Sha Money XL Named Sr. Vice President of Def Jam, Will He Bring G-Unit to Def Jam?

Executive Decisions: Sha Money XL

shamoneyxl.jpg%20alt=

Sha Money XL
(G-Unit co-founder, former G-Unit Records President)

Queens is in the building — again. Sha Money XL has signed on to become the senior VP of A&R at Def Jam Records. The label has had such a rich history of Queens-bred fellas in the boardroom, from its founder Russell Simmons to Irv Gotti to one of Sha's mentors, the late Jam Master Jay. XL is excited to plant his flag in the cherished hip-hop recording house.

"I've been floating around this industry since I've just been executive-producing 50 [Cent]'s albums," XL explained Thursday at the MTV offices. "Freelancing, doing my own thing. I've been able to meet with L.A. Reid. We've been having some great conversations. Finally, the call came. It felt so good. Def Jam is such a strong company and strong roster. The staff is amazing. I felt it instantly. I knew that this is something I can do with my New York vision and New York swag and bring that for all the guys that's based out here. And the things that was needed to excite the industry as well, internally and externally. I connect with everybody by all levels."

Sha said that after being with the G-Unit for so many years, there is no such thing as pressure to him anymore.

The G-Unit co-founder talks about his newly minted postion as Def Jam Vice President of A&R

MTV Shows

"I work good under pressure," he said. "Working with 50, I know what needs to get done. I don't feel pressure. I do the things that need to be done. As long as artists listen and we really become businessmen in this business, as we say we are, I think we should all prosper. I'm looking to make the company more money and take it to the top, the highest level."

So with 50 Cent a free agent, free to bring himself and his label — which includes Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo — anywhere he pleases, will Sha try to secure a spot for his longtime friends at Def Jam?

"I spoke to Fif, to [his manager Chris] Lighty. I would love to see that there," Sha admitted. "Banks has an amazing record right now, independently. If things work out, then yeah, I would love to see that happen."

If the Unit came to Def Jam, things would get interesting, to say the least. Shyne, Rick Ross, Nas and DJ Khaled, people who Fif and the Unit have had problems with through the years, are all on the roster.

"I'm a businessman," Sha Money said when asked how he would feel having the Unit in the same building with some of their adversaries. "The beef stuff, I'm over. We at a certain point in life where we don't even need that. We eat that. So I will let them speak for their own, but honestly, I would like to see a company continue to grow. And I think G-Unit is in a position — coming from an independent space — that can continue to do their thing. I would like to provide an opportunity for them to continue to grow."

While the Unit deal is just in the talking stages now, Sha says his top priority is making sure Juelz Santana gets his LP out. XL already has his sights set on DJ Toomp to get in the lab with Juelz.

Source: MTV

So what's The Dreams title @ IDJ??...

That's a good move tho... I think this is laying the groundwork for Banks to sign over there...

I also remember talk of 50 becoming presdent @ IDJ... If they can overcome he pettiness, which I think Sha Money will be more than willing to do, I can see that happening...

Def Jam really has nothing to lose @ this point since a certain somebody drove the label into theground during is presidency...

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

The hell has he done lately?

Not a damn thing. I mean good luck to dude. I'm always for brotha's getting higher position titles at record labels but at the end of the day LA got final say and until that ends Def Jam is gonna continue to be the r&b label it is.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

That's a good move tho... I think this is laying the groundwork for Banks to sign over there...

I also remember talk of 50 becoming presdent @ IDJ... If they can overcome he pettiness, which I think Sha Money will be more than willing to do, I can see that happening...

Def Jam really has nothing to lose @ this point since a certain somebody drove the label into theground during is presidency...

As much negativity as you talk about Def Jam recently how did I know that you would be 100% behind this move just because
eyes.gif
.  You dudes truly are something else. 

this is good for producers. I dont know about artist though. Cuz Sha def know how to pick beats.

I know Ross is tight. He was the same one talking down on them
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

As much negativity as you talk about Def Jam recently how did I know that you would be 100% behind this move just because
eyes.gif

I guess G Unit isn't OVER like you thought it would be...

I guess you're required to start HATING IDJ now...

Don't worry tho, as long as Steadman is alive you're a millionare...

Dream is Executive Vice President of Island. lol...50 will never be president here, trust.

eyes.gif

Make no mistake about it champ, G-Unit is still dead and buried, ashes to ashes and dust to dust.  It's time for fans like you and other to realize that, now you can hate it or love it, but it is what it is. 

Even tho Banks is in the middle of a bidding war G Unit is dead??... OK

Man them dudes who made Stanky Leg had dudes in a "bidding war". Labels will go after anyone who's single has minimal buzz. Lloyd better head over to E1 like Mobb Deep did because he's gonna do nothing but lose on Def Jam.

eyes.gif

Make no mistake about it champ, G-Unit is still dead and buried, ashes to ashes and dust to dust.  It's time for fans like you and other to realize that, now you can hate it or love it, but it is what it is. 

On some real !%@ does Sha even affiliate himself with G-Unit? I read a interview last year sometime and he said he had no ties to them anymore and that he had moved on.

How many plaques is on them Stanky Leg Ns walls??...

Did you even watch the video?? I think he more than expressed his intrest in bringin G Unit to IDJ... He called 50 and Chris Lighty before makin the move...

Doesn't exactly sound like someone who wants no ties to them...

Congrats to dude but shid they hand out these type of desk jobs to whoever ask for them i.e Scarface, Khaled, Luda, Dream, Jay.

Only one that was semi successful was Jay and they got rid of that *%%#* and is still eating off the artist he signed

Back
Top Bottom