SERIOUSLY... Has Anyone Ever Met a Black Man Named...

Anton,

You know damn well the name Toby has a different stigma than a name like Jefferson. Yes Black people with both of those names recieved them the same way; colonization. But your kidding yourself if you honestly don't believe that a name like Toby or Kizzy aren't above and beyond more notable due to the very recent film "Roots."

There is a NTer on this very page by the name of Tobias and he can tell when people are trying to chastise him with the name Toby. I am pretty sure no person white or black would recieve the same treatment with the name Jefferson.

Fun Fact: My last name is Barry and I am 100% African, a very popular Fulani name.

Anton,

You know damn well the name Toby has a different stigma than a name like Jefferson. Yes Black people with both of those names recieved them the same way; colonization. But your kidding yourself if you honestly don't believe that a name like Toby or Kizzy aren't above and beyond more notable due to the very recent film "Roots."

There is a NTer on this very page by the name of Tobias and he can tell when people are trying to chastise him with the name Toby. I am pretty sure no person white or black would recieve the same treatment with the name Jefferson.

Fun Fact: My last name is Barry and I am 100% African, a very popular Fulani name.

Originally Posted by enlightenedespot

Anton,

I'm saying a black person with the last name "Jefferson" or the first name Peter making fun of another black person cause his name is Tobey is absurd and a classical case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Jefferson-like Thomas JEFFERSON a slave owner has the exact same connotations. That's all I'm tryna say, out of everything certain people disagree with me on on NT I would think this would be the last one. Either way you cut it, every "European" held by an African American is just as bad as "Tobey". You can replace the name Tobey in that movie with Mark, Peter, etc etc etc.

Anton,

I'm saying a black person with the last name "Jefferson" or the first name Peter making fun of another black person cause his name is Tobey is absurd and a classical case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Jefferson-like Thomas JEFFERSON a slave owner has the exact same connotations. That's all I'm tryna say, out of everything certain people disagree with me on on NT I would think this would be the last one. Either way you cut it, every "European" held by an African American is just as bad as "Tobey". You can replace the name Tobey in that movie with Mark, Peter, etc etc etc.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

This is correct and I couldn't agree more. Unsettling actually if you think about it. I would think the jokes would come from another ethnic group, not from the African diaspora but you can't put anything past ignorance and self hate right?

Anywho, my question is do you agree that there is a certain special relevance to the name Toby in modern day society due to the cult classic series, Roots?  

This is correct and I couldn't agree more. Unsettling actually if you think about it. I would think the jokes would come from another ethnic group, not from the African diaspora but you can't put anything past ignorance and self hate right?

Anywho, my question is do you agree that there is a certain special relevance to the name Toby in modern day society due to the cult classic series, Roots?  

I see why some people would. I honestly don't think its all that bad but that's just me I guess. Maybe cause I know black people named Tobi and I never thought much of it. Maybe cause they're Yoruba.

You would be surprised how many of these type of jokes come from members of your own "race".

I see why some people would. I honestly don't think its all that bad but that's just me I guess. Maybe cause I know black people named Tobi and I never thought much of it. Maybe cause they're Yoruba.

You would be surprised how many of these type of jokes come from members of your own "race".

Back
Top Bottom