School me on Korea

I have a Korean female as my doctoral advisor and they occupy a large part of my area of study (sport management) so I wanted to get a lil more familiar.I'll probably learn some of the language even just being around her the next few years.

NT > Wikipedia
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by heaVINsent15

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Originally Posted by iceymike

To the hispanic question....

I think it'd depend on how dark/light-skinned you are. I'm pretty sure majority of Koreans have never seen hispanics before, and if you are dark-skinned they'd just assume you were one of the illegal immigrant workers from southeast asian probably. And you probably don't want that. If you were light-skinned they'd probably think you were just white, and those same population of girls that dig white guys would dig you too probably.

There is no internet censorship to my knoweldge? I mean I can look at everything I look at in the USA here. Are you talking about youtube censorship they have in China and such? In that case, that kind of stuff is nonexistant. Koreans highly value democracy -- at least to a certain extent. But that's another whole argument.

huh, i'm not dark, but i'm not light. and i don't look nothing like south east asian.. guess i'll try my luck one of these days
laugh.gif
i'll just rock a mexican futbol jersey
nerd.gif

People over there SUCK at basketball so just school them for a little while and they'll call you Carlos Boozer

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
So sad but so true. But even little kids are
sick.gif
at all computergames

I think it'd depend on how dark/light-skinned you are. I'm pretty sure majority of Koreans have never seen hispanics before, and if you are dark-skinned they'd just assume you were one of the illegal immigrant workers from southeast asian probably. And you probably don't want that. If you were light-skinned they'd probably think you were just white, and those same population of girls that dig white guys would dig you too probably.

There is no internet censorship to my knoweldge? I mean I can look at everything I look at in the USA here. Are you talking about youtube censorship they have in China and such? In that case, that kind of stuff is nonexistant. Koreans highly value democracy -- at least to a certain extent. But that's another whole argument.

huh, i'm not dark, but i'm not light. and i don't look nothing like south east asian.. guess i'll try my luck one of these days
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

People over there SUCK at basketball so just school them for a little while and they'll call you Carlos Boozer

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif
at all computer games

damn, i like computer games more than basketball. i guess i'll brush up on my basketball skills couple months before
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by infamousod

I have a Korean female as my doctoral advisor and they occupy a large part of my area of study (sport management) so I wanted to get a lil more familiar. I'll probably learn some of the language even just being around her the next few years.

NT > Wikipedia
pimp.gif

What exactly are you studying?? I'm curious to know how a study in sports mangement has any apparent ties to Korea?? I mean as far as I'm concerned theprofessional sports industry here is very underdeveloped for how developed everything else is in this country...Or am I just completely misinterpreting whatyou said?

^^I knew I wasn't the only one...and they aren't that bad at basketball -_-;
At least you know you will have a clean game and you won't get dunked on lols!

laugh.gif
nerd.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif
at all computer games

damn, i like computer games more than basketball. i guess i'll brush up on my basketball skills couple months before
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
wurd.I have the most basic cable subscription and I get 3 comptuer gamerelated channels. They fill up soccer stadiums here for Starcraft/Warcraft league finals. Some "professional gamers" have endorsment deals that payin the 6 figures
roll.gif

They're treated like celebrities. The average gaming skill of a korean is insane

infamousod wrote:

I have a Korean female as my doctoral advisor and they occupy a large part of my area of study (sport management) so I wanted to get a lil more familiar. I'll probably learn some of the language even just being around her the next few years.

NT > Wikipedia
pimp.gif

What exactly are you studying?? I'm curious to know how a study in sports mangement has any apparent ties to Korea?? I mean as far as I'm concerned the professional sports industry here is very underdeveloped for how developed everything else is in this country...Or am I just completely misinterpreting what you said?

nope, sport management here in the states has quite a few Korean professors/researchers etc. Very much on the academic side and pro sports is only part of thefield. There were literally 4 or 5 "Kim"s at my school for a while including grad students/faculty

Originally Posted by infamousod

infamousod wrote:

NT > Wikipedia
pimp.gif

What exactly are you studying?? I'm curious to know how a study in sports mangement has any apparent ties to Korea?? I mean as far as I'm concerned the professional sports industry here is very underdeveloped for how developed everything else is in this country...Or am I just completely misinterpreting what you said?

nope, sport management here in the states has quite a few Korean professors/researchers etc. Very much on the academic side and pro sports is only part of the field. There were literally 4 or 5 "Kim"s at my school for a while including grad students/faculty

I see....Thats cool. Yeah, Kim is the most popular last name, closely followed by Lee, Choi, and Park in that order I believe
laugh.gif

i'm typing this in Korea too. Not much to add here, as others have given good info already. Just one thing, you won't regret it!

if you want liquor for good prices go to costco there. Got myself a fifth of 151 for about $16 and costco cards are good anywhere around the world

and oh yeah, hold your breath in the bathrooms during the summer.... you'll find out what that trash can in the stalls are for..

^you live in Seoul? if so where at, what you doing here??

i live in Ilsan right now, and i'm attending Sogang graudate school starting next week.

smh.gif
I got murked out in CS when I went there, and I was Cal-M here (I'm sure a few NT'ers know what I'm talking about). It's hard to scrim whenyou don't speak the same language though.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

smh.gif
I got murked out in CS when I went there, and I was Cal-M here (I'm sure a few NT'ers know what I'm talking about). It's hard to scrim when you don't speak the same language though.
laugh.gif

Pshhh I remember my first ace....
pimp.gif

God I hope I can have an opportunity to visit Seoul when I graduate college. I really need to find out about my ancestral homeland first hand.

I guess I'll drop some money on the Hite next time then.

I think it's a travesty when I heard that the Wonder Girls are opening for the Jonas Brothers but maybe it'll convert some people away from the Cult ofDisney.

^
i agree with the wonder girls comment. but at least it'll give them more publicity in the US.
and since i'm a huge fan of the wonder girls, here's another pic
x60bhj.jpg

sunye (leader of wonder girls and also in my avy)
3523m2w.jpg

but can't go wrong with son dambi..
2yvkv4i.jpg

or yuri of snsd..
2nkig41.jpg

or bae seulki..
wtu52a.jpg

or lee hyori..and a few others. sorry for the pic spam..i'm just a big fan of kpop

does anyone know where to get exclusive shoes their? Im trying to get my aunt to send me the true blues

Back
Top Bottom