Should everyone in America speak English?

my grandparents got by in Chicago only knowing Polish when they first came here (although that was when there were more Polish-speaking areas and they eventually learned English) but no one should be forced to speak English in America.

we are a salad bowl, screw that melting pot crap.

Originally Posted by zmoney3

everyone in the world should speak English, would make things so much easier in all countries for people from different countries doing business...etc

I know what you're trying to say there, it's just that it would have been more sensitive to put "one language" rather than English.
But yes, in theory at least, having one "world language" would be the most practical form of communication on a global level. 

It doesn't matter which particular language is chosen -you could just as well create a new one or even use sign language for all it matters -it's the universality of it that counts.

The only reason English is primarily put forward in these types of discussions is because at this stage in human history it is the most advanced and most expressive language in the world.

Of course it will never happen and would be impossible to enforce anyway.

Yes you everyone should if you live in the country. I hate that they let people have their language public stores. For example, down the street there is a all spanish speaking grocery store. I don't agree with that.

You should at least know the basics, you never know when a emergency can happen

If I move to another country best believe I may not be fluent, but I'll know the basics

Like how you been here 20 years and can't speak a lick of English, but you call 911 and expect someone to know what you're talking about

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

Originally Posted by zmoney3

everyone in the world should speak English, would make things so much easier in all countries for people from different countries doing business...etc
lol que? so why not chinese since its the most populated country in the world? why not indian? 
Well English is an important language for international business.  At least that's what we learned in my international business classes.  Learning a form of Chinese is important now because of the emerging market.
Knowing English in America would make life easier for people.

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

Everyone in America in the world should be bilingual 

True, problem is though a lot of the rest of the world IS bilingual, the US has most people failing high school spanish meanwhile kids in even less devloped countries can speak 3-4 languages....hell my swedish friend at school speaks english better than 85% of the people I know, which is sad...

sheeeeeeeeeeeeit-o.gif

first language that anybody should speak is "Love"......ok i'm not gandhi, but you guys get the point

f yeah, you come to or born in America you need to learn English. I wouldn't expect to go to another country and have natives cater to my foreign language, you learn the language of the land. This is a huge issue in America and why its current state is %!%%, people have forgotten about hard work and want everything handed to them :smh

Originally Posted by shoediniDC

f yeah, you come to or born in America you need to learn English. I wouldn't expect to go to another country and have natives cater to my foreign language, you learn the language of the land. This is a huge issue in America and why its current state is %!%%, people have forgotten about hard work and want everything handed to them :smh

Are you one of those people who complain when they have to Press 1 for English?

When I went to Costa Rica, I didn't attempt to speak English at all. Just Spanish. Because I knew I was in Costa Rica.

Just saying.

usually its 1 for Spanish, 2 for English. I'm not bothered by it, but intrigued by your point?

Back
Top Bottom