transluscent.

does this ring a bell with ANYONE else?

You're talking about these. Sunlight has ruined one of these. I guess they were on display for a while.

*Side Note...these have "NIKE AIR" in block letters on the heel without a swoosh....

2iabeki.jpg

*MARKS OUT*

damn

flashback

So IT WAS SUNLIGHT that turned them

i swear i've held a minor grudge against my grandma cause i thought for SURE she bleached them....it was the trip to cedar point!

damn...i should apologize to her i thought for sure she did that
Those are my grails now seeing them again. I remember wanting these so bad seeing themin eastbay....WANTED AN 11.5!

To add to the bandwagon; my favorite pair of jewels that I own . . .

24pyzat.jpg

I remember not even knowing what jewel AF1's were when I first saw them like 4-5 yearsback, but I still liked them then. I even remember a substitute teacher that I had once, was wearing the navy blue and red jewel low AF1's. I was glad itwas a substitute because we did nothing that day and I spent the whole class just staring at them. I'm not sure I really see what people are trying to getat by saying they weren't popular back then and now they're only popular because of how rare they are. Ok? You find that in MOST things. I enjoythem because they're a nice change in pace from regular AF1's. I still prefer the regular full swoosh, but there's nothing wrong with switching itup once in awhile. Jewel AF1's came in a lot of nice colors like Paul said, and that's another reason why I like a lot of the jewels.

when i was i kid i remeber having a pair in white and blue with nyc on the strap. boy did i think i was crushing it. wish i could find those

imo i think the jewel swoosh looks best on a mid-top i dont really like the look of them on a low top, i would prefer to see a low with a big leather swoosh

04c3528ce30ca00bfe28348e41b4d416461fe75.jpg

I remember walking into Foot Action and buying these for $19.99 and the white/blue mids with the suede check for 29.99 in 2001. The things i did to both ofthem are unspeakable.

Originally Posted by illphillip

^^^

That may be the worst answer possible to his questions.

Jewels were not popular at all when they dropped. They are popular now. I won't get into my theories on that.

Greatest thing they did was go back to the full Swoosh.

^ 100% pure truth.

These !*%@+ were HATED when they dropped. They only gained in popularity once they became unavailable & people started seeking them out.

To this day, I kick myself for not copping the yellow pictured above & a red version just like that. They were $19.99 apiece @ some Off BroadwayShoes/Rack Room type shoe store in a dead *@## mall here
laugh.gif
mad.gif

I know I'm gravediggin' but I didn't know about this thread until right now and I have to chime in.

Let me start off by saying my first AFI I ever owned were the black/carolina blue mid jewels, which I wore to death as a young buck. It is not correct to saythey were completely unpopular (varied by region), but for those who don't believe they sat and didn't sell, check old Eastbays from the period"Any color, $39.99." Sometimes, art, music, thinkers, authors and shoes are not appreciated during their lifetime, they enjoy popularityposthumously. This is SOMEWHAT the case with jewels.

I love them. I also love AFIs with regular swooshes. Mostly, I love AFIs with good materials, good color blocking, etc...so I love jewels. I'm 22 yearsold, so I don't dislike mids or jewels because they were hot when I first came on the scene. I happen to dislike Super Jewels, the chrome jointsreferenced from the Puffy/Biggie video. A large portion of my collection is comprised of jewels. No need to repeat, so thisis not my whole collection, but what I think has not been posted already in this thread:

n67900221_30004210_1031.jpg

n67900221_30004226_2659.jpg

n67900221_30121428_7912.jpg

n67900221_30004212_1276.jpg

n67900221_30004256_4631.jpg

they are pretty wack. saw them for 20 bucks at my local mom and pops store last year but decided to pass on them.

didn't like them initially, but they're starting to grow on me. only certain colouways, though. and though some of the mids are super hot, i'dnever get a mid myself.

some of the jewels posted on in here are fire!

I had a pair back in the day that had....
1.all white tumbled leather.
2.carolina blue jewel check
pimp.gif

3.ice(clear) carolina blue mid and outersole

If nike retroes these,eff 2 purr gimme 3 lol
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 7 Paul 7

lol why do you presume to think I was offended? I was just stating my opinion, you were wrong about the canvases and as I said before "I PERSONALLY" don't buy the jewels for the rarity its the colour ways. Nobody wears AF1's or even knows anything about them where I live so its as if I'm trying to get shoes to show off to anyone I simply buy what I like.

HA! at the idea of him being "wrong".

Paul, you obviously know your @##@. But come on. Your Team AF1 thead has become canvas crazed. Of course there was always SOME demand for canvas. But if youdon't think "hype" or perceived "exclusivity" has a lot to do with this recent explosion of Canvas AF1's, I think you're beinga bit naive. Because there was never really THAT much demand for Canvas AF1's at all. Which is what many of us are saying about Jewels. The reason so manyare available now if because cats we not really feeling them when they were initially dropped.

Yes, there are some great colorways. But there is obviously more to it than that. There are MANY great GR colorways. Yet they get no mention whatsoever. Youdon't see cats hyped to post pictures of the GR AF1's from '04 they just copped. Ever wonder why? I saw some cat who literally had only been"collecting" AF1's for 2 years yet he had mad Canvas, mad Jewels, mad CO.JP's. So does that person love AF1's, or moreso love the"exclusivity" he believes those sneakers hold?

I said this before and I'll say it again,
Nike, bring back jewels, bring back tumbled leather, and bring back nylon tongues
on forces. It just makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom