seattle sports - the worst city?

man, the PNW forum is dead like seattle sports (over the past couple years)

there is no worse city right now for sports than seattle. (a guy on espn even mentioned this...)

discuss.

the worst city for sports???

easily.

m's suck. 'hawks suck. sonics got kidnapped. huskies are horrible. (and nobody cares about soccer.)

EDIT: it's kinda fitting that guy with the sn: "desolation" makes this thread.
tired.gif

Aren't most of the people in Seattle transplants anyway? If I move there, the only reason I'd want the Sonics back is so I could see the Lakers withouthaving to drive to Portland.

even if that were true about the transplant population in seattle, sports were such a huge part of the culture and the economics of the seattle. just like anyother city, when teams are winning cities are winning. when people visit seattle some of the greatest things to experience is to be part of the 12th manatmosphere at qwest field during a game, seeing ichiro play at safeco, and what used to be to see the loyalist of the green and gold at key arena. Seattlesports can not get any lower right now. 206 has felt it's share of pain. it's time for us to get our share of the glory. Paul Allen you need to buyanother NBA team! Or my man Jim Sinegal from costco! you got enough dough buy me some green and gold god dammit!

....damn i'm really bitter. clay bennett go to hell and take what should have been the seattle colorway of the nike KD1 with you...bastard....well...goblazers!!!! hope to see Oden play tonite.

i never heard about the transplant thing. i'm pretty sure the seattle area's got a lot of locals though especially if you count surrounding cities. buti would agree that seattle's the worst place for sports right now.

thenewone, we got an ownership group lined up to bring a team back but the problem is the same as it's always been, the arena.

we are def hurting as sports fan. Huskies basketball may be last hope at anything decent year. Fingers crossed

ps. LIke you gif ^ there. What did you just do!

We as fans still got to support our teams though. Even though every single sport team is sucking right now.
That's what fans do..good times AND bad.

I mean we've had some blessed years and now things suck, but they'll come back up again.

Here are marquee events when it comes to Seattle Sports from 1996-2006:

1996 Sonics went to Finals and forced the series to go back to Chicago.
-Michael Jordan had his worst shooting Finals when he played the Sonics.

2001 UW Huskies win the Rose Bowl
-had a 11-1 season

2001 Mariners win 116 regular season games and went to the ALCS
-Ichiro won Rookie of the Year and MVP

2004 Storms Win the WNBA Finals
-Anne Donovan is the first female coach to win a WNBA title

2006 Seahawks make it to the Super Bowl
-lost in one of the most contreversial Super Bowls ever

Those are just highlights. We've had solid seasons from all of our teams within those years.
Our teams are looking real bad, but we have to distinguish ourselves from cities like NY, LA, or PHILI and not cry or point fingers when our teams suck.

I don't know about the teenagers but I've experienced good years as a Seattle fan, so I'm not gonna cry in times like this.
Red Sox fans waited like 86 years before they won another World Series before 2004?
None of our teams are relevant for one year and we doubt ourselves as a relevant sport city?

True fans don't ask "what have you done for me lately?"
If that's how you think as a fan then how different are we than Clay "Thunder Okie" Bennet?

Continue to support our teams...and like I said in another post "Go see at least one Sounders game even if Soccer sucks."

Originally Posted by bwc1139

we are def hurting as sports fan. Huskies basketball may be last hope at anything decent year. Fingers crossed

thanks. that's from one of the more "recent highlights" DsLee599 was talking about from Seattle Sports when the sonics had that unexpectedly goodseason and made the playoffs. i'm still supporting the local teams too. but i miss the sonics.

Originally Posted by DsLee559

We as fans still got to support our teams though. Even though every single sport team is sucking right now.
That's what fans do..good times AND bad.

None of our teams are relevant for one year and we doubt ourselves as a relevant sport city?

True fans don't ask "what have you done for me lately?"
i don't think anyone's giving up, but we as fans should be able to vent to other fans, right?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ExileUE

thanks. that's from one of the more "recent highlights" DsLee599 was talking about from Seattle Sports when the sonics had that unexpectedly good season and made the playoffs. i'm still supporting the local teams too. but i miss the sonics.

Ya I was at that last game 6 against the spurs that year that they almost put them out. Patapenko left duncan for a wide open layup and ray barely missed a 3at the buzzer. I think alot of that year had to do with mcmillan as coach. I think hes one of the top coaches, he musta seen that ship sinking leaving whenhe did as it was a shock when he left.

Ya I was at that last game 6 against the spurs that year that they almost put them out. Patapenko left duncan for a wide open layup and ray barely missed a 3 at the buzzer. I think alot of that year had to do with mcmillan as coach. I think hes one of the top coaches, he musta seen that ship sinking leaving when he did as it was a shock when he left.
aunno... was i the only one who saw that one coming?
laugh.gif

seemingly everyone was in a contract year that year, so ofcourse they were gonna play balls out. and if the players play hard for their new contracts, thecoach is gonna look good, right? i'm not tryna downplay his role too much, but right when i heard he got a longterm offer, i knew he was gonna take it. hewas simply riding the wave of success. smart move on his part imo.

but that's neither here nor there. how many of you stinkers are claiming the blazers as "your team" now? i still don't feel right about it
laugh.gif
me thinks i'm gonna stay a free agent until the NBA gives us a team (to be named the sonics) again.

Originally Posted by FRANChISe206

seemingly everyone was in a contract year that year, so ofcourse they were gonna play balls out. and if the players play hard for their new contracts, the coach is gonna look good, right? i'm not tryna downplay his role too much, but right when i heard he got a longterm offer, i knew he was gonna take it. he was simply riding the wave of success. smart move on his part imo.
btw, did quick research to make sure i wasn't totally off base in what i was saying, and apparently 9 of our 14 players were in a contractyear that year, including ray ray who was unrestricted.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ExileUE

thanks. that's from one of the more "recent highlights" DsLee599 was talking about from Seattle Sports when the sonics had that unexpectedly good season and made the playoffs. i'm still supporting the local teams too. but i miss the sonics.

Ya I was at that last game 6 against the spurs that year that they almost put them out. Patapenko left duncan for a wide open layup and ray barely missed a 3 at the buzzer. I think alot of that year had to do with mcmillan as coach. I think hes one of the top coaches, he musta seen that ship sinking leaving when he did as it was a shock when he left.

right or not, i still blame potapenko for this game. how could you leave tim duncan so open? I didn't get to see this game live but i was at the kings gamewere rid pulled the move in my avy off
FRANChISe206 wrote:
laugh.gif
me thinks i'm gonna stay a free agent until the NBA gives us a team (to be named the sonics) again.

same here. i'm watching more blazer games just cuz i wanna see how they do but i still can't really pull for them. and i really think the teamoverachieved in 05. i thought they were a lottery team again and being in contract years probably did have something to do with it. it would have been nicethough to keep AD and nate to see if they could make another run at it.

but that's neither here nor there. how many of you stinkers are claiming the blazers as "your team" now? i still don't feel right about it
laugh.gif
Brandon Roy fan but that was before sonics left. Portland ok but not the green and gold that I grew up with so Im hoping for a new team.

UW bball just lost to PORTLAND last night omg....great start to the season guys...PORTLAND. How does quincy pondexter expect to even be drafted when he goes0-6 and scores ZERO points...on another note...Brockman with 30 and 16..im pullin for this guy despite him being undersized n all..dude is the heart and soulof the team man..puts in work every night.

Originally Posted by VCXV

UW bball just lost to PORTLAND last night omg....great start to the season guys...PORTLAND. How does quincy pondexter expect to even be drafted when he goes 0-6 and scores ZERO points...on another note...Brockman with 30 and 16..im pullin for this guy despite him being undersized n all..dude is the heart and soul of the team man..puts in work every night.
pondexter blows. smh.

sucks that it's brockman's last year, too.

I think Brockman will PLAY in the NBA. If Nick Collison can survive in the big league why can't he?

^to add to the UW basketball loss, we are 0-10 for the first time in school history. and the seahawks lost as well with hasselbeck back, losing our chances toan nfl playoff spot. GOD SAVE US!

Originally Posted by thesneakerpimp

It could be worse............ We could live in Pullman.
true. i'm thankful every day that i don't live there
laugh.gif

in other news, looks like we're not getting lane kiffin (as he came to terms with tennessee)... who are the remaining prospects again?

Back
Top Bottom