Should the NBA retire the number 23 for Micheal Jordan like the NHL did for Wayne Gretzky?

Originally Posted by Bucknuts116

they wont... and shouldnt... 99 got retired because he is and will always be the best hockey player we will ever see.... no1 will be anywhere close to seting as many records or breakin most of his records... just aint gonna happen... im sure when kobe n bron are done they will be considered better... so you cant..
never say never

That shouldn't even happen. I mean, Gretzky was HANDS DOWN the best hockey player ever. It wasn't even debatable.

In Jordan's case, it is EXTREMELY debatable about him being the greatest of all time. Some people say Kobe, Lebron, Wilt, Magic, Kareem, Bird, etc.

So no, in my opinion, I don't think that they should retire his number for the whole league.

Originally Posted by giveme2pairs

hell yes...this is a good thread...you brought up a great point,and i do not care what anyone says,mj is and will continue to be the greatest bbal player that has ever graced the nba scene...to me the nba is a new league,full of flash and crap,it has lost the fundamentals,and no other player will bring what mj brought to the court...no one will ever live to his legacy and mean what he means to the nba...his number should indefinately be retired,i do not care what anyone has to say about that,and if you know your stuff and have truly followed mj and lived the momments he has given then yu would agree also,anyone who doesnt is a noob in my book....great thread

agree for the most part

What MJ has done for the WORLD of Basketball will never be touched! Yes there may be someone to take it to the next level..... That's just evolution! Butno one will ever do what he has done the way he did it! I mean his game was so beautiful to watch! The way he moved.... it was just pure artistry in motion!and how he made sure the camera's would have enough time to catch that perfect frozen moment! How he carried himself off the court with style andclass....... everything was REAL and GENUINE. With every failure..... His work ethic and drive to succeed which flowed along with his TEAM was so high! How hisname and image is probably one of the most famous in the world which has also led to his success as a businessman especially the way he just turned the sneakergame upside down and to a different level. It wont be done again!

Congrats to your induction to the HOF. The G.O.A.T. in my books! It would be a Great sign of respect for them to retire that jersey #23 but we all know it aintgonna happen because everyone still wants to be like MIKE!

I think they should. We all know why Lebron and others wear the number. They all wanna be like Mike or wish to be better, which will never happen. There willnever be another MJ. As amazing as Lebron is, I never thought he was worthy of wearing 23, nor is any other player. When you think of the number 23, you thinkof greatness and only one name comes to mind, Michael Jordan.

Nah he's a great player but the entire league shouldn't retire his number.

Marketing made Jordan the player he is today. Most people who watched him play when he was in the league remember him through his highlights and pivotal gamesnow. They block off any notion that he went 2-14 shooting some games, drove to the lane and made horrible second thought passes and his shot selection somenights were terrible. You remember the shoes, the endorsements and the countless accolades from one of the biggest marketed athletes. The younger generation ofbasketball fans that never saw him play get brain-fed that he is the greatest and see that he is the only basketball player to have his own brand. What doesthat say? He must be leaps and bounds above the rest. Is he?

I'm not saying he's not great cause he is. He is the best basketball player on the planet. I believe there are a few who are pretty close. Kobe andTimmy are about as fundamentally sound basketball players as his Airness. Flame suit on but I did say he was the best.

Originally Posted by Bucknuts116

they wont... and shouldnt... 99 got retired because he is and will always be the best hockey player we will ever see.... no1 will be anywhere close to seting as many records or breakin most of his records... just aint gonna happen... im sure when kobe n bron are done they will be considered better... so you cant..
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Crazy how NT'ers post exclusively on certain forums. I don'trecognize a SN in here.

But the no. 23 should be retired ASAP. It would be funny to see Lebron not comply. At the rate he is going, he will have a case for being the GOAThimself.

Absolutely not.

Wayne Gretzky was the most domininant athlete of all time.

No one within their respective sport was or is above and beyond the competition like Gretzy was in hockey.

Not even remotely close.

Stop asking this stupid question already!! And stop mentioning Gretzky as a reference. That is hockey. I don't care about hockey and they can retirewhatever numbers they want.

But as far as retiring 23 all over the league, this is stupid. Imagine what some of the other greats would feel like. Like Kareem. The NBA are basically sayingto him: "Sorry, but your 6 rings, 6 MVPs, 19 all-star appearances and the fact that you're the NBA's all-time leading scorer isn't quite goodenough".

Originally Posted by mst9023

they should retire the number 23, in honor of his airness. he was the greatest player to ever walk on the court and out of respect to what he did for the game they need to do this. and dude saying kobe and lebron are better? Michale Jordan was the best basketball player in what i consider the golden age of basketball. he has played with and against some of the greatest players to ever play, and he made most of them look like fools. He revoloutionized the game and all of us who have seen him play live have tried to copy his every move on the court. the nba needs to recognize him as the greatest and retire his number now and make anyone wearing it change it.

There's a lot of nonsense in this thread - and it's been discussed before at great length.

I'm as big an MJ fan as anyone - and I was around to watch the first 3-peat - but his number doesn't need to be retired. I liked what Pat Riley did -but that was because of the great rivalry they'd had over the years rather than just recognising one player.

He didn't revolutionize the game - he did things that Dr J and others did before him - sure, at a greater level and he used his determination and greatathleticism to do some things differently but it wasn't as groundbreaking as the highlight reels make out.

But, he didn't bring anything to the game - he's certainly no Jackie Robinson and in the past 10 years a lot of stuff has come out about his behaviortowards teammates and the public.

I find it funny that all these younger guys think L'BRON and Kobe are better than MJ. When Mike first came in ,people said he was just a scorer. He gotbetter at defense and involving his teammates and then they were able to win. Kobe and Lebron seem to only score, Kobe is a decent defender, but they are notat the level of Mike. Funny how times change, just scoring is what some guys consider good now, but Mike was called a ball hog! Yes the League should retire23, just for the impact alone that Mike had on the league, especially from the global exposure they got because of him.

Originally Posted by kdawg

Originally Posted by mst9023

they should retire the number 23, in honor of his airness. he was the greatest player to ever walk on the court and out of respect to what he did for the game they need to do this. and dude saying kobe and lebron are better? Michale Jordan was the best basketball player in what i consider the golden age of basketball. he has played with and against some of the greatest players to ever play, and he made most of them look like fools. He revoloutionized the game and all of us who have seen him play live have tried to copy his every move on the court. the nba needs to recognize him as the greatest and retire his number now and make anyone wearing it change it.
He didn't revolutionize the game - he did things that Dr J and others did before him - sure, at a greater level and he used his determination and great athleticism to do some things differently but it wasn't as groundbreaking as the highlight reels make out.

Thank you!

I think in the end, Gretzky and Jackie Robinson will be the only #'s that an entire league will retire.

I think those were special circumstances, and we won't see it again. As has been said, if you retire MJ's, why not Wilt, or Kareem?

If you were to retire someobody like.....Peyton Mannings number, why not Montana, or Brady?

Albert Pujols's number, why not A-Rod, or Willie Mays, or Hank Aaron's?

Surely, MJ is close, and out of all the players I mentioned, his name is most deserving and/or worthy of talking about it for what he did for his sport, themarketing and such, and so on, but there's just too many other legends out there that haven't been given the same treatment. Hell, Jerry West isthe logo of the entire league, his jersey number isn't retired by all the other teams. So it wouldn't make sense to do that for Mike.

I don't think some of you all understand the statistical dominance of Wayne Gretzky....there is ZERO debate as to who the best player to ever lace theirskates up in the NHL is. You can definitely make an argument for the top dog in the NBA. Yes, I understand Jordan's historical significance, but there wereother dudes who came well before him (Kareem, Wilt, etc) who MANY can argue had just as much or ever MORE of an impact than Mike. It's no disrespect on mypart cause I think Mike is the greatest player I have ever seen....but I take no offense to the argument for people arguing against the #23 being retiredleague-wide....

more on the heat retiring 23....
from 2003.....cool but sad
laugh.gif
at the same time..
http://

MIAMI (AP) -- The Miami Heat retired Michael Jordan's No. 23 jersey before his final game at the team's arena on Friday night.

The jersey -- half red for the Chicago Bulls and half blue for the Washington Wizards -- was hung from the rafters, and Miami coach Pat Riley said no Heat player will wear the number again.

"In honor of your greatness and for all you've done for the game of basketball -- and not just the NBA, but for all the fans around the world -- we want to honor you tonight and hang your jersey, No. 23, from the rafters," Riley said at midcourt. "No one will ever wear No. 23 for the Miami Heat. You're the best." Jordan then hugged Riley and waved to the crowd.

It was the first jersey the Heat have retired in their 15-year history.

Jordan averaged 30.2 points on 51.5 percent shooting in 37 regular-season games against the Heat during his career. He was even better in the playoffs, averaging 34.2 points in 11 games. Before the ceremony, the Heat also played a highlight video of Jordan on the big screen. It was complete with high-flying, tongue-hanging dunks, ankle-breaking moves, shoulder shrugs, fist pumps and his trademark smile.

http://

Back
Top Bottom