***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

Yeah baby!
10e09zr.gif

Now we need Arizona to beat Colorado!

damn d'backs cant hold a lead for haren. welp giants need to keep moving with cain tomorrow and hope for the best with arizona

most of them got banned in bunches tho, like when i lost YOUNG AP, i lost like 2 others. smh

Lewis unhappy in reduced role, looking for change

MILWAUKEE - Not long ago, the Giants anointed Fred Lewis as Barry Bonds' successor in left field. Now Lewis is strictly a pinch hitter.

And he isn't adapting well to a limited role.

"I feel I'm unwanted here," Lewis said Friday. "I know what kind of athlete I am. I don't deserve to sit on the bench. I honestly think I should be getting more at-bats. I'm looking forward to the offseason and coming in next year, with whatever team that might be. I've got a lot to prove and I'm carrying it on my shoulders every day."

Sources said Lewis asked Giants management for a change of scenery shortly after he lost his everyday job in mid-June, but he received no response. The Giants have no obligation to trade Lewis this winter, either, but he'll be out of minor league options.

Is it possible Lewis could start fresh and win a starting role next spring?

"I don't see it," he said. "I don't even think I'll be here next year. I'm looking forward to the offseason and less headaches. I'm leaving it in God's hands and maybe good things will happen."

Lewis followed his comments by stressing that he is taking his role seriously, knowing its importance for a contending club. Manager Bruce Bochy picked Lewis over a half-dozen other options to pinch hit for Travis Ishikawa with two outs and the tying run at third base in the ninth inning Thursday. Lewis tapped into a fielder's choice against Phillies closer Brad Lidge.

"I come in every day with a smile," Lewis said. "I hope we make it as far as we can. That would surprise a lot of people. My focus is on that, on trying to help us get as many wins as we can."

Lewis has only 16 RBI, but his .765 OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) makes him one of just four Giants hitters who are above the league average (.741).

The question arises, was Gallardo trying to hit Cain after Suppan tried to hit Sandoval yesterday after 5 pitches and failed miserably? I guess we'll seehow Cain interpreted that when Gallardo goes up to bat.

Back
Top Bottom