***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

Yeah well, we're in a bit of a slump. We can get hot again, but it does seem like there's a dark rain cloud following the team around (literally).

At least the Rockies lost today
tired.gif

Originally Posted by UsedToBeCool

OT: On Monday, Jason Schmidt is scheduled to make his first start in over 2 years.
damn he fell off. i always wondered where he's been.. what happened anyways? shoulder or somethin' ? or just plain 'ol stinkin it up.

Originally Posted by chr1scross

OT: On Monday, Jason Schmidt is scheduled to make his first start in over 2 years.
damn he fell off. i always wondered where he's been.. what happened anyways? shoulder or somethin' ? or just plain 'ol stinkin it up.
All the above

[h3]Schmidt to start for Dodgers on Monday[/h3]Righty's return marks first Major League outing since '07

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

07/18/09 8:24 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- Jason Schmidt, out more than two years with shoulder problems, will start for the Dodgers against the Reds on Monday night, manager Joe Torre announced Saturday.

It will be Schmidt's first Major League appearance since June 16, 2007, and another chapter in a remarkably frustrating saga for the 36-year-old former All-Star and the club that signed him as a free agent after the 2006 season.

The decision to start Schmidt was made because the Dodgers are desperate for a fifth starter and curious to see if Schmidt has anything left after an on-again, off-again rehab ordeal. Swingman Jeff Weaver pitched 4 1/3 innings Friday night after Chad Billingsley's early knockout or he would have started Monday, Torre said.

In rehab stints this year, Schmidt went 1-1 with a 2.25 ERA in two starts for Class A Inland Empire and 2-0 with a 4.18 ERA in six appearances (five starts) for Triple-A Albuquerque. His longest start was 7 2/3 innings on June 26 and his most recent start was July 12.

"We're going to see what we have," Torre said. "I haven't talked to him. Velocity-wise, we all know he's not what he once was. He seems to be able to pitch within his ability. Knowing how to pitch is what he'll have to rely on. Physically, he seems to be OK. He's throwing 100 pitches. We're all anxious to see what it will be on Monday. It doesn't matter what I say, we'll have to look at it."

Schmidt signed a three-year, $47 million deal during the Winter Meetings of 2006 to be the workhorse of the starting rotation, but he reported to his first Dodgers Spring Training and never looked right. He lacked velocity and command in games and even noticed his long tosses weren't going very long, something he described as "the first tipoff" of trouble.

With much expected from Schmidt as the centerpiece of offseason changes going into the 2007 season, he made only six regular-season starts, went 1-4 with a 6.31 ERA and underwent exploratory surgery on June 20. Dr. Neal ElAttrache repaired a labrum tear, a frayed biceps tendon and cleaned up scarring in the bursa sac. The labrum tear was not anticipated and was the most severe of the three injuries, requiring anchors to reattach it to the bone and a lengthy recovery time to ensure it won't detach.

The labrum is cartilage that forms a cup in the ball-and-socket shoulder joint, allowing the head of the upper arm a wide range of motion. The tear, common among pitchers, was at the posterior rim of the shoulder socket. The biceps tendon attaches into the shoulder socket and the bursa decreases friction between the tendon and bone. The combination of damage was believed responsible for Schmidt's dramatic loss of velocity.

Schmidt came to training camp in 2008 encouraged and the club joined him after a very impressive initial bullpen session, but that triggered a major setback with discomfort down his arm. He worked his way back for a pair of Minor League rehabilitation assignments, pitching in four games from June 28 through July 13, shutting down for six weeks, then making another attempt Aug. 29, before being shut down for the season.

Before the 2007 operation, Schmidt told doctors the pain he felt was located somewhere else altogether, in the acromio-clavicular joint, where the collarbone meets the scapula (shoulder blade) at the top of the shoulder. The pain persisted after the first operation and despite several false starts on the rehab trail, he never made it back to the Major Leagues last year. It wasn't until doctors removed the arthritic tip of the clavicle last September that Schmidt noticed "instant relief."

He came to training camp this spring as Torre's front-runner for the fifth-starter spot but lacked the arm strength and command to make a serious run at the job. Since June 21, he has made five consecutive starts on regular rest.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Damn, i hope Schmiddy does alright.

sick.gif

I'd imagine he'd get booed to the fullest.

I think its been over 2 years since we last saw him in the bigs.

At least his contract is coming off the books this season
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by chr1scross

steroids-copy.jpg

Does anyone agree that Renteria is just a big waste of space??? Dude is nothing like he was on the Marlins or even the Cardinals.. but then again.. aren'tall players who come to the Giants like that.. ie. Zito (despite having a good year without run support) Rowand was even better in Phili

Originally Posted by Stormy1015

Does anyone agree that Renteria is just a big waste of space??? Dude is nothing like he was on the Marlins or even the Cardinals.. but then again.. aren't all players who come to the Giants like that.. ie. Zito (despite having a good year without run support) Rowand was even better in Phili

I think everyone agrees. New around here?

Everyone who watches baseball knew that was the case as soon as he was signed. Giants are known for signing guys when their glory days are long gone.

Yea, been a Giants fan forever but new around HERE... So whose bat is available for the Giants to go out and get if they were actually THINKING about improvingthe offense?

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Originally Posted by Dr 715

I CAN'T FIND THAT VIDEO!

I SUCK AT THE INTERNET.
Someone give the baby its bottle.

Damn you're clever, dunny.

I appreciate the fact that you take your time to meticulously (that word means to be very precise) look through this thread.

Honestly, one bat is going to do much and the front office knows that. They're not going to give up some prospects for one hitter. So I kind of believethey won't make any major moves. I would like to get Matt Holiday, but only if we could sign him up long term. Renting him for the second half and losingprospects isn't a good idea. Especially because one player won't do much for this offense. There's a lot of holes in this line up and now thatthey're cold its showing big time. If when they're all hot a true Giants fan knew we still needed hitting. I bet all those people saying we needed abat are know singing a different tune. We need another outfielder, a 1B, and a 2nd basemen IMO.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Honestly, one bat is going to do much and the front office knows that. They're not going to give up some prospects for one hitter. So I kind of believe they won't make any major moves. I would like to get Matt Holiday, but only if we could sign him up long term. Renting him for the second half and losing prospects isn't a good idea. Especially because one player won't do much for this offense. There's a lot of holes in this line up and now that they're cold its showing big time. If when they're all hot a true Giants fan knew we still needed hitting. I bet all those people saying we needed a bat are know singing a different tune. We need another outfielder, a 1B, and a 2nd basemen IMO.
I'm just going to co-sign whatever this man says.

Back
Top Bottom