Shaq autobiography has landed

I'm a huge Kobe fan but I wouldn't be surprised that he has a standoff attitude to his teammates. I remember Derek Fisher said that he has never even been to Kobe's house once. All this titles we've won and he's never even seen your house? But hey I guess he was there to win not make friends.

I will cop this book.

Shaq's book in 02 was a golden nugget as well, will definitely be copping again this time around

From Shaquille O’Neal’s biography Shaq Talks Back:

To me, pressure is where your next meal is coming from.  So while I wasn’t under any real life pressure to win a title, I knew it was gonna be hard to win it.  I knew that everything had to be right, especially with Tim Duncan and the Spurs ready to defend their championship.

A lot of people believed that’s what motivated me, because people were saying Duncan was the best player in the game.  That wasn’t it.  Would they ever give me that title?  Probably not.  Tim has a nice all-around game.  My game is more dominant in the middle.  But there was an ego aspect to my desire to win a title, and it had nothing to do with Tim.

I’m thinking, Punk-%%$ David Robinson got one before I did?  That made me really mad.  Oh, man.  David Robinson had a ring before me.  I’m crushed and I’m hurt.

Me and Dave have history.  I looked up to him when I was at Cole High in San Antonio, and he was just starting out with the Spurs.  I was a player-of-the-year for my high school.  He was player-of-the-year for the Spurs.  One time I asked him for an autograph.

He wrote his name real quick and was like, “Yeah, come on, hurry up.

Shaq is a fool for that
roll.gif

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

Shaq's book in 02 was a golden nugget as well, will definitely be copping again this time around

From Shaquille O’Neal’s biography Shaq Talks Back:

To me, pressure is where your next meal is coming from.  So while I wasn’t under any real life pressure to win a title, I knew it was gonna be hard to win it.  I knew that everything had to be right, especially with Tim Duncan and the Spurs ready to defend their championship.

A lot of people believed that’s what motivated me, because people were saying Duncan was the best player in the game.  That wasn’t it.  Would they ever give me that title?  Probably not.  Tim has a nice all-around game.  My game is more dominant in the middle.  But there was an ego aspect to my desire to win a title, and it had nothing to do with Tim.

I’m thinking, Punk-%%$ David Robinson got one before I did?  That made me really mad.  Oh, man.  David Robinson had a ring before me.  I’m crushed and I’m hurt.

Me and Dave have history.  I looked up to him when I was at Cole High in San Antonio, and he was just starting out with the Spurs.  I was a player-of-the-year for my high school.  He was player-of-the-year for the Spurs.  One time I asked him for an autograph.

He wrote his name real quick and was like, “Yeah, come on, hurry up.

Originally Posted by laker4lifeman

Originally Posted by vanexellent

Im sure it will be full of the usual Shaq excuses and fingerpointing without owning up to his own faults. Like his splits from Orlando, Los Angeles, and Miami were not his fault at all. And if says Kobe ratted to Jerry West about rookie hazing, will Shaq own up to ratting to West about Van Exel's Cancun chant?
Yeah. What chant?
During the 98 playoff series against the Jazz in which the Lakers were again getting beaten down, during a huddle in practice instead of chanting something like "1-2-3 team" to break the huddle, Van Exel said "Cancun" meaning he was ready for vacation. So Shaq goes and tells Jerry West and Nick is traded that summer. His next target was Eddie Jones by telling the press he wanted a 3pt shooter instead of someone taking Rex Chapman fallaways. 

Im sure it will be full of the usual Shaq excuses and fingerpointing without owning up to his own faults. Like his splits from Orlando, Los Angeles, and Miami were not his fault at all. And if says Kobe ratted to Jerry West about rookie hazing, will Shaq own up to ratting to West about Van Exel's Cancun chant?
Yeah. What chant?
During the 98 playoff series against the Jazz in which the Lakers were again getting beaten down, during a huddle in practice instead of chanting something like "1-2-3 team" to break the huddle, Van Exel said "Cancun" meaning he was ready for vacation. So Shaq goes and tells Jerry West and Nick is traded that summer. His next target was Eddie Jones by telling the press he wanted a 3pt shooter instead of someone taking Rex Chapman fallaways. 
eek.gif
 strong ratio.

ego messed up one of the greatest tandems ever... both of them were childish...

damn what if they actually worked it out and put all the nonsense aside? 6 or 7 championships IMO

Pmatic, If you dont think the fact that Brian isnt scared and isnt going to coddle Kobe didnt factor into that decision your losing it.
but no dad or mom, no teammates, who attended Kobe's wedding?

Kobe Bryant - "That's when I asked if I could *** in her face, she said no

Detective - "So you like to *** in your partner's face?"

Kobe Bryant -" That's my thing, not always, so I stopped. Jesus Christ man"

Yeah. What chant?

That trade to Denver killed NVE's career.  JW knew what he was doin' when he sent him to a team that he knew would not threaten the Lakers.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by lawdog1

The Will Smith comment wouldn't have really made sense in 1996, since Smith wasn't a box office superstar yet at that point, but it makes sense now. I think what Shaq is implying is that Kobe had it calculated out how he was going to get to the top of his profession. What he needed to do and how he needed to do it. Kind of like how Will Smith had a plan what to do to be in mega-grossing movies. The reason for the analogy is a little hard to articulate, but I see it.
It's really a matter of how you interpret what Kobe meant by wanting to be the Will Smith of basketball. In 1996, Will had his place in rap history secured, a popular sitcom under his belt, and two blockbuster films. So in that sense, Kobe wanted to be a player known for being diverse and being the best, if not one of the best, in many facets of the game. In hindsight it's kind of worked out in the Will Smith, calculated-movie-star model, so it works both ways. Not trying to start an argument, just offering different perspectives.
no. he meant Robert Horry.

Kobe won in the end, sorry Shaq.

Funny stuff so far though.

But all I gotta say is I will never forget how fat and Lazy Shaq was when he was on the Lakers. I still remember him using "Company Time" to heal his big toe.

Maybe what the Kobester meant by  Being like Will Smith, is that he was going to go from Philly to L.A. and dominate.  Like Will did both in real life and on the show.

Back
Top Bottom