***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

It's official. Penny to the Giants.

[h1]Giants To Sign Brad Penny[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 31 at 2:17pm CST]

The Giants will sign Brad Penny, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com. They'll pay him only the pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary, which is only about $75k at this point.

The Giants now have a formindable rotation. Penny, Barry Zito and Jonathan Sanchez join Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain to form arguably the best rotation in baseball. The Giants, who are tied for the NL Wild Card lead, expect Randy Johnson to return as a reliever sometime in September.
I don't like this move at all.

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

It's official. Penny to the Giants.

[h1]Giants To Sign Brad Penny[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 31 at 2:17pm CST]

The Giants will sign Brad Penny, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com. They'll pay him only the pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary, which is only about $75k at this point.

The Giants now have a formindable rotation. Penny, Barry Zito and Jonathan Sanchez join Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain to form arguably the best rotation in baseball. The Giants, who are tied for the NL Wild Card lead, expect Randy Johnson to return as a reliever sometime in September.
I don't like this move at all.

why not? they're paying him 75k and he's a proven starter who can at least give some guys a day off and can be a spot starter. I don't see anydrawbacks to signing Penny at all

Originally Posted by Uter Zorker

Is Penny going to be the 5th starter for sure? Or rotating that spot with him working out of the bulpen?

I'm guessing now the 5th spot is Penny's spot to lose

Originally Posted by Uter Zorker

why not? they're paying him 75k and he's a proven starter who can at least give some guys a day off and can be a spot starter. I don't see any drawbacks to signing Penny at all
I don't care what they're going to pay him. Look at his stats from the month of August.

106kqhh.png

That alone makes me cringe because he's not the same Brad Penny that started the All-Star game some years ago.

Again, Brian Sabean steers away from the real weakness the team has. The offense still needs the upgrade even though they scored 9 runs yesterday. Look at thefirst player they're sending up in pinch-hit roles, Fred Lewis.

^ yes but do you trust Martinez to go out there every 5th day to get the job done? I dont. Are there holes in the offense YES but there just going to have tobe filled in the offseason. No were not getting the same Penny that pitched for the Marlins but were getting a veteran pitcher that carrer wise has dome verrywell against the NL west and has pitched in key games towards the end of seasons

^right now there arent hitters available. i personally like the penny signing because he is coming from the AL east to the NL west, usually pitchers who gofrom AL to NL show improvement. And he is better than Martinez, Sadowski, and who ever else they wanted to fill-in place of RJ. Also 75K for a proven bigleague starter w/ playoff experience is not a bad deal. He could also be a good spot starter and middle reliever when the Giants get a day off so they can skipthe 5th man in the rotation.

Also those number above are from three of the best hitting teams in the whole league, NY, TX, Rays..

Taht is just my opinion, I like the move better than the Garko trade and the Sanchez trade so far.

Originally Posted by LB510

^ yes but do you trust Martinez to go out there every 5th day to get the job done? I dont. Are there holes in the offense YES but there just going to have to be filled in the offseason. No were not getting the same Penny that pitched for the Marlins but were getting a veteran pitcher that carrer wise has dome verry well against the NL west and has pitched in key games towards the end of seasons
I don't trust Martinez either and that's why he's sent down.

To quote Damon Bruce as you like to do a lot, "Who worries about the fifth starter?"

Originally Posted by aec23

Also those number above are from three of the best hitting teams in the whole league, NY, TX, Rays..

Taht is just my opinion, I like the move better than the Garko trade and the Sanchez trade so far.
Those stats are just from August. Looking at his whole season.

33cyog6.png

He hasn't had the ERA below 4.00 at all. It's just something I wouldn't feel comfortable with.

I despise the move to sign Brad Penny, but if he gives decent outings from here on out and puts the teams in situations where they can win, then I was wrong. Who hasn't been wrong before?

We have to wait to see how this all pans out.

Damon Bruce tells it like it is but sometimes he just need to shut the %!*! up am I jumping for joy over having Penny no. Do I think its a marginal upgradeyes. We had a chance to upgrade with Alex Rios and we didn't so thats that I dont see anyone else out there that makes me say "I need that guy."

I was looking at the schedule, and if nothing changes in the rotation, Lincecum, Zito, and Cain are lineup to go against the Rockies when they come back to SanFrancisco.

Damon Bruce tells it like it is but sometimes he just need to shut the %!*! up am I jumping for joy over having Penny no. Do I think its a marginal upgrade yes. We had a chance to upgrade with Alex Rios and we didn't so thats that I dont see anyone else out there that makes me say "I need that guy."
i have a question for you.

why do you feel it's important to upgrade a strength? with the fact that it's been a really good strength all year.

I was looking at the schedule, and if nothing changes in the rotation, Lincecum, Zito, and Cain are lineup to go against the Rockies when they come back to SanFrancisco.

Originally Posted by BDavis5

Damon Bruce tells it like it is but sometimes he just need to shut the %!*! up am I jumping for joy over having Penny no. Do I think its a marginal upgrade yes. We had a chance to upgrade with Alex Rios and we didn't so thats that I dont see anyone else out there that makes me say "I need that guy."
i have a question for you.

why do you feel it's important to upgrade a strength? with the fact that it's been a really good strength all year.
An upgrade is an upgrade no matter if it's a strength or weakness. At this point in the season, a minor upgrade may make the differencebetween playoffs and no playoffs.

I don't see what the big deal is. There is virtually no risk in this move.

BDavis5- our 5th starter hasn't produced all year Sadowski/Martinez has been far from a strenght.

I don't mind the Penny signing at all...Penny > Martinez/Sadowski.....

just read on espn's ticker that the white sox are putting Dye and Thome on the trading block...wouldn't mind picking up either one of them

Back
Top Bottom