SERIOUSLY... Has Anyone Ever Met a Black Man Named...

supahoopa wrote:
a white girl named ebony

eek.gif
 , did she have a big butt?

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

^^^

just don't respond to that guy, leave him be. he'll just find a way to derail the thread with some nonsensical jargon
laugh.gif
I mean, the things he's said outside this thread nonwithstanding (since they're not important) aside, he's making a lot of sense.
Outside of Roots, its not like Toby is the stereotypical field slave.

Aiight look man... If you come across a black man named Toby, what's your FIRST thought? Don't lie. That's ALL this thread is about. You AUTOMATICALLY think slave/kunta/etc. I had never met any black man with that name and couldn't comprehend how a parent would name their child that. THAT'S IT! lol

and your last sentence makes absolutely NO sense...
I think of Tobey from The Office, no lie.

I haven't seen Roots in years. The emotional impact is fading from my memory. Probably replaced it with that Chappelle skit.

And Anton, having an African name I usually stay out of that argument. Especially when you were born here and can see all the products of racism overlooked by many. People with these slave master given names and the criticism/jokes that go along with the more popular ones like Tobey is just ignorant shh and is built on a foundation of trying to be superior to someone because of a name (main reason they try to joke on somebody with an African name). At the end of the none of us chose our names(although we can change them when of age) so it is a non-issue and should be more an more recognized as such.

^^^

just don't respond to that guy, leave him be. he'll just find a way to derail the thread with some nonsensical jargon
laugh.gif
I mean, the things he's said outside this thread nonwithstanding (since they're not important) aside, he's making a lot of sense.

Aiight look man... If you come across a black man named Toby, what's your FIRST thought? Don't lie. That's ALL this thread is about. You AUTOMATICALLY think slave/kunta/etc. I had never met any black man with that name and couldn't comprehend how a parent would name their child that. THAT'S IT! lol

I haven't seen Roots in years. The emotional impact is fading from my memory. Probably replaced it with that Chappelle skit.

And Anton, having an African name I usually stay out of that argument. Especially when you were born here and can see all the products of racism overlooked by many. People with these slave master given names and the criticism/jokes that go along with the more popular ones like Tobey is just ignorant shh and is built on a foundation of trying to be superior to someone because of a name (main reason they try to joke on somebody with an African name). At the end of the none of us chose our names(although we can change them when of age) so it is a non-issue and should be more an more recognized as such.

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

i know a dude named Tobias
I always wonder are there people with the surname Hitler

Read somewhere he had family in America the government let them change their names

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

i know a dude named Tobias
I always wonder are there people with the surname Hitler

Read somewhere he had family in America the government let them change their names

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

^^^

laugh.gif

Ironically I was tryna make a point about lost heritage and severed connections to the motherland, people that I would expect to agree with what I said got defensive
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

The name Tobey is no worse than having the last name Jefferson.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

^^^

laugh.gif

Ironically I was tryna make a point about lost heritage and severed connections to the motherland, people that I would expect to agree with what I said got defensive
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

The name Tobey is no worse than having the last name Jefferson.

There's a black guy named Tobi in my school. Darker than most people.
He got into Stanford.

There's a black guy named Tobi in my school. Darker than most people.
He got into Stanford.

^^^

laugh.gif

I'm saying that "Toby" isn't the stereotypical name associated with white oppression of black folk.  How is that hard to comprehend?

^^^

laugh.gif

I'm saying that "Toby" isn't the stereotypical name associated with white oppression of black folk.  How is that hard to comprehend?

Back
Top Bottom