***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

Originally Posted by EZLN1

it gets worse

6:19pm: Kovacevic says that no money is being exchanged in the Sanchez deal, which makes it all the more impressive for the Pirates.
Ok now that info does make it hurt a little bit. Man, the Pirates are a frugal organization. Wth. Anyway, Phillies are up next AND I hope thateveryone boos Shane Victorino.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

If we got Sanchez I'd rather move Uribe to SS and bring expensive Renteria off the bench
And have Uribe take more at bats? I'll pass with that...Atleast Renteria can drive in runs. Welcome to SF Freddy Sanchez.
WGM I thought about it but no Renteria is robbing us $$$$$ wise so he need to be out there.

Let me put this in prospective.

Are we better now than we were better yesterday? Yes

Is Uribe a better back-up than starter? Yes.

We gave up what... a 5th best pitching prospect? Gotta make the move.

I wish we had made a move for an outfileder but we got better with these two moves.
it gets worse

6:19pm: Kovacevic says that no money is being exchanged in the Sanchez deal, which makes it all the more impressive for the Pirates.

We dont need money
laugh.gif

Shane Victorino
mad.gif

Man I really jinxed us on that one...sorry
laugh.gif

I still think it's a good trade. If they look at it in simple terms, they're trading Alderson to make the playoffs. Sabean has always believed that ifyou make the playoffs you always have a decent chance at winning the World Series. The Giants win close games in a pitchers park, so a guy like Sanchez shouldhelp a lot.

Also, while I really liked Alderson as a 6'7 pitcher with good control, he's not a high K guy and he's right handed. Not only are they a dime adozen (well not height-wise), they very well might have drafted a better pitcher in Wheeler this year. Bumgarner and Pucetas are the most MLB-ready on the farmIMO, so if you're looking for the Giants next back of the rotation guy, Alderson had some work to do anyways.

Sanchez is on KNBR

Ralhp just threw a stat out there in over 1,800 plays/attempts he has made 35 errors

eek.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

^ Nice
pimp.gif

And Burn I'm with you...we need to find a way to make the playoffs then make a run...having Lincecum and Cain pitching 4 games in the first round is moneyand hopefully Johnson will be back

I don't think I could stand to watch Zito in the playoffs, even though he's stepped it up lately

Man, the bullpen has been so effective this year because they've been able to plan accordingly. Go out and party the nights before Lincecum and Cain pitchand stay in and buckle down for Zito, Sanchez, and Sadowski.

johnson is done....I wouldn't be surprised if he just retires.

so many domino effects going down right now....johnson's future is in doubt, and now sanchez is no longer trade bait
off season, we dont sign dunn or any legit HR/clean up hitter....2 trades down, and we STILL dont get close to filling that gaping hole.
i'm pissed....so much money thrown to rowand and renteria, marginal upgrades for 2 of our best pitching prospects, and we still got molina hitting4th
indifferent.gif

that's what happens when you have no plan on how to rebuild a team, and a GM with no sense of direction

Generally speaking, Sabean has been spot on with trading pitching prospects. The majority of pitching prospects he has traded have turned out to be trash inthe MLB. I cant believe so many of you are against this trade. Great deal, IMO. Super happy with it.

We're better, but we overpaid. I thought the whole reason we weren't looking at middle of the lineup type guys is because we didn't want to give upa guy like Alderson? I hope this trade doesn't come back and bite us in the %!! a few years down the road.

This is what you guys get when all you do is !$!*+ about our offense
smh.gif
I hate this trade and thought our team was fine the way it was. This is not the yearfor us to go selling away all our talent for a quick fix. If we get lucky and make the playoffs great but if not we can rest assured that our time will come ina couple years to make a really great attempt at being world champions.

I know the FO had to do it to appease the masses, and keep them from going on a crusade for Sabeans head. It doesn't surprise me, but I'm still nothappy with it. Sanchez, I really hope you turn out to be a stud at second base otherwise
mad.gif

I agree with dland24 in that the pitching prospects that Sabean has traded, not many have become anything. Yes Alderson is a good prospect, but I doubt hebecomes anything higher than a #3. Sanchez solidifies the 2B position for hopefully a long time. Also Alderson's motion is not pretty to watch...veryherky-jerky.

I'm not overly ecstatic about the trade, but I'm not down on it like a lot of you guys. I'm somewhere in the middle...gonna give it some time topass judgment.

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

This is what you guys get when all you do is !$!*+ about our offense
smh.gif
I hate this trade and thought our team was fine the way it was. This is not the year for us to go selling away all our talent for a quick fix. If we get lucky and make the playoffs great but if not we can rest assured that our time will come in a couple years to make a really great attempt at being world champions.

I know the FO had to do it to appease the masses, and keep them from going on a crusade for Sabeans head. It doesn't surprise me, but I'm still not happy with it. Sanchez, I really hope you turn out to be a stud at second base otherwise
mad.gif

We overpaid...PERIOD. You dont trade one of your top prospects for a player about to be salary dumped. The trade makes no sense at all, and I congratulate thePirates for fleecing BS.
Well done.

But I dont agree with your 2nd statement. The masses, most importantly the ones who fill in the stands, probably have no idea who Sabean is, and could careless. They were perfectly fine filling in the stands these last couple of years as they watched bonds make history, while the team was utter thrash. Now, theyhave cain, lincecum, and pablo to root for...Sabean's job wouldn't have been in danger. Those fans are too busy sipping on their spritzer and eatingtheir overpriced cha cha bowls to ever give a @!!$ about the direction of this team.

EZLN1- pitching is not the problem hitting is. We need to weed out the below average hitters on this team. At best he was our 4th best prospect. I turstSeabean knows what hes doing.

Where is Thomas Neal on Baseball America's Giants Top 10 Prospects list? IMO he is easily a better prospect than Conor Gillaspie.

EZLN1........where do you keep getting this notion that trading Sanchez was a "salary dump?" Do you even know what a salary dump is? The Piratestried to extend Sanchez' contract, he turned it down which essentially was his way of saying he was gone after the season. So the Pirates did what theyshould have done.....traded him and got something for him. That, is NOT a salary dump.
laugh.gif

I might call in tonight with D Bruce who's with me
nerd.gif

And yes I will shout you guys if I do
laugh.gif

I think I mentioned on here earlier that my brother met Freddy Sanchez at the airport in Pittsburgh as he was getting off the plane from the ASG. My brothergot his Pittsburgh to SF plane ticket signed. How ironic is that?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

EZLN1........where do you keep getting this notion that trading Sanchez was a "salary dump?" Do you even know what a salary dump is? The Pirates tried to extend Sanchez' contract, he turned it down which essentially was his way of saying he was gone after the season. So the Pirates did what they should have done.....traded him and got something for him. That, is NOT a salary dump.
laugh.gif
uhm, no.
Sanchez offered the Pirates this contract: $6MM next year, $6.5MM in 2011 and $7.5MM in 2012 to keep him on the team.
The Pirates declined, and then proceeded to trade him. And we picked up this year's salary.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by EZLN1

Originally Posted by dland24

EZLN1........where do you keep getting this notion that trading Sanchez was a "salary dump?" Do you even know what a salary dump is? The Pirates tried to extend Sanchez' contract, he turned it down which essentially was his way of saying he was gone after the season. So the Pirates did what they should have done.....traded him and got something for him. That, is NOT a salary dump.
laugh.gif
uhm, no.
Sanchez offered the Pirates this contract: $6MM next year, $6.5MM in 2011 and $7.5MM in 2012 to keep him on the team.
The Pirates declined, and then proceeded to trade him. And we picked up this year's salary.
indifferent.gif
Before that though Sanchez turned down an extension the Pirates offered him.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Originally Posted by UsedToBeCool

Thomas Neal isn't on Baseball America's Giants Top 10.
Yeah I know. That's my point. He should be.
Prolly b/c the list they have up was made in January. Plus, Neal didn't come out as a highly touted prospect and he only really startedtearing up low-A last season. Obviously, he's going crazy in high-A now and has better numbers than Gillaspie

Originally Posted by LB510

I might call in tonight with D Bruce who's with me
nerd.gif

And yes I will shout you guys if I do
laugh.gif
I'll be listening. Be sure to shout out NT haha

D Bruce ftw
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom