Should voting be mandatory?

seems like it should be. even if you abstain from voting it should be an active activity like u gotta fill out the ballot and select i decline to choose on each of the questions.

Eh that kinda goes against the whole point of "democracy"

Being obligated to vote when the politicians aren't obligated to the promises they make/things they say.

Based on the numbers wouldn't Dems win most of the elections if everyone voted?

Voting has its objectives. But the reasons to really vote can be so subjective or opinionated. It's like ok I'll vote for what I like, but would I really vote for what someone else likes? That's the thing with democracy. It benefits almost everyone if everyone understands the issues of each other. We happen to have a more individualistic society where we are concerned with relevant self interested issues more and gaining benefits from self interested issues.

I think it is mandatory in Australia but nah shouldn't be. Wish more people would get off their *ss and vote tho. If you don't I better not see you complaining.

Yeah dont need it to be mandatory tbh

So many things we can do to make it more accessible

Federal holiday
Automatic registrations
Expanding prepaid vote by mail
Expanding early voting deadlines
Removing Discriminatory Voter ID laws

Just make it at least easier for people to vote to begin with

They should have automatic registration, but not mandatory voting.

People may literally flip a coin on who to vote for if they're forced to. Not sure anyone would want that.

There is no way we can keep fraud and manipulation out of mobile voting.

I disagree, if done right computers/programs should be even more secure.

you pretty much need a SS# to do everything.....thats how you login in to vote with new system in place.

wont be easy, but there are countries that do offer some kind of online voting. france offers online voting if you're out of country.

our problem here is every state is like a country, and would want their own rules etc

maybe we just get started on a national level for president.

I know Australia requires voting and it's probably been around for so long, it has no negative effect on the outcome of elections.

That being said, not sure mandatory is the way to go in today's politic climate. I think teaching the importance/power of voting should be introduce a bit early in schools then it is. I believe the younger vote is lost because theirs a feeling of it doesn't effect me now. I think this is naturally changing as a lot of social issues have been brought it in recent times that have more bearing on younger generations.

Agree the voting process should be streamlined. If not online voting, registering should be easier.

Yeah dont need it to be mandatory tbh

So many things we can do to make it more accessible

Federal holiday
Automatic registrations
Expanding prepaid vote by mail
Expanding early voting deadlines
Removing Discriminatory Voter ID laws

Just make it at least easier for people to vote to begin with

This.just make it easier.

Those that honestly trust an online voting system NOT to be super flawed are trippin.

Identify fraud happens way too often for us to put faith in an online voting system.

Back
Top Bottom